A Different Way of Looking at Plus/Premier

Drew B 58

When people are looking into getting the Plus or Premier package, the advice I invariably hear is to “do the math”.  If what you would otherwise spend on what is covered by the package comes out to more than $60 per day, then they say Plus is worth it.  If it comes out to more than $80 per day, then perhaps Premier would be worth it (although Plus may still be the better choice).  There is nothing wrong with this approach to the question, but I’d like to suggest another way to look at it:

if I were sailing on the Standard package, there is NO WAY I would spend more than $60/$80 on these things.  I’m too in the habit of denying myself indulgences, and I am basically cheap at heart.  Each purchase would be a struggle.  I WOULD pay the gratuities.  IMO, those are not discretionary.  I would split one internet package with my cabin mates, even if that meant I could only use WiFi at restricted times.  I would probably splurge on 12-15 alcoholic beverages over the course of a week-long cruise (which is not to say that I wouldn’t WANT more).  I would probably not buy a single specialty coffee/soda/juice/mocktail.  I like these things, but couldn’t justify the money. I wouldn’t spend to eat at casual or specialty restaurants (in my fifteen previous cruises, I’ve never paid for upcharge food), even though I would love to try some of them.  I probably WOULD pay to activate Ocean Now because I would really feel like I was missing out if I never tried that.  I would definitely not pay for premium desserts or fitness classes.

So if you take a look at all of that, it makes for a pretty basic no-frills cruise experience.  I would be fine with it.  I have been fine with it or something very much like it on every previous cruise I’ve taken.  However, by making one simple choice - to buy one of the packages - the cruise immediately switches from basic and utilitarian to bountiful and indulgent.  I will be able to eat what I want (to an extent), drink what I want, surf the net when I want, etc.  Yes, it is hard for me to make the decision to spend that kind of money.  However, once I do, I am suddenly not only free to but actually incentivized to treat myself to an experience I never would otherwise have had!  That feeling of being spoiled has a value that is not necessarily simple  to plug in to a simple math formula…

Is this a good decision?  I don’t know yet.  I’m getting ready to take my first Princess cruise under the Premier plan.  I will let you know after if I made the right choice!

• Like 72
  • Thanks 3

@Drew B 58, your new approach is completely reasonable.  Go for it.

I am also an analytical guy.  Some time ago I posted a comparison spreadsheet that pretty convincingly demonstrated that neither of the package plans "pencil out" for me.  However, what works for me has nothing to do with what works for somebody else.

I agree that a cruise should be a "splurge."  Don't deny yourself.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

We use to travel with our good friends every year until they started adding up everything they purchased and/or paid for. I am in finance and deal with numbers all day. I do not want to think about or hear numbers on vacation. As close to all-inclusive cruises or vacations as we can make it is the only way we travel now.

We do not travel with them anymore. The last river cruise trip sealed it when most of the trip was included, he made comments on every excursion about tipping the guide. 

• Like 29

First post... please be kind 🙂

There is no way I could ever justify any of the packages purely on financial grounds but I want my cruise to be a holiday where I don't have to think about or worry about anything unless I have to and so I get the package... like the OP... it then is a no-brainer to have what I want.

I know many people will not do anything unless they can justify it financially but money is not the only incentive 🙂 

• Like 40

@Drew B 58 I totally agree. That’s exactly how I justified adding the Plus package. I’m not a cruiser (last cruise was a 4 day family cruise 30 yrs ago) I’m a land vacationer. My Alaska cruise/land tour is a belated retirement celebration (4 yrs ago) & to celebrate my 70th Birthday next month, It’s a well deserved treat & life celebration. 🥳🎉🥂

• Like 16

I feel the same way as the OP. I don't want to have to keep a running total in my head (or the app) of every drink purchase or other little thing adding up. One of the things I loved about going on a cruise the very first time was how there were no prices on the menus in the MDRs. I am one of those people who will go to a restaurant on land, want to order the steak, but end up ordering the burger instead because I just can't justify the splurge. So I know I would hesitate to try a drink I might not like or get a nightcap if I were paying per drink. I have never sailed without a drink package, which is probably a huge part of the reason I love cruising so much! It's also the reason I won't even consider Virgin Voyages because they don't even offer a drink package. They offer a pre-paid bar tab, but that's basically just an OBC and you have to keep track of how many drinks you are running up against it.

• Like 11

Agree! When I take a trip on land, I often save receipts and add things up throughout our vacation to "see where we are." I do this even if we've saved to have spending money or to cover costs. When I'm on a cruise, I'd much prefer to pay upfront for things I would (mostly) enjoy and not stress myself out about. 

I understand why some people don't want the packages, but for my personality, taking the Plus package helps me relax and have a better vacation, which is worth every penny. 

• Like 16

I’m sure you’ll enjoy having the package.  Not only does it pay for itself in our case, but we love the freedom of not having to think about anything.  Our next cruise on Enchanted we’ve gone with the Premier package and I’m sure it will be well used.

• Like 14

I've cruised with and without packages of such.   Last one I did, I cruised without and it was the best mental treat for me.  It opened up my choices, and I enjoyed my vacation of "I just want to try this".

Trying new things is my joy.  So go for it!

• Like 2

Another thing to look at is what ship you are on and what drinks do you like. If you are on a Grand Class ship with only 2 casual dining venues and your normal drinks are under $15 then in my mind the Plus package is all I need and that is what we book. I don’t know who you travel with but if passenger one takes a package then passenger 2 must also

• Like 3

This is such a refreshing and great way to look at it! I have so far never taken any drink or bundled package for any cruise, but I did for my upcoming one. So I imagine I will finally feel a little bit more freedom not worrying about what I should or shouldn't order! That's a true vacation for my brain. 😎

• Like 10

I agree.  I am vacation even thought it is endless and appreciate the one price which in my case is plus.  I can order whatever drinks I want in any quantity and we both get the internet access.  To me gratuities are an added cost of the cruise and would never delete them.  I have bought plus ever since it was introduced.  I hope they keep it and not increase it anymore with gym classes (at my age?), the special desserts (just looking at them adds calories!) and other benefits.  I do drink a bit but nowhere near the limit of 15/day.  I have been known to penny pinch and keep frequent tabs on my folio several times a day but to me plus is worth it. 

• Like 13

I look at it in a similar way!!!  I want to relax and enjoy!!!   If it comes out anywhere near 'even' then we are good to go.

You mentioned booking the Premier Plan...  It sounds like you are not an indulgent or tip top shelf drinker.    Many wine drinkers who want decent wines get Premier for that reason.  

Our next cruises are booked with the Plus package.   We enjoy indulging in a few drinks, specialty coffees...  and Alfredo's...  When they added an upcharge to Alfredo's - that is when it came down to booking with the Plus Package.  

I would like to do one or two specialty dining.  Maybe try the Catch.  But, unless we do that 2-3-4 times, then I don't think we need Premier.

I am looking forward to enjoying every minute, and not worrying about paying upfront.

That is part of the draw of cruising.  Makes it like an all-inclusive resort. 

No driving out after dark to get food, or pulling out that credit card.... again and again.

• Like 6

Presently on emerald princess and my observations

a.  I don’t have plus or premier, but feel ignored in certain areas.

b.  Our friends with package have ordered drinks and sometimes it has taken over 40 mins to arrive

c.  Certain areas during events, some bars aren’t even open.

d.  The 16. Gratuity per person does add up.

e.  We are not denying ourselves but we like other things - thermal suite, excursion and they do add up.

f. Since ships to lavazza coffee we gave up the specialty stuff.  
g. We are finding they don’t have the really good wines anymore, so we are not drinking.  I miss the vines with a glass of wine nightly and a small plate of food.  No more so we go to the elite and platinum lounge.

h.  Treated ourselves to Sabbatinis last night.  Not too thrilled.

on the other hand, we were not on the emerald since it was refurbished.  The lido buffet is fabulous looking.  The staff on board all seem brand new and are unable to answer questions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Knickearth said:

Presently on emerald princess and my observations

on the other hand, we were not on the emerald since it was refurbished.  The lido buffet is fabulous looking.  The staff on board all seem brand new and are unable to answer questions.

Glad to hear that the Buffet looks great!   Might have to do with the Executive Chef and staff onboard.

I think that there are a lot of new staff on some of the older ships, with the SUN Princess sailing now.  Sounds like a common complaint with a staff shortage of bartenders and servers.  If this is true, then I wish Princess would make some headway with bringing in and keeping employees!

I don't know why,  but why do I always seem to notice poor reviews of the Emerald???

Edited by Wishing on a star

We are not big drinkers but so far have always decided to get the Plus package.  In "real" life we only have alcohol in our house if we are having company and only drink occasionally, usually wine, when going out to dinner or visiting family/friends for dinner.  On a cruise before the packages we might have a glass of wine with dinner one or two nights or order a bottle to have for a few days and that was it because we didn't want a large bill at the end of the cruise.  We do pay gratuities and have no real need for internet.  We "do the math" before every cruise and it is always on the borderline of what we would normally spend to have bottled water/coffees and juices.  We end up deciding to go with the package because of exactly what you say above.  We still enjoyed our cruises before the package but now we have found that that little extra freedom of ordering what we want when we want has added a lot to our experience.  We have tried new drinks we would have never tried before.  Some great and some not so great.  And for anyone wondering, no, it does not open us up to be drinking alcohol all day long.  Neither one of us has yet to be drunk on a cruise.

It is a great way to look at the packages.  For us, it doesn't just come down to $$ but also the experience.  To get or not to get a package is just a decision everyone has to make for themselves and their own experiences.

Since we are fiscally on the border with the packages, we decided not to book it on our next cruise to see how it comes out financially and if it changes our experience.

• Like 9

We're also currently on Emerald Princess, first time with a Plus package. It is SO MUCH FUN. We only get about 4 alcoholic drinks per day, but we love the bartender/server Joe in Crooners and sit in there for a while trying a few different drinks before dinner. Ask for a martini and Joe can carry a completely full one without spilling a drop. We never hung out in any bar before but feel free to do so now.

We also get a few cappuccinos every morning, bottles of water (sparkling or still), and wine if we eat in the dining room. Just a whole different cruise vibe for us. We're having a ball!Of course, the high from seeing a fantastic eclipse at sea hasn't worn off yet 🙂

• Like 15

We have got the plus package on our cruise in December - we did the math and it made sense to have the package.

We're not huge drinkers, but knowing you can go to a bar and get a beer / wine / cocktail without worrying about the cost is great.... We tend to drink more when we're on holiday relaxing anyway

And we get wifi and that's a big plus

We're not too fussed on the premium deserts and probably won't use the free gym classes, but the package still makes sense to us

• Like 6

We sail Princess and Royal Caribbean.  The plus or premier package on Princess is such a better value than any package on Royal that for us it's a no-brainer. 

$80 a day for drinks, photos, desserts, specialty meals, etc with Princess Premier, compared to $75-80 a day just for drinks package, $170 for a ten photo package, $154 for a 3 night dining package on Royal.  I would much rather pay the one all-inclusive and just enjoy my holiday.

I agree with Drew B 58, without the package we don't tend to indulge as much.  Our upcoming cruise on Royal will be our first as Diamond, so we get 4 free drinks a day.  That with our suite lounge drinks is enough to make the drink package a no-go for us, and we aren't willing to buy the other packages, having been spoiled by Princess.  It will be interesting to see if we feel like this cruise is "less than" compared to our last one on Princess with a Plus package.  (And I'm glad our next cruise after this one is back on Princess!)

• Like 6

Completely agree with this philosophy. In the old days, before packages, I used to dread the bill slipped under the door on the last day with all of the charges. It was depressing to be reminded of another $1500 or so of charges at the end of a lovely vacation. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

I look at it in a similar way!!!  I want to relax and enjoy!!!   If it comes out anywhere near 'even' then we are good to go.

You mentioned booking the Premier Plan...  It sounds like you are not an indulgent or tip top shelf drinker.    Many wine drinkers who want decent wines get Premier for that reason.  

Our next cruises are booked with the Plus package.   We enjoy indulging in a few drinks, specialty coffees...  and Alfredo's...  When they added an upcharge to Alfredo's - that is when it came down to booking with the Plus Package.  

I would like to do one or two specialty dining.  Maybe try the Catch.  But, unless we do that 2-3-4 times, then I don't think we need Premier.

I am looking forward to enjoying every minute, and not worrying about paying upfront.

That is part of the draw of cruising.  Makes it like an all-inclusive resort. 

No driving out after dark to get food, or pulling out that credit card.... again and again.

So the cost differential between Plus and Premier is $140 pp for a seven day cruise.  The two specialty dining meals cover $92 of that ($39 + 18% x2).  If we do casual dining more than twice, that will cover more.  What tipped the scales was the photo package.  You get 3 prints plus ALL of the digital copies.  This seems like a bargain for < $50…

Again, I have never actually SPENT $50 on cruise photos.  However, getting them as part of the package adds a lot of value…

Also, I drink whiskey and it might be nice to try some higher-end brands!  🥃

Edited by Drew B 58
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, FancyPants21 said:

First post... please be kind 🙂

There is no way I could ever justify any of the packages purely on financial grounds but I want my cruise to be a holiday where I don't have to think about or worry about anything unless I have to and so I get the package... like the OP... it then is a no-brainer to have what I want.

I know many people will not do anything unless they can justify it financially but money is not the only incentive 🙂 

It depends how you define justifying it financially.  For my seven night cruise, Premier will cost me $560.  

Will I get more than $560 in expenditures?  Absolutely.  I will make sure of it!

Would I spend that much without the package?  Absolutely not…

So is that financially justifiable?  I guess that’s up to each person to decide…

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Drew B 58 said:

So the cost differential between Plus and Premier is $140 pp for a seven day cruise.  The two specialty dining meals cover $92 of that ($39 + 18% x2).  If we do casual dining more than twice, that will cover more.  What tipped the scales was the photo package.  You get 3 prints plus ALL of the digital copies.  This seems like a bargain for < $50…

Again, I have never actually SPENT $50 on cruise photos.  However, getting them as part of the package adds a lot of value…

Also, I drink whiskey and it might be nice to try some higher-end brands!  🥃

The photo idea is intriguing. We never let the ship's photographers take our photos, because we know we will never purchase them. We have Premier for our May sailing on the Enchanted and I plan to get our photos taken anywhere and everywhere since we will get all the digital files included. I don't care about the prints, but I do like the idea of having some professionally taken digital photos of us.

• Like 3