Live from Regatta

judi666

3 hours ago, judi666 said:

They do have the very nice Alberino in the dining room as part of simply more. I have had it most nights.  So you can still look forward to it!  
Yes, lots of wines available by the bottle.  The wine server tonight, mentioned the wines by the glass listed ( and there are about 19 in the dining room) are available, but the many others are only by the bottle.

Its all a little confusing for passengers and servers. In my opinion it was badly thought out and implemented.  Of course you can order what you like and pay for it extra.  The upgraded package would have been almost $2500 on this long cruise.  We didn’t think we would make it worthwhile for us.  However, the server told me today, you can upgrade at any point in the cruise. I’m not a completely sure that’s the case, but one can hope.

I will try to post the wines by the glass in the dining room, forgot this evening.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

We’ve not sailed with Oceania since February last year before SimplyMore was added. From what I remember the Terrace wine menu at lunch was much bigger and we were definitely able to have the Albarino at lunch.

If my memory serves me correctly in the evenings they usually served  a red and a white by the glass. I don’t recall a wine by the glass menu in the evening. If you had a drinks package they served their choice of wines but we often asked for another, maybe a Rioja or a Malbec and they always found us something that was acceptable.

Maybe things have changed!

4 hours ago, Vallesan said:

If my memory serves me correctly in the evenings they usually served  a red and a white by the glass. I don’t recall a wine by the glass menu in the evening. If you had a drinks package they served their choice of wines

You must be thinking of some other cruise line. Oceania has always had a list of choices by the glass with multiple reds & whites, not just either a house red or a house white. 

I did notice on my recent Marina cruise that there were a couple of wines not listed on the Terrace menu that were on the GDR & Specialty restaurant menus, but if you asked for them in the Terrace you could usually get them. I guess I'll find out if that works or not in a couple of weeks from now on Regatta. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, ORV said:

You must be thinking of some other cruise line. Oceania has always had a list of choices by the glass with multiple reds & whites, not just either a house red or a house white. 

I did notice on my recent Marina cruise that there were a couple of wines not listed on the Terrace menu that were on the GDR & Specialty restaurant menus, but if you asked for them in the Terrace you could usually get them. I guess I'll find out if that works or not in a couple of weeks from now on Regatta. 

Yes you’re probably right! Memory could be fading!

You could be right about another line. Certainly on our Silversea cruise at lunch times the sommelier wandered around with a bottle of each and got quite ‘snooty’ when I asked for something different. I was quite surprised to be honest. In the GDR however they learnt our preferences and just used to leave the bottle on the table!

Nothing in life is ‘perfect’ but I’m sure we will all ‘survive’ with what’s on offer.

• Like 2

That is a dramatically shorter Waves BTG wine list.  Disappointing.  I am used to that list maybe dropping 2-3 of the wines from each category vs GDR list.  It shouldn’t be this way, but the other 6-8 wines of each color are probably available for the asking and maybe a 5 minute wait.  If you have problems, I’d ask to talk to the manager (I forget all the titles on various cruise lines) and there should be a head Somm/beverage person for the ship. You should have easy access to all BTG wines.  (BTW, they are the same for the basic and upgraded package; no new included wines, you just get them outside meals, plus alcohol drinks…)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Clutj said:

That is a dramatically shorter Waves BTG wine list.  Disappointing.  I am used to that list maybe dropping 2-3 of the wines from each category vs GDR list.  It shouldn’t be this way, but the other 6-8 wines of each color are probably available for the asking and maybe a 5 minute wait.  If you have problems, I’d ask to talk to the manager (I forget all the titles on various cruise lines) and there should be a head Somm/beverage person for the ship. You should have easy access to all BTG wines.  (BTW, they are the same for the basic and upgraded package; no new included wines, you just get them outside meals, plus alcohol drinks…)

Bad news tonite in Toscana.  The bigger wine list by the glass ( about 20) in the dining venues, is about half gone. I’m sorry I haven’t posted that list.  We were informed that all the Italian and French wines are gone, along with my beloved Alberino and a Wente red are gone.  They don’t plan to restock until San Pedro.  So 9 more days. I wonder how much smaller the list will be by the time we get there. So much for Simply More.  I though it sounded ok and payed about 1.5 k more.  This was mostly for the included wine and beer and

a big issue for us was needing WiFi for 2 devices.  At the time we booked it was $600 more.  Shortly after they changed policy to include two devices for everyone.  I thought, ok, we do get some excursions added in, to make it a good value. ( we usually do a mix of ship and private tours).  The included excursions so far have been fine.  But I may have gone for something different, without  the usual merchant stop, that I have little interest in.

Oh well live and learn…. We do have some wine we brought on board, so will pay the corkage and go from there

We usually just did the cruise only, so sorry that option is gone.  There was nothing I read that indicated the basic package was only on the WBG menu.  That’s probably on me. I would not do it again, unless something changed. 

On another note the cruise had been really great and enjoyable.  We did have an issue with our room being very cold, but it was so hot out, it was ok.  Last night we mentioned for the third time the thermostat was not working.  Some one did come by and fix it.

Im sort of thinking I might be getting too old to enjoy cruising as much as I used to. 

Just now, judi666 said:

Bad news tonite in Toscana.  The bigger wine list by the glass ( about 20) in the dining venues, is about half gone. I’m sorry I haven’t posted that list.  We were informed that all the Italian and French wines are gone, along with my beloved Alberino and a Wente red are gone.  They don’t plan to restock until San Pedro.  So 9 more days. I wonder how much smaller the list will be by the time we get there. So much for Simply More.  I though it sounded ok and payed about 1.5 k more.  This was mostly for the included wine and beer and

a big issue for us was needing WiFi for 2 devices.  At the time we booked it was $600 more.  Shortly after they changed policy to include two devices for everyone.  I thought, ok, we do get some excursions added in, to make it a good value. ( we usually do a mix of ship and private tours).  The included excursions so far have been fine.  But I may have gone for something different, without  the usual merchant stop, that I have little interest in.

Oh well live and learn…. We do have some wine we brought on board, so will pay the corkage and go from there

We usually just did the cruise only, so sorry that option is gone.  There was nothing I read that indicated the basic package was only on the WBG menu.  That’s probably on me. I would not do it again, unless something changed. 

On another note the cruise had been really great and enjoyable.  We did have an issue with our room being very cold, but it was so hot out, it was ok.  Last night we mentioned for the third time the thermostat was not working.  Some one did come by and fix it.

Im sort of thinking I might be getting too old to enjoy cruising as much as I used to. 

Except now you cannot purchase a fare without simply more. It is the new base fare.

• Like 2

Just now, TRLD said:

Except now you cannot purchase a fare without simply more. It is the new base fare.

I am aware of this. I’m not being a whiny baby over this.  I just feel the value is not there.  

• Like 3

I agree with most of what @judi666 has said and I am a long time O cruiser with one shortly in the offing. . The attack on her personal views with a desire to prove her wrong do you no favours, you may not agree with her comments but she has the right, the same as you, to express her opinion. Interestingly, regarding the wine lists, when she has shown evidence to back up her comments that she was right regarding the wine choices for SM, no-one has the decency to acknowledge she was correct and they were simply defending their right to be right!

Oceania, in my opinion, has definitely deteriorated over the years but still is a reasonable option for a cruise, if the price is right, this is based on the ships more or less being in good order with high end interior design and acceptable food and, despite the comments towards fellow cruisers on this board would have you believe, when onboard your travelling companions are generally excellent company and not quite so argumentative!!!

• Like 5

Ships running out of various wines has long occurred. Sometimes, as with this cruise, maybe up to 50% if they don’t make a regular stop at one of the major restocking ports. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Ships running out of various wines has long occurred. Sometimes, as with this cruise, maybe up to 50% if they don’t make a regular stop at one of the major restocking ports. 

We travelled on the Seabourn Encore from Singapore to Dubai. We casually asked for Albarino for lunch but they didn’t have any on board. At the very next port they took Albarino onboard and we had it every lunchtime after that. Definitely ‘above and beyond’ especially as we weren’t even in a Spanish area!

However, I must qualify this by saying this was back in 2018! Oh how I times have changed!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tine-tine said:

I agree with most of what @judi666 has said and I am a long time O cruiser with one shortly in the offing. . The attack on her personal views with a desire to prove her wrong do you no favours, you may not agree with her comments but she has the right, the same as you, to express her opinion. Interestingly, regarding the wine lists, when she has shown evidence to back up her comments that she was right regarding the wine choices for SM, no-one has the decency to acknowledge she was correct and they were simply defending their right to be right!

Oceania, in my opinion, has definitely deteriorated over the years but still is a reasonable option for a cruise, if the price is right, this is based on the ships more or less being in good order with high end interior design and acceptable food and, despite the comments towards fellow cruisers on this board would have you believe, when onboard your travelling companions are generally excellent company and not quite so argumentative!!!

Thank you.  I have been a cc member for over 20 years and was a bit incredulous at the very negative posts I received.  

A cruise is certainly not just about wine, cocktails and food. The itineraries are the most important to me, as well as the ease of traveling in my late 70’s. 

This is wonderful itinerary(although I wish they had not cut out a port day, in an already sea heavy cruise).  

We have been on 3 other lines since Covid and have noticed a deterioration of food etc in all. The general crew seems very young, but do a terrific job.  As I said before, Regatta is in near perfect condition, for an older ship. 

Fellow passengers are great as usual.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Clutj said:

What port did they cut?  I did this trip in 2022 and almost did it again this year. 

Lahaina. They had 8 months to find another port and only showed the port was gone ( obviously ) and  changed the schedule about 2 months ago.  Making 6 sea days to San Pedro, instead of 5. Not that big of a deal, but it seemed they could have found something else. 

10 hours ago, judi666 said:

Lahaina. They had 8 months to find another port and only showed the port was gone ( obviously ) and  changed the schedule about 2 months ago.  Making 6 sea days to San Pedro, instead of 5. Not that big of a deal, but it seemed they could have found something else. 

No other place to go other possibilities already have other ships.  To do anything else would have run into other problems. Even to squeeze in what we got meant being in kauai with another ship in port and using dock 3 with a Carnival ship in two.

The port of Maui has an NCL ship doing an over night 13 and 14 so it is out. There is a ship in  Kona on the 14th so it is out.

Posted (edited)

on Kuaui we were at dock 3 because there was supposed to be a Carnival ship at dock 2. it was ahead of us then stopped. We went in and docked, then the Carnival ship just left. 

If they would have canceled earlier it would have been nicer to dock at the normal dock 2 which is a shorter walk.

Edited by TRLD

On 4/11/2024 at 11:54 PM, judi666 said:

Thank you for your posting, enjoying reading.  The corkage charge I really don't understand.  If you don't drink "O's" wine and drink your own--they are saving money.  I could understand if you we're paying for a glass of wine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Thank you for your posting, enjoying reading.  The corkage charge I really don't understand.  If you don't drink "O's" wine and drink your own--they are saving money.  I could understand if you we're paying for a glass of wine.

The corkage charge is only if you take your wine to a dining venue.  It’s not applied if you drink in your cabin.

After or before dinner we are seeing people carrying glasses of wine and bottles of beer all  over the ship, elevators lounges etc.  In 20 years of cruising this has not been the norm. It would be usual that drinking would happen in the bars, your cabin or a dining venue.  Has this become the thing to do on Oceania?   We have not been on another Oceania cruise for 5  years, before this one.

4 hours ago, TRLD said:

on Kuaui we were at dock 3 because there was supposed to be a Carnival ship at dock 2. it was ahead of us then stopped. We went in and docked, then the Carnival ship just left. 

If they would have canceled earlier it would have been nicer to dock at the normal dock 2 which is a shorter walk.

The docking seemed to take a long time.Perhaps we are lucky we got to dock at all.

8 hours ago, judi666 said:

The corkage charge is only if you take your wine to a dining venue.  It’s not applied if you drink in your cabin.

After or before dinner we are seeing people carrying glasses of wine and bottles of beer all  over the ship, elevators lounges etc.  In 20 years of cruising this has not been the norm. It would be usual that drinking would happen in the bars, your cabin or a dining venue.  Has this become the thing to do on Oceania?   We have not been on another Oceania cruise for 5  years, before this one.

I think with SM people may be getting a glass of wine or beer at the end of a meal to take to the show. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

I think with SM people may be getting a glass of wine or beer at the end of a meal to take to the show. 

It really shouldn't be allowed, if you're cruising you should be able to follow the rules.  Taking a glass of wine into dinner is wrong--as well as taking one out of a restaurant.  Why be petty to save a few dollars.  If you want to drink around the ship, buy the drink package.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

It really shouldn't be allowed, if you're cruising you should be able to follow the rules.  Taking a glass of wine into dinner is wrong--as well as taking one out of a restaurant.  Why be petty to save a few dollars.  If you want to drink around the ship, buy the drink package.

I posted this because I read on CC that some people have been doing this. 

1 hour ago, SATaxman said:

I posted this because I read on CC that some people have been doing this. 

I know, I've seem it too...it's just plain being cheap.  Then they wonder why prices go up.

• Like 1

I really hope it doesn't become the norm like on the mega ships where some cruisers take it as a personal challenge to "beat the system" and drink their body weight in booze every day so they can justify in their minds what they paid for the drink package.  

The license in the elevators does not mean you can legally drink there !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SATaxman said:

Is that expressly forbidden?

And, of course, people are drinking free and freely all over the ship on the evening of the Captain's Party.

People who bring their own beer and hard liquor on board should be drinking it in their cabins. And for wine, pay the corkage fee if you want to drink your wine outside your cabin.