NCL Dawn? Dry dock / refurbishment under way?

Been researching prior to posting but have not managed to find anything, so finally posting here and wondering if anybody can help.

The Dawn was in dry dock back in 2016 and then underwent additional refurbishment in 2021. No dry dock or refurbishment planned for 2024 as far as I know and nothing announced (officially by NCL or otherwise).

However, after the infamous 21 day cruise from Cape Town to Barcelona (March 20th to April 11th) the ship has been repositioned to Marseille and has been sitting there for the last three days. Next scheduled cruise will start from Civitavecchia on April 26th. Quite a gap, isn't it?

So, anybody aware of the real reason for this two-week gap? NCL usually announces scheduled dry docks / refurbishments well in advance, thus creating some awareness and expectations as to the changes onboard by the time the vessels are back to service, so I wonder what the actual reason could be for this (apparent) secrecy.

Have booked on this vessel for next Summer, so really interested in knowing what is going on "behind the scenes". If anything at all, that is. 😉

Is it an ordinary kind of thing for a cruise line NOT to inform about a vessel's dry dock? I guess it would be in the best of the company's interests to create some anticipation among potential future cruisers. Really curious about this and wondering what changes I will discover on my future cruise on the Dawn. 😅

Unless they are planning a major renovation including new venues and such, no, they won't make a big deal of a dry docking.  They are statutory, and deal mainly with ship's technical systems, and any refurbishment of the hotel side is secondary to the technical work.  Given the cruise lines' current fiscal situation, I doubt that much beyond renewing worn carpeting, some reupholstery, and cabinetry repairs will happen.  The 12th to the 26th is two weeks, which is pretty much a minimum time frame for a dry docking, so this would also point to no major changes being made.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

There has been quite a bit of information on FB concerning this.  More than one person has commented that all new carpeting, flooring, and a big update on rooms is being done.  900 plus people working on her around the clock.  Also, Starlink is being installed.   Hopefully, all that is true. 

Forgot to add a new crew.

Edited by saleaaway
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, saleaaway said:

There has been quite a bit of information on FB concerning this.  More than one person has commented that all new carpeting, flooring, and a big update on rooms is being done.  900 plus people working on her around the clock.  Also, Starlink is being installed.   Hopefully, all that is true. 

Forgot to add a new crew.

There will not be a new crew. There may be some changes, these happen weekly, but the bulk of the crew will be the same people that were there before the ship started dry dock. 

From facebook so take with a grain of salt. It is said this is to change carpeting and address some plumbing issues. There is a second rumor that it is to install StarLink but I think that is wishful thinking. The carpet and plumbing makes most since its a brief dock only 2-3 weeks. They picked up workers in Lisbon for the project.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, marrashadow said:

There is a Tube video of cabins they did get Starlink it went live today.

Thanks for the information! Been watching the video and still wondering what the changes are. Nothing much seems to have improved in the cabins, at least nothing I could easily notice. Same lamps, same furniture, same sockets (still no USBs)...maybe changes have happened in other areas...

5 hours ago, AlmiranteChurruca said:

Thanks for the information! Been watching the video and still wondering what the changes are. Nothing much seems to have improved in the cabins, at least nothing I could easily notice. Same lamps, same furniture, same sockets (still no USBs)...maybe changes have happened in other areas...

Kinda what you would expect for a dry dock. New mattresses, pillows, drapes. 

It is good that there are no USB outlets. From a cybersecurity perspective, you should never, ever plug your device into a USB outlet that you don't own. Not in a mall. Not in an airport. Not in a hotel. Not on a cruise ship. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/27/2024 at 7:44 AM, BirdTravels said:

Kinda what you would expect for a dry dock. New mattresses, pillows, drapes. 

It is good that there are no USB outlets. From a cybersecurity perspective, you should never, ever plug your device into a USB outlet that you don't own. Not in a mall. Not in an airport. Not in a hotel. Not on a cruise ship. 

While this is good advice in general, if you have a "power only" USB cable, using public USB ports is not a problem.  And, if you think the cruise line is going to invest tens of thousands of dollars to run miles of cable to link all the USB ports in each cabin together so that data can be stolen from passengers, you must think they are really much harder up for revenue than they are.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 1:58 AM, AlmiranteChurruca said:

Previous post did say it was just carpets and addressing plumbing issues so not sure how noticeable it would be. I'm happy about StarLink as that should make internet faster which makes those 300 minutes more efficient.