Dressing up for dinner aboard the Nautica?

1 hour ago, riversights said:

Do Nautica voyagers dress up for the evening dining experience?  What does the ambiance suggest?  Guide us as we prepare to pack for our Baltic and North Sea sail.   

We wear what we would wear out to a nice restaurant. No sequins or jacket. We just came back from our first HAL cruise, and my husband finally had to pack a jacket. Never had to in our 10 years cruising O. I don't wear heels, but don't wear jeans to dinner, either. Nor does anyone wear expedition gear and runners to dinner, that I have seen. IMHO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for kicking off this discussion.  Is the sailing set beginning to elevate their dining appearance?  Does it signal that the world is weary of looking like the dog-eared sofa they just shared with Muffin?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hokapontas said:

We wear what we would wear out to a nice restaurant. No sequins or jacket. We just came back from our first HAL cruise, and my husband finally had to pack a jacket. Never had to in our 10 years cruising O. I don't wear heels, but don't wear jeans to dinner, either. Nor does anyone wear expedition gear and runners to dinner, that I have seen. IMHO. 

Not sure about this, all HAL requires is a collared shirt and long trousers, we have never taken a jacket, never taken one on Oceania  either!

Did you do a search for dress code Oceania? there are so many threads on that.

Have a great cruise.

Thank you for providing contemporary observation of what is being worn on Nautica.  There's nothing quite like a fresh look at what is walking into the dining room or bar.  

8 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

I would believe it's the same on all "O" cruises.  No jacket required - just a collared shirt and nice pants for men.

Yes, no jacket. I’ve never worn one on O. I did pack one for my first O cruise but Delta decided to lose my luggage.  So I took that as a sign….🙂

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, mantadiver said:

semi-formal

That has some pretty specific definitions but I'd say the least for a man would be nice trousers and a jacket that coordinates with the trousers. Definitely a dress shirt and tie. So, no; no semi-formal on Oceania 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EJL2023 said:

Yes, no jacket. I’ve never worn one on O. I did pack one for my first O cruise but Delta decided to lose my luggage.  So I took that as a sign….🙂

And now my earworm is Delta Dawn

Delta Dawn

Who's that jacket you have on?

Could it be from ELJ's missing bag

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

And now my earworm is Delta Dawn

Delta Dawn

Who's that jacket you have on?

Could it be from ELJ's missing bag

Quite possibly could be!! 8 years later it still has not been located. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

Not sure about this, all HAL requires is a collared shirt and long trousers, we have never taken a jacket, never taken one on Oceania  either!

Did you do a search for dress code Oceania? there are so many threads on that.

Have a great cruise.

He packed one because of 'formal nights'... Wore it twice and didn't feel out of place. Wouldn't next time though on Hal, or ever on O. 

Posted (edited)

I guess I'm a little OLD fashioned on our 13 cruises  on Oceania I always wear a sport jacket in the specialty restaurants.

But that's just my choice. 

Edited by Acrusa
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Hokapontas said:

He packed one because of 'formal nights'... Wore it twice and didn't feel out of place. Wouldn't next time though on Hal, or ever on O. 

That wasn't on O, was it? And he packed "one" of what? A tuxedo?

1 hour ago, riversights said:

Nice frothy discussion.  Best dress in good taste, perhaps a pleasing style, not overdoing it.  

Not overdoing it??? 
I say, GO FOR IT! 🤩

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Not overdoing it??? 
I say, GO FOR IT! 🤩

Okay, she says, "GO FOR IT!"  Do you hear that everybody?  Watch for her in the fast lane.😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, riversights said:

Okay, she says, "GO FOR IT!"  Do you hear that everybody?  Watch for her in the fast lane.😄

Coco Chanel is often credited with saying, “Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and remove one accessory”. This is known as the Chanel rule, and it's based on the idea that the most obvious component of an outfit is likely to be the one that catches your eye first, and removing it can help balance out the whole look. 

I was raised in the South where less is better. 
  • Like 1

We were on Regatta in January for a 14-day New Zealand cruise; I packed a dress for each night! 😀 Nothing formal- just light, summery/flowy dresses that are comfortable. Dresses are my fashion weakness, lol, so a cruise is a perfect opportunity to wear them. 👗

• Like 6

My husband typically wears a long sleeve woven shirt (similar to a dress shirt, but more casual) and long pants. He takes a jacket to wear occasionally only because he likes the look. He's frequently one of only a few with jackets on. I typically wear dressier pants than chinos and a nice top. I wear flat dressy type shoes unless my feet are hurting too bad, at which point I wear a nice dark tennis shoe type shoe or sandals (depending on the weather and the outfit). Supposedly, O is starting to enforce the no jeans or grungy look thing better.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DoulaAnn said:

He takes a jacket to wear occasionally only because he likes the look. 

Mine takes a jacket because he is always cold (and he likes his pockets.)  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Kay S said:

Mine takes a jacket because he is always cold (and he likes his pockets.)  

I like pockets in my slacks and wish to goodness manufacturers would put in some inconspicuous pockets in their pants. 

• Like 1