Aft Balcony - Worth it?

A Panama Canal cruise is on our bucket list and I'm currently looking at one in 2025.  We only ever cruise balconies and did splurge for an aft balcony on our Alaska cruise.  

The premium for the aft balcony is about 25-30% higher, I'm just curious if you all found it to be a worthwhile upgrade?

Thanks!

As mentioned here frequently, you need to be all over the ship during your transit. Be on the bow (if available) for a locking. Be on the Promenade deck for a locking. Your aft cabin is also a good place to be, but I am not sure I would pay 25% more.

Remember that the canal transit is only one day of your cruise.  If it’s where you want to be the rest of the time, if the price is satisfactory, go for it.  If you are happy with a regular balcony the rest of the time, pass on it and move around the ship during the transit.  
Do you like to see where you are going, or where you have been?

If the ship you chose is using the original locks, try to get a balcony on the port side for a westbound transit.  For an eastbound transit, starboard side is best.  If your ship will be using the new locks, it makes no difference.  EM

If I were going to pay for a special stateroom for the Canal, it would be one with a forward-facing balcony (and I've done so).  But there are folks who have loved their aft-facing balconies for a transit as well.

@CruiserBruce is absolutely correct that, wherever your balcony is located, you don't want to spend the whole transit there. You want to experience the transit from all over the ship; high, low, forward, aft.  

Keep in mind that the Canal is just one day of your cruise.  You would likely enjoy your special balcony for the rest of the trip.

WeenterfirstGatun.thumb.jpg.6546a8f3412edc3192b8b2ba2cb7e920.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

The one I'm looking at is a westbound on Norwegian Jade.. How do I know if it's taking the old locks or new?

Barring an unusual operational issue in the Canal, the Jade, like NCL’s other Jewel-class ships, will use the original locks. 

(My photo above was taken on the NCL Jewel as we were entering the Gatun Locks.)

• Like 1

My opinion won't be much different from the others... for the non Canal portion of the trip an aft balcony is great.  Even if you only use the aft balcony sparingly at the Canal, it is not my favorite place to be mainly because most of the narration provided during the transit has a forward perspective.  By the time you get to see what is being described the narration has long passed.

If you opt for the aft balcony for the Canal cruise and you want to enjoy the balcony for a bit, the best time would be after the ship clears Gatun Locks (the first locks you will encounter) and heads across Gatun Lake to Gamboa.  This part of the transit is about 23 miles over the open waters of the Lake.  Depending on Canal traffic it takes a little over 2 hours and there usually is minimal narration.

The rest of the transit, be out and about to be able to take in whatever may be of interest.

21 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Remember that the canal transit is only one day of your cruise.  If it’s where you want to be the rest of the time, if the price is satisfactory, go for it.  If you are happy with a regular balcony the rest of the time, pass on it and move around the ship during the transit.  
Do you like to see where you are going, or where you have been?

If the ship you chose is using the original locks, try to get a balcony on the port side for a westbound transit.  For an eastbound transit, starboard side is best.  If your ship will be using the new locks, it makes no difference.  EM

Hey I just wanted to clarify something, you mentioned that I should be port for westbound and starboard for eastbound.  Why is that?  If I'm port for eastbound, I'd be facing land once we get out of the canal, wouldn't that be preferable?

When the ship is sailing you won’t be close enough to land to see anything but a dark silhouette.  Coming eastbound down the Pacific coast, you have the sun port side in the morning, starboard in evening.  After the canal it reverses, but may depend on your itinerary in the Caribbean.  EM

i enjoyed my aft balcony during the entire transit.  It was interesting to see the "mules" ( the little trains) go thru the tie up process.  It was fun twitch the gates close, and see the ship slowly rise up to the next lock, then watching the gates open back up.  You can always watch the bridge cam station for the entry views of the canal.  I left the that station on during the entire transit, so I could hear the narration.  Being in aft, sure beat out standing in the hot sun for hours ( In my opinion).  AND, I had access to a bathroom without having to "save my place".

1 hour ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

Hey I just wanted to clarify something, you mentioned that I should be port for westbound and starboard for eastbound.  Why is that? 

Sunsets.

3 hours ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

Hey I just wanted to clarify something, you mentioned that I should be port for westbound and starboard for eastbound.  Why is that?  If I'm port for eastbound, I'd be facing land once we get out of the canal, wouldn't that be preferable?

IMO the side preference stems from the "preferred" side for the Canal views.  The only time you would see land for an extended time is while the ship is in the Pacific.  Even then often times the land is so far away it is barely visible and if you factor in haze there really is not much to see.  Now at the Canal there more to see on the port side for a southbound transit (your westbound), like wise it would be the starboard side for a Pacific to Atlantic transit.  There are just more developed areas such as the cities of Colon and Panama City.  While transiting the Canal after clearing the locks there are just a few more things that can be pointed out and may have some historical or significance to the Canal.  Also if you are located on the "preferred" while crossing Gatun Lake is the best time to see oncoming ships.  However I am still in the camp that believes that the best side of the ship is outside or topside, that way you can take in whatever interests you.  This doesn't mean the "non preferred" side of the ship is a wasteland, plenty to see over there as well it just there are fewer things to actually point out.

22 minutes ago, BillB48 said:

IMO the side preference stems from the "preferred" side for the Canal views.  The only time you would see land for an extended time is while the ship is in the Pacific.  Even then often times the land is so far away it is barely visible and if you factor in haze there really is not much to see.  Now at the Canal there more to see on the port side for a southbound transit (your westbound), like wise it would be the starboard side for a Pacific to Atlantic transit.  There are just more developed areas such as the cities of Colon and Panama City.  While transiting the Canal after clearing the locks there are just a few more things that can be pointed out and may have some historical or significance to the Canal.  Also if you are located on the "preferred" while crossing Gatun Lake is the best time to see oncoming ships.  However I am still in the camp that believes that the best side of the ship is outside or topside, that way you can take in whatever interests you.  This doesn't mean the "non preferred" side of the ship is a wasteland, plenty to see over there as well it just there are fewer things to actually point out.

Okay that's perfect, thanks

58 minutes ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

The eastbound cruise is primarily northbound once you get past the locks, seems like port would be the better option there for sunsets

Agree. I think it is too easy to over think this. To quote @BillB48, the best sides are outside and topside...

• Like 1