Upgrade Offers

Tutuma

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Tutuma said:

Does Viking offer (pre cruise) significant upgrades for booked guests?  Asking for a friend!

No. Upgrades are like unicorns, everyone has heard of them, few have seen them or can explained why they happened.

It has to be a very specific set of circumstances to occur, such as lack of availability in an easier to sell cabin class and too much availability in a higher class, overbooking, or some other reason for loss of availability (maybe your booked cabin has mechanical issues).

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

No. Upgrades are like unicorns, everyone has heard of them, few have seen them or can explained why they happened.

It has to be a very specific set of circumstances to occur, such as lack of availability in an easier to sell cabin class and too much availability in a higher class, overbooking, or some other reason for loss of availability (maybe your booked cabin has mechanical issues).

Totally agree, Joe.

We've been fortunate to experience a "free" upgrade from DV to PV - at the check-in desk.  Note - we did not have a choice, it had been done when we checked in.  We often discussed maybe that's not so good, since we had a pretty good DV room location-wise.  There are some PV cabins I would never want over the DV we had.  But fortunately it was a good PV room.  I was querying a Viking Manager about it.  They said it is indeed random, and often passengers have to cancel at last minute (mostly due to illness, injury, etc).  The person who got our good DV had been last minute upgraded from a V, so it often is a cascading thing.

You just never know - and certainly can't count or plan on it!  Or even know the probabilities.

Viking also has been known to "offer" up ahead of time (weeks) an option to pay a fee to upgrade, but those seem to be rare as well.  We had friends who had that happen.

• Like 1

On a 2022 Into the Midnight Sun voyage we were upgraded from a DV2 on deck 6 to a PV1 on the same deck. We liked the PV1 so much that we booked the exact same cabin for our 2023 trip from New York to Montreal. About a week before leaving on that trip we were upgraded to a PS 1 on deck 8. If we liked the PV1 we loved the PS1 and especially its position on deck 8 with the so called secret door into the upper Explorer's Lounge except when we had 3 days -and nights!- of fog with the fog horn blowing all the time.😀 On both occasions we tried to find out why we had been so lucky to no avail.The only answer we got was that it was for operational reasons. In 5 weeks we are off on the Trade Routes of the Middle Ages in our favourite PV1. I guess there's no chance of "3rd time lucky"!  😀

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Have 100% seen one... happened to table mates of mine who were upgraded from a D to a B. They were first time Viking travelers and they were clueless on who/what/how/why they got upgraded other than it happened.

45 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

Have 100% seen one... happened to table mates of mine who were upgraded from a D to a B. They were first time Viking travelers and they were clueless on who/what/how/why they got upgraded other than it happened.

What's a D and a B ?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

What's a D and a B ?

River cruise 

French Balcony D to Veranda B

Upper deck has French Balcony C, Veranda A, Veranda Suite AA.

Next deck is French Balcony D and Veranda B.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were offered an upgrade from a DV to a PV for peanuts.  Maybe $100 pp?

Viking knew what they were doing when they made their offer because we now book a PV.  

I did just meet a woman on this cruise who got upgraded from a PV to a PS.  She told me that this cruise was for their 40th anniversary.  Maybe it happens more frequently on a milestone occasion?

We never got a free upgrade however twice we were offered upgrades from DV6 to PV1 or PV2 for a price.  The first time it was $399 per person and the second time it was $199 per person.  The difference between the DV's to PV's at the time we booked was $1,200 per person so we thought it was worth it.  The offer came via email one week before the cruise.

12 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

We never got a free upgrade however twice we were offered upgrades from DV6 to PV1 or PV2 for a price.  The first time it was $399 per person and the second time it was $199 per person.  The difference between the DV's to PV's at the time we booked was $1,200 per person so we thought it was worth it.  The offer came via email one week before the cruise.

When you got the offer (for $$) to upgrade, did they tell you the cabin number that was on offer?

10 hours ago, SailorPaulH said:

When you got the offer (for $$) to upgrade, did they tell you the cabin number that was on offer?

The one time we had an upgrade offer (November, 2018), we were given a choice over the phone to pick our upgraded cabin.

That is the first thing we asked.  First time only choice was 6072.  Second time it was 4021 which we loved.  It has window/door combo vs slider which we decided we liked more.  We actually booked that cabin for an upcoming cruise that has 8 sea days.  First time we actually booked a PV.  

The upgrade fairy visited us on our current cruise one week before we left on the Trade Routes Middle Ages cruise. Complimentary upgrade from PV to PJS on deck 8. It's our 41st anniversary so perhaps that's it but our travel agent said it seldom happens in her experience. It's a lovely cabin, larger bathroom, free laundry and more but we won't pay for it. Once in a lifetime for us. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2024 at 4:44 AM, Mich3554 said:

We were offered an upgrade from a DV to a PV for peanuts.  Maybe $100 pp?

Viking knew what they were doing when they made their offer because we now book a PV.  

I did just meet a woman on this cruise who got upgraded from a PV to a PS.  She told me that this cruise was for their 40th anniversary.  Maybe it happens more frequently on a milestone occasion?

It never dawned on me to tell Viking it was our 55th anniversary. Coincidentally, it was embarkation day AND my 55th cruise overall!

And our first dinner did not meet expectations. I thought, darn it! Mr B doesn’t give second chances for first impressions. Very luckily, this time he did! Great servers in The Restaurant and chefs were cooking for us perfectly. I hope we will be equally as happy in December.

Sorry to hijack this thread!

• Like 2