Why do they offer move up bids for Iconic if sold out?

Just got an offer to bid on a PH and Iconic for our upcoming sailing.  Ship is sold out and final payments are in. Seems like a waste of energy and getting hopes up for something that simply can’t happen… we are in an EV so I am already thrilled, but curious about the rationale here. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WineDown17 said:

Just got an offer to bid on a PH and Iconic for our upcoming sailing.  Ship is sold out and final payments are in. Seems like a waste of energy and getting hopes up for something that simply can’t happen… we are in an EV so I am already thrilled, but curious about the rationale here. 

Back-up plan for them to keep the expensive inventory filled if there is a cancellation between now and sailing date.

• Like 1

Sometimes travel agencies have cabins,even upper levels, they turn back as they havent sold. Celebrity would show sold as technically the cabins are sold but to a travel agency. 

19 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

Sometimes travel agencies have cabins,even upper levels, they turn back as they havent sold. Celebrity would show sold as technically the cabins are sold but to a travel agency. 

I have been told by a few TAs that the unsold cabins are returned to Celebrity before final payment.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

TA's must turn all empty cabins in quite early 

10 hours ago, RTShaker said:

Back-up plan for them to keep the expensive inventory filled if there is a cancellation between now and sailing date.

They just LOVE re-selling a stateroom after someone cancels when in 100% penalty 😞 Should be made to sail w/empty stateroom in this case as it's been fully paid for!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, adolfo2 said:

They just LOVE re-selling a stateroom after someone cancels when in 100% penalty 😞 Should be made to sail w/empty stateroom in this case as it's been fully paid for!

That was what I was thinking. It is a nice way to keep their margins up and also make others feel like they have won… 

13 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

Not really. TA’s hold a specific number of cabins in a given category, not specific cabins. The inventory held goes back to Celebrity at minimum 4 months before the cruise date, or when Celebrity decide to pull it back. No one is holding Iconic suites in a group space. 

Celebrity often does offer all the way up to IC in MoveUps. In the off chance someone cancels they can double dip on the cabin. Your chance of winning is very unfavorable but technically not impossible. 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Not really. TA’s hold a specific number of cabins in a given category, not specific cabins. The inventory held goes back to Celebrity at minimum 4 months before the cruise date, or when Celebrity decide to pull it back. No one is holding Iconic suites in a group space. 

Celebrity often does offer all the way up to IC in MoveUps. In the off chance someone cancels they can double dip on the cabin. Your chance of winning is very unfavorable but technically not impossible. 

I love the way you phrased our chances lol!! And I concur. Will play lotto if it happens!! The EV we have is amazing so it’s a win win either way. 🙂

14 hours ago, WineDown17 said:

Sometimes people cancel for a variety of reasons, that said the cruise line does not want to miss an opportunity to get some more $$$ for that cabin .

58 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

i never said specific cabins.   They do hold blocks, or a number of potential cabins to be sold,  in each category.     And from what I was told, cabins can be released back to Celebrity later than 4 months out.    Unless the TA has no idea about what he is talking

50 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

i never said specific cabins.   They do hold blocks, or a number of potential cabins to be sold,  in each category.     And from what I was told, cabins can be released back to Celebrity later than 4 months out.    Unless the TA has no idea about what he is talking

I am the TA. You said the cabin would “show as sold” which is not true. The TA can sell any open cabin within the category they have group inventory. 

120-150 days is the firm stop date depending in itin length, sometimes earlier based on demand. Never later. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I am the TA. You said the cabin would “show as sold” which is not true. The TA can sell any open cabin within the category they have group inventory. 

120-150 days is the firm stop date depending in itin length, sometimes earlier based on demand. Never later. 

would you please go back and read my post. I said “Celebrity would   show sold out as technically the cabins are sold  to a travel agency”.  .     geesh.   Being a TA, you would know that.   I could have used far more words than necessary.     little picky today????   

32 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

would you please go back and read my post. I said “Celebrity would   show sold out as technically the cabins are sold  to a travel agency”.  .     geesh.   Being a TA, you would know that.   I could have used far more words than necessary.     little picky today????   

I read it. Your statement is still incorrect. The cabins do not “show as sold”. 

6 hours ago, adolfo2 said:

Well I honestly don't get this thinking, it is just good business. I would be amazed if they didn't try to resell the room.

When I was in sales this situation would come up time to time. A client signed a contract that they paid in full so they could get a great rate, knowing if they change their plans then the contract was null and void. If they did cancel I would start calling my other clients and offer them the same rate, first come first serve. I would make commission on both sales, since both paid.