Specialty Dining Question

I haven't cruised Norwegian in years so haven't experienced specialty dining of which I have two on our upcoming cruise. When you have a reservation at a restaurant, how do they know my reservation is free? 

Also, a couple of restaurants only have tables for four available and it would be just the two of us. What would happen if you booked for four and only two showed up?

TIA

Your dining package is printed on your cruise card.  Make reservations for the smallest available tables, then tell the hostess you are 2.

2 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

Your dining package is printed on your cruise card.  Make reservations for the smallest available tables, then tell the hostess you are 2.

that usually don't mean anything. when the hostess swipes your card they will see you have the dining package in the system and will ask you do you want to use the package or al la carte . you then say package if you want to use it

I sail as a solo passenger.  Rarely do I make dining reservations.  If you go shortly before the restaurant opens usually you can be seated rather quickly.  Most if not all the restaurants have tables for just two people.

Enjoy your cruise and your time together.

3 hours ago, jessed said:

I haven't cruised Norwegian in years so haven't experienced specialty dining of which I have two on our upcoming cruise. When you have a reservation at a restaurant, how do they know my reservation is free? 

Also, a couple of restaurants only have tables for four available and it would be just the two of us. What would happen if you booked for four and only two showed up?

TIA

When you arrive at the restaurant, you tell the hostess how you would like to pay. You can pay with your Free at Sea Specialty Dining Package (you have 2 dinners each), a purchased Specialty Dining Package, Latitudes voucher (platinum and above), other vouchers (from various organizations), or an onboard charge (cash). 

General reservations opened 120 days prior to departure (130 for suites, 125 for top-tier Latitudes and Club Balcony rooms). 

You can book a table for 4, but it would be "good" to have that updated on embarkation day at the restaurant reservation location. Many/most of the restaurant tables are 2-tops. 

NCL holds table for embarkation day reservations, so if the restaurant of your choice is not available, go to the restaurant reservation desk as soon as you embark. 

I've never been with NCL before but I have this 'Free at Sea' package with two meals (dinners?) included that I will eventually have to make use of.

Do I need to look into what restaurants are available on my ship (Escape) and make some reservations in advance or is it relatively easy to get a table at certain times (like right when a restaurant opens)?

Do some restaurants get so busy with reservations that if you don't book ahead or right after boarding then you'll never get in? 🙂

12 minutes ago, astera said:

Do I need to look into what restaurants are available on my ship (Escape) and make some reservations in advance or is it relatively easy to get a table at certain times (like right when a restaurant opens)?

Need to? No.

Highly recommended to make reservations? Yes. 

13 minutes ago, astera said:

Do some restaurants get so busy with reservations that if you don't book ahead or right after boarding then you'll never get in?

Yes. 

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Yes. 

Which restaurant/s are the ones (near) impossible to get a table at once the ship sails and you don't have a prior reservation?

Edited by astera

1 minute ago, astera said:

Which restaurant/s are the ones (near) impossible to get a table at once the ship sales and you don't have a prior reservation?

Teppanyaki is limited. If your group is small (2), they might be able to squeeze you in somewhere. Otherwise, make a reservation if you really want it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, astera said:

Which restaurant/s are the ones (near) impossible to get a table at once the ship sails and you don't have a prior reservation?

A look a little past 6:00 pm. Some restaurants still had seating. Some nights it is all red dots (nothing available)

image.png.e018b625b489b599a2d98f9c98a13569.png

image.png.62ae8f70f0043e3ee7df58249e482145.png

Many thanks everyone. Reading the reviews it seems that there is a lot of inconsistency between ships when it comes to the same restaurants. So it seems that even the Carney's experience can vary greatly.

Definitely going to book ahead for the Teppanyaki. For our second meal we'll probably select Le Bistro though I am still waiting to hear from friends who are currently cruising on NCL and have booked a table there. 🙂

How does Food Republic work when it comes to the 'Free at Sea' included dinners? Is it any 4 items from the entire menu?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, astera said:

How does Food Republic work when it comes to the 'Free at Sea' included dinners? Is it any 4 items from the entire menu?

Yes, it’s good for any four items.  It’s a ton of food.  We usually use two of our FAS meals for two lunches on sea days and share the four items at each lunch.

Posted (edited)

Yes on LeBistro.  The French Onion soup is amazing and the Filet is typically better than what is in Cagney’s…but it is a $10 upcharge.   Worth it IMO.

Edited by laudergayle

4 hours ago, astera said:

Many thanks everyone. Reading the reviews it seems that there is a lot of inconsistency between ships when it comes to the same restaurants. So it seems that even the Carney's experience can vary greatly.

Definitely going to book ahead for the Teppanyaki. For our second meal we'll probably select Le Bistro though I am still waiting to hear from friends who are currently cruising on NCL and have booked a table there. 🙂

On our next cruise, we will be definitely booking Le Bistro for the lobster thermdor which is an upcharge but it is delicious.  I had the french onion soup last time which was also delicious although it was very hot so be careful.  I would not order the filet in Le Bistro since it is covered in fois gras.  I hate liver in all of it's manifestation.

23 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I would not order the filet in Le Bistro since it is covered in fois gras.  I hate liver in all of it's manifestation.

The fois gras element doesn't sit well with me either, but I assume you can just ask for your steak without it, no?

I'm actually looking forward to the steak tartare (raw) the most, but as it's a starter I just hope it's not a really tiny portion...

4 hours ago, Russiamomm said:

Yes, it’s good for any four items.  It’s a ton of food.  We usually use two of our FAS meals for two lunches on sea days and share the four items at each lunch.

This is the biggest question that was looming over me... at Food Republic can you use 1 FAS meal but have 2 or 4 people share it? There might come a day when all four of us might just want a simple pho soup and it would be great if it was possible to use just one of the included FAS meals for four soups...

3 minutes ago, astera said:

This is the biggest question that was looming over me... at Food Republic can you use 1 FAS meal but have 2 or 4 people share it? There might come a day when all four of us might just want a simple pho soup and it would be great if it was possible to use just one of the included FAS meals for four soups...

It should not be an issue.  I’ve done it with two of us sharing one FAS meal (four items) and also done it with four of using one of the Platinum meals for two (8 items).  I’ve never tried four people using one FAS (one item each) , but I’ve never had any questions and we always left stuffed.  😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, astera said:

The fois gras element doesn't sit well with me either, but I assume you can just ask for your steak without it, no?

I'm actually looking forward to the steak tartare (raw) the most, but as it's a starter I just hope it's not a really tiny portion...

The steak tartar is a good sized portion and the wife has been happy with it.

I've heard the fois gras is a placed on top of the steak.  I wouldn't order it because I'm uncertain if the fois gras has been in contact with the steak.  I really don't like liver.

1 hour ago, astera said:

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The steak tartar is a good sized portion

I agree.  Photo for reference - 

image.thumb.jpeg.5430a54987cf3671616394d83f358075.jpeg

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I wouldn't order it because I'm uncertain if the fois gras has been in contact with the steak.  I really don't like liver.

Thinking of doing the same, which leaves me considering the following choices:

- Dover sole

- Lamb shank+chop

- Seabass

Has anyone tried the above?

4 hours ago, hallux said:

I agree.  Photo for reference - 

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Steak Tartar yummy

Thanks for the pics - DEFINITELY getting the steak tartare as a starter! 🙂