Alaska Cruise Tour Land Portion Food

M.S.

I am going to Alaska in July on a Princess Cruise Tour that includes the land portion.  We are staying at Kenai, Copper River, Denali, and Mt. McKinley.  I know the hotels have restaurants but I am wondering if anyone knows if there are places to buy snacks/food (sandwiches, granola bars, etc) to take on hikes or on the long excursions at any of these places.  We will be on the ship before the land portion starts so we won't have time to go to a grocery store when we get off the boat.  What did people do about snacks during the land portion.  Thanks!

We always carry our own trail mix except to countries that ban nut import.  Costco and Sam’s both have nice sized bags that will last the week and granola/energy bars travel well from home to tour.  (Bring ziploc bags to package to single serving)  Remember in Alaska groceries are expensive but interestingly I didn’t find restaurants that expensive. At Denali there are other restaurants besides the lodge fare.  We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food and the huge size of portions at HAL’s restaurant, we shared entrees a time or two. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  I think you will find your best answers if you ask on the Alaska board under Ports of Call, further down on the main boards page.  Lots of experts and locals there.  EM

Denali Lodge has a strip of stores across the highway.  Several restaurants.  Subway was $8 for a half sub 10 years ago first time we went.  We used this for our lunch, although the box on the bus wasn't bad for me.  The longer Tundra Wilderness tour into the park is not running this season - landslide isn't fixed at Mile 43  Hotel bar had great burgers/fries, large enough to share.

Other lodges are out in the woods by many miles.  About 45 minutes to Talkeetna from McKinley Lodge and bus costs after one trip.  Not that Talkeetna has much there - shopping is more like a fishing lodge at a lake.  All the hotels have gift shops with some snacks.

Most longer Princess excursions do supply some kind of food (might be only granola bar, reindeer sausage and a soda).

• Thanks 1