Separate cabin for teens & Plus for parents

From what I read, if we want two cabins (one for parents, one for 2 15 year-olds), we'll need to book one teen and one parent per room. I understand that when we board, we should be able to get medallions coded to swap one parent and one teen (or give all 4 access to both rooms), right?

Does anyone have experience requesting an official swap, so that the parents can purchase Plus, without having to buy it for the teens as well? (Yes, I agree that it would be nice for them to have Plus, but budget is going towards them getting their own cabin instead of sharing with us.)

32 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

We have booked connecting a cabin for our teens, as well as, a cabin directly across the hallway.  Adults in one cabin and teens in the other.

We had a drink package.  Grandchildren did not.

How old were your teens?

According to Cruising with Family & Kids FAQ, the minimum age for the teens to be booked in a separate cabin is 16. @ccqueenanne said her teens were both 15 years old - one year to young.

• Like 1

The easiest way to do it is wait until you board to buy Princess Plus. It costs the same as buying it ahead of time. Then just have your medallion program for both doors.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Qextor said:

The easiest way to do it is wait until you board to buy Princess Plus. It costs the same as buying it ahead of time. Then just have your medallion program for both doors.

I'm guessing it won't make a difference as to the requirement of both in the cabin having the same package. On paper, they aren't officially switching cabins, just getting the ability to open a different door.

5 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I'm guessing it won't make a difference as to the requirement of both in the cabin having the same package

No - there is only one adult assigned to each cabin, so only that one adult needs to pay.

How much does a teen's plus package cost?  I assume you have done your costings, ie daily gratuity charges, wi-fi connection, drinks and room service charges (which are now not 'free') for each teen.

Maybe the easy answer is for none of you to have the plus package and just pay as you go!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Louby-Lou said:

How much does a teen's plus package cost? 

there is no such thing as a TEEN plus package. It costs the same for everyone. $60 pppd.

2 hours ago, Louby-Lou said:

I assume you have done your costings, ie daily gratuity charges, wi-fi connection, drinks and room service charges (which are now not 'free') for each teen.

We don't even get the Plus package for adults, let alone for our teen.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

there is no such thing as a TEEN plus package. It costs the same for everyone. $60 pppd.

Thanks for that, it's interesting to know as we will be taking a couple of teens next year! Easy to make a decision now!

16 hours ago, ccqueenanne said:

I'm wondering if proximity (adjoining cabins) would negate the age requirement.

Have booked connecting cabins for teens several times.  Lots easier than sorting out the Medallions that have a cabin and photo attached.  Just ask and book early so there is availability. 

To get it to reasonably work on board you would need to switch medallions for one teen and one adult.  Then the one adult could not order anything in the plus package.  Neither could the teen as the photo would not match.  A real.pain

Your CVP at Princess or your TA can handle this.

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Have booked connecting cabins for teens several times.  Lots easier than sorting out the Medallions that have a cabin and photo attached.  Just ask and book early so there is availability. 

To get it to reasonably work on board you would need to switch medallions for one teen and one adult.  Then the one adult could not order anything in the plus package.  Neither could the teen as the photo would not match.  A real.pain

Why would you need to switch medallions? That could cause a lot of problems.

All you have to do is go to Guest Services and request that all four of you be programmed to have access to both cabins.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

And you were able to do so when both teens were under 16? If so, that's a relief to hear.

20 hours ago, ccqueenanne said:

From what I read, if we want two cabins (one for parents, one for 2 15 year-olds), we'll need to book one teen and one parent per room. I understand that when we board, we should be able to get medallions coded to swap one parent and one teen (or give all 4 access to both rooms), right?

Does anyone have experience requesting an official swap, so that the parents can purchase Plus, without having to buy it for the teens as well? (Yes, I agree that it would be nice for them to have Plus, but budget is going towards them getting their own cabin instead of sharing with us.)

It won't work, whether you switch cabins when onboard, with your booking number both guests in a cabin, whatever age, must purchase the plus or Premier if you choose to do so. 

We've had first hand experience with this.  

We just purchased plus for all of us.  Now our eldest is 16 and they still both get plus in their own cabin with their own booking number. 

Medallion access has nothing to do with plus. 

• Like 2

One of our worst cruises was when people circumvented the "rules" and put their teens unsupervised in the cabin next to ours and the parents were a safe distance away.  What a nightmare for us.

10 hours ago, Senga said:

One of our worst cruises was when people circumvented the "rules" and put their teens unsupervised in the cabin next to ours and the parents were a safe distance away.  What a nightmare for us.

As long as one is 16, younger can been in the cabin with them. 

We've heard adults behaving badly.