A sign of the times.

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I haven’t searched to see if anyone else may have noticed it but…

Our beloved B category “extended balconies” on Oceania and Marina have been reclassified as Concierge cabins.😳

Yes they have.

Posted (edited)

It did happen last fall when Europe 2025 was released. Apparently, we booked the last extended B3 for Riviera in Asia next February. I agree that it was an easy move for Oceania to boost the revenue.

Edited by osandomir

I would assume if you have booked a cabin and put a deposit down then they would have to honor the contracted price for that room. 

If you haven't put a deposit down or it is a new person booking now then the new pricing for that particular cabin would likely apply.

I would expect basic contract law to apply (offer/acceptance/consideration ie $$) I would expect the terms of the contract buried in the O fine print very few people read fully (I didn't !) to be slanted in O's favor though

1 minute ago, thebsinmiss said:

I would assume if you have booked a cabin and put a deposit down then they would have to honor the contracted price for that room. 

If you haven't put a deposit down or it is a new person booking now then the new pricing for that particular cabin would likely apply.

I would expect basic contract law to apply (offer/acceptance/consideration ie $$) I would expect the terms of the contract buried in the O fine print very few people read fully (I didn't !) to be slanted in O's favor though

I have put the deposit down, will I have Concierge privelges?

No idea, best to ask Oceania directly.  My "guess" is that if you booked it as a designated balcony suite that was NOT part of concierge then you would not benefit from the concierge designation.  Cynically if they can't get more dollars from you they aren't going give you the concierge perks !

Either way enjoy your cruise

14 minutes ago, thebsinmiss said:

No idea, best to ask Oceania directly.  My "guess" is that if you booked it as a designated balcony suite that was NOT part of concierge then you would not benefit from the concierge designation.  Cynically if they can't get more dollars from you they aren't going give you the concierge perks !

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Tidalmist said:

I have put the deposit down, will I have Concierge privelges?

Look at your O invoice, it will tell you the cabin number and classification you’ve purchased.

I assume your invoice details will govern what you get.

2 hours ago, thebsinmiss said:

Different cruiseline, different corporation, but several times when Princess reclassed additional vanilla mini-suites as Club Class, the lucky folks with existing reservations got upgraded.

There is hope.  🤞

5 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Different cruiseline, different corporation, but several times when Princess reclassed additional vanilla mini-suites as Club Class, the lucky folks with existing reservations got upgraded.

There is hope.  🤞

Historically that's not the way Oceania has handled this. There is a date that it is changing. If you booked the room to sail before that date then you would be in the old category. If you booked to sail after that date then you would get the perks associated with the new level. On the Oceania website for Marina if you look at deck 7 on the deck plans you will have two choices, pre 2025 cruises which show the Extended balconies as a B3 and View Deck Plan, which show them as an A2.

• Thanks 1

Yep, the beloved B3s will be A2s. A year ago I booked 7008 for 4/25/25 sailing. New cats. and prices not shown for it yet; but deck plan for next year is showing the change. Once the 'secret's' out, as was the case with aft facing cabins years ago, prices always change to reflect the demand.

4 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

There is hope.  🤞

No upgrade is expected. This time Oceania didn’t change the category depending on the date the cruise was booked. If the extended balcony cabins were listed as B3 when one booked the cruise they are still B3 to book now on the same cruise. So there won’t be any concierge privileges extended to anybody booked in these cabins for that particular sailing.

9 hours ago, Tidalmist said:

So I booked 10 days on Marina prior to the change…..what happens with my booking?

Several years ago we booked on one of the 'R' ships #6093 as a verandah cabin - when we boarded, it had been changed to a concierge. Oceania in it's wisdom had realised that the aft cabins were pretty special. 

We received the concierge benefits at the same booked (verandah) price.  It fact we didnt realise it had changed until we received the extras - ironing vouchers and wine etc.

• Thanks 1

Hmm, booked Vista last year for next year.  Vista layout shows all the extended balconies as A2, except for a few Solo Verandas, so this must have been something already in the works.

3 hours ago, ratflinger said:

Hmm, booked Vista last year for next year.  Vista layout shows all the extended balconies as A2, except for a few Solo Verandas, so this must have been something already in the works.

I think Vista was categorized that way from the start. Marina & Riviera on the other hand have gone through a couple of changes. Seems I remember when they came out those may have been B4s.