Just got screwed out of nearly $500 can.

Without knowing why NCL changed the flights, it's hard to speculate on what might be covered by insurance or refunded by NCL.

I once had flights changed due to an impending airline strike, but I hadn't paid for seats. OP needs to verify whether or not the original scheduled flights had any changes.

Posted (edited)

This matter has now been resolved.  After more phone calls to NCL and Airtransat, i found out that Airtransat actually cancelled the flight, so NCL re-booked thru BA.  When i first called air transat they denied a refund, I called back today and asked to speak to a supervisor they decided to refund me.  took 3 calls to Airtransat but its resolved.  No fault on NCL.

Edited by buddy1755
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, buddy1755 said:

This matter has now been resolved.  After more phone calls to NCL and Airtransat, i found out that Airtransat actually cancelled the flight, so NCL re-booked thru BA.  When i first called air transat they denied a refund, I called back today and asked to speak to a supervisor they decided to refund me.  took 3 calls to Airtransat but its resolved.  No fault on NCL.

wonderful to hear.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, buddy1755 said:

It is good that this worked out. Also good that NCL was not the one at fault.

And maybe the reason that insurance won't cover it is that the airline should and did cover it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, buddy1755 said:

Great to hear.

FWIW, this is why we shouldn't jump to conclusions and blame NCL for every problem. Not saying that they are never at fault, but issues do tend to change when all of the information is available.

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, buddy1755 said:

Great! It's nice you took the time to acknowledge that NCL wasn't at fault.

• Like 1

At the same time though, this does make an argument against booking your flight with any cruise line. If you book direct, you'll know immediately who screwed up and who you need to yell at. 

• Haha 2

On 4/22/2024 at 7:43 AM, DCGuy64 said:

How much more you pay often depends where you live. I have seen many times on this site people claiming they've saved $1,000s by using NCL's BOGO. I don't know about you, but $1,000 or more isn't "a little more." There's no one right answer to this. Some people like to have control over their reservations, while others are happy to relinquish control in exchange for saving money. Same with travel agents. Some like to do their own bookings, while people like me enjoy letting someone else make the phone calls, etc.

Being a solo on this trip I was elated that NCL gave me 50% off my airfare. And their rate even before the discount was far lower than the cheapest flight I could find. I might be seated on the wing or in a bathroom, but I saved close to $1000...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jrt.mom said:

Being a solo on this trip I was elated that NCL gave me 50% off my airfare. And their rate even before the discount was far lower than the cheapest flight I could find. I might be seated on the wing or in a bathroom, but I saved close to $1000...

Thanks for weighing in! To me, $1,000 isn't "a little more" as one poster implied. $1,000 is a LOT more!

• Like 2

On 4/22/2024 at 8:16 AM, DCGuy64 said:

Interesting. I have. Pretty much every travel insurance policy I've bought has a provision for cancelled flights, which the baggage fees were a part of. I believe it would fall under the trip cancellation provision.

On 4/22/2024 at 8:20 AM, dbrown84 said:

hmmm, interesting.  I never thought of it before, but would this be considered a cancelled flight for the purposes of insurance?  The flight itself was not cancelled.  The OP was changed to another flight.  

On 4/22/2024 at 8:29 AM, DCGuy64 said:

I would argue that substituting one flight for another represents a cancellation. If you were booked on flight ABC123 and were moved to DEF456, your 1st flight was cancelled. That's how I'd look at it, anyway. At a minimum, my reservation was cancelled.

Actually, isn't this scenario cancelled/delayed flights considered to be trip "interruption" with insurance policies?

4 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Actually, isn't this scenario cancelled/delayed flights considered to be trip "interruption" with insurance policies?

Good question. I'd ask Steve, the guy from that insurance store. I need to speak with him, anyway.

9 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

4 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Good question. I'd ask Steve, the guy from that insurance store. I need to speak with him, anyway.

Actually, cancelled/delayed flights is "trip delay".  "Trip interruption" is when you have to cut a trip short presumably to go home.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have trip exchange coverage through AIG travel guard it states it will reimburse fees paid or lost from change of reservation. So I'm not sure all of them have it and I know they have a list of airlines they won't cover. So if you have independently purchased travel insurance call them and see. I specifically splurged for the top end plan due to taking a trip that stops in several countries. So it may be an added benefit. It also has a missed port reimbursement of up to $250 per person. Not sure if multiple are missed if its on a per stop basis but thinking not.

Edited by marrashadow