My definition of strenuous is different

Posted (edited)

Reading over possible excursions on our December Freedom cruise. I am over 65, my sister is even more over 65, but I don't understand this particular excursion marked as Strenuous. If this is strenuous, sleeping by the pool will be considered  moderately strenuous.

Overview

Enjoy a three-hour and a half, fun-filled boat ride that packs in a coastal cruise of St. Kitts and Nevis, sun-drenched beach time, plus refreshing cocktails and a live steel drum player on board during the Caribbean Sea cruise. A professional captain and attentive crew are ready to welcome you aboard a 96-foot vessel bound for the clear-blue waters off St. Kitts and Nevis. Breathe in the salty island air while gliding along the island's mountainous coast. The boat will then be anchored right off the beach. With 75 minutes free time you can swim in warm, shallow waters or soak up the sun beachside. The return route not only includes more spectacular island scenery, but you'll also sing and dance along to a DJ with popular music, plus enjoy three drink tickets to use towards local beer, rum punch or soda.

Highlights

• Nevis: Swim in turquoise waters, or sunbathe on soft sands, with the boat anchored offshore.
  • St. Kitts: Sip beer and rum punch while swaying along to the soothing rhythms of a live steel pan player and popular Caribbean music.

Activity Level

Strenuous
This tour is not recommended for guests with pre-existing medical conditions such as cardiac, respiratory, or orthopedic conditions, including joint injuries or disease, or any other serious medical condition. Guests must consider their physical fitness level and medical history when determining whether this tour is appropriate. Guests who have concerns must consult with their personal physician before engaging in any activity that may be strenuous for them, particularly those involving water-based activities. Guests should consider their swimming ability when selecting tours involving water-based activities.

Edited by temple1

24 minutes ago, temple1 said:

Reading over possible excursions on our December Freedom cruise. I am over 65, my sister is even more over 65, but I don't understand this particular excursion marked as Strenuous. If this is strenuous, sleeping by the pool will be considered  moderately strenuous.

Based on my experience, I find swimming in the ocean far more strenuous than sleeping by a pool. 

• Like 2

If the beach is on Nevis and is the same one I went to, there is a deep decline down to the water. And the vendors bothersome too.

A lot of times the strenuous part is getting in and out of bus or boats and some of the walkways too.

I have a feeling that this warning is on all exursions involving a stop at a beach in the Caribbean. You certainly do not need to swim in the ocean but more than likely, you'll have to climb down a ladder and swim or wade to the beach.

Thanks, didn't notice we might have to swim to shore. I have no trouble swimming in the Caribbean, the Atlantic where I grew up and live is much more of a challenge. 

I'll have to track down more info on this particular excursion.

Posted (edited)

They're not dropping passengers in the open Caribbean, but one of the inlets. Not a lot of wave action or under tow from my experience at island stops. All bets are off if a storm is passing through.

I will get more info because it looks like one of the better excursions I've seen lately.

BTW,  I know 50 y/o people a lot older than I am.

Edited by temple1
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, temple1 said:

They're not dropping passengers in the open Caribbean, but one of the inlets. Not a lot of wave action or under tow from my experience at island stops. All bets are off if a storm is passing through.

I will get more info because it looks like one of the better excursions I've seen lately.

In this case, it is a general classification of the tour which I think could cause challenges to people with certain medical problems of any age. I don’t see any age restrictions  and you don’t mention any insurance restrictions related to age. Obviously what is challenging to one person isn’t to someone else that is why they are advising you and leaving it to your discretion.

This and similar independent tours usually on the local board although I haven’t checked what is offered since cruising resumed. Time restraints are usually the main issue.

48 minutes ago, temple1 said:

The strenuous part could be getting yourself on and off the catamaran.  We have done an excursion at that port that had a ladder off the back you had to get yourself up on to get back on the boat, with a strong current that actually swept one person under the boat.  I was able to get back on but it was challenging.  They did also have a dingy that they were taking people from the boat to the shore and some were opting for that as they knew they couldn't reboard from the water.  Not sure if this excursion would have that option. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I consider myself a pretty strong swimmer but it can definitely be challenging getting on and off into strong currents where you are expected to walk up with a rope line to the beach. Add in sun and alcohol, yes, I'd describe it as strenuous.