Seattle hotels and transports

We are first time cruisers and will be departing on 7/21 from Seattle on the Westderdam for an Alaska cruise.   We are flying into Seattle from Oakland, CA, the day before departure and I’m trying to figure out logistics.  Mainly, which hotel is best for the night before, in terms of proximity to cruise port, cruise port transportation, etc.   In particular, we have a 5-year old that requires a car seat so transport like shuttle buses/coaches, would be preferred over private passenger vehicle/van since the later requires car seats.   Thanks in advance for any suggestions/tips.  

Agree, looking on the West Coast Departures board would be beneficial. Be aware, there are no hotels close to the port. The closest hotels are in the northern downtown. 

As to transfers, given your needs,  perhaps HAL transfer and hotel might be your best option, even though they are more expensive. Or check with some of the recommended vendors on the West Coast Departures board tossed if theycan provide child seats.

Thanks! I just posted there as well. 

And yes, I checked out the HAL website and they do offer transfers on their coaches for a fee and that looks like a good bet. 

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, redleader74 said:

We are first time cruisers and will be departing on 7/21 from Seattle on the Westderdam for an Alaska cruise.   We are flying into Seattle from Oakland, CA, the day before departure

Welcome to the world of cruising, and to HAL! Also kudos for flying in the day before embarcation.

Here is the board for West Coast Departures:

West Coast Departures - Cruise Critic Community

Good luck with your logistics!

ETA: Oh I see you found it.

Edited by crystalspin

3 hours ago, redleader74 said:

We are first time cruisers and will be departing on 7/21 from Seattle on the Westderdam for an Alaska cruise.   We are flying into Seattle from Oakland, CA, the day before departure and I’m trying to figure out logistics.  Mainly, which hotel is best for the night before, in terms of proximity to cruise port, cruise port transportation, etc.   In particular, we have a 5-year old that requires a car seat so transport like shuttle buses/coaches, would be preferred over private passenger vehicle/van since the later requires car seats.   Thanks in advance for any suggestions/tips.  

We have stayed in Seattle several times.  We like to stay at the Coast Gateway Hotel.  It is very close to the airport and has a free airport shuttle.  The cruise port is not close to the airport in Seattle, so we usually book the Holland America transfer to the cruise port.  On the morning of the cruise, we go back to the airport and meet Holland America.  We have taken our 4 year old grandson before and had no problem with him riding on the transfer or the hotel shuttle.

Go to the Seattle Express website to see which hotels are their pick up locations. There are loads of them around Seatac. Make a reservation online and they'll pick you up at your hotel and take you to your pier. Easy. 

• Like 1

Looks like admins moved this from another forum.  The existing thread here has already gotten a lot of good input.

23 hours ago, redleader74 said:

Thanks! I just posted there as well. 

And yes, I checked out the HAL website and they do offer transfers on their coaches for a fee and that looks like a good bet. 

I have used cruise line transfers in the past.  It is a lot of hurry up and wait.  We tend to be punctual in our travels, especially if we are making a scheduled service of some kind, like a cruise line shuttle; we don't want to hold everyone up, however our experience is that others aren't so considerate and have no issue showing up 5 or 10 minutes after the scheduled meeting time or even departure time.

On one of our first cruises out of Pier 91 we stayed at a hotel in Seattle close to Mercer street.  The hotel offered a shuttle to port.  It had a 10am departure time.  We were at the shuttle by 9:45.  Most of the rest of the folks showing up for the shuttle were there right about 10, but we were missing a couple.  Driver goes back into the hotel and is gone for 5 or more minutes.  Comes back and indicates that the last passengers scheduled for this shuttle are in the lobby checking out and having to work through some issue on their invoice.  10:20 or so they finally show up, have a bunch of luggage to load in the back and leisurely get in the van, and off we go.  So, while the ship was not scheduled to depart until like 4pm, we were hoping to get on board on the earlier side, have MDR lunch and start relaxing.  Did an extra 20 minutes ruin anything.  No, but it was highly inconsiderate.  And this experience has duplicated itself over and over again with all kinds of shuttles.

Therefore, when I can, I'll do UberXL or a large vehicle Lyft and have my travel party transported on their own, not having to wait for others to get organized.

I recognize my experience may not be others, but when CC members come asking about transportation to and from the port, especially in Seattle, I'm always going to lean toward Uber or Lyft over shuttles based upon my experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We often stay at a hotel at the airport for better pricing.  From there we will take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and ride the light rail into downtown Seattle.  If at pier 66 it is a very short walk/ride to the terminal.  If at pier 91 it will be a ride to the port.  Having said that it is likely easier for you to make it a single ride.

On 4/12/2024 at 12:56 PM, SbbquilterUT said:

From there we will take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and ride the light rail into downtown Seattle.  If at pier 66 it is a very short walk/ride to the terminal.  

We're staying at the Marriott Waterfront.  It looks like the closest light rail station is Westport Center?  The map says it about 3/4 mile walk - but what is the terrain like?  Is it pretty hilly, getting from the station down to the waterfront?  I don't relish the idea of luggage on wheels on a steep hill. . . 

2 hours ago, gzmtlock said:

We're staying at the Marriott Waterfront.  It looks like the closest light rail station is Westport Center?  The map says it about 3/4 mile walk - but what is the terrain like?  Is it pretty hilly, getting from the station down to the waterfront?  I don't relish the idea of luggage on wheels on a steep hill. . . 

We stayed at the Motif which was uphill a couple blocks from the Westlake station.  It is downhill toward the waterfront and in some places stairs you may need to navigate.  

4 hours ago, gzmtlock said:

The map says it about 3/4 mile walk - but what is the terrain like?  Is it pretty hilly, getting from the station down to the waterfront?  I don't relish the idea of luggage on wheels on a steep hill. . . 

There are no steep hills between the Westlake Station and the Marriott Waterfront. Maps may tell you to head towards Pike Place Market and then along Pike Place but it will be packed with people and inconvenient with luggage. From Westlake head north along 1st or 2nd Ave and then west on Bell St. There is an elevator at the end of Bell St. down to the terminal.

14 hours ago, Glaciers said:

There are no steep hills between the Westlake Station and the Marriott Waterfront. Maps may tell you to head towards Pike Place Market and then along Pike Place but it will be packed with people and inconvenient with luggage. From Westlake head north along 1st or 2nd Ave and then west on Bell St. There is an elevator at the end of Bell St. down to the terminal.

Great info, thanks so much!

16 hours ago, SbbquilterUT said:

We stayed at the Motif which was uphill a couple blocks from the Westlake station.  It is downhill toward the waterfront and in some places stairs you may need to navigate.  

Good to know for when we're sightseeing - thanks.

Will be staying at a Seatac hotel prior. Will go back to airport next morning to get HAL SHUTTLE. Does anyone know if luggage goes with us on bus or sent separately and will arrive directly to cabin? Have had it go either way on several other lines.