BON VOYAGE Coral Princess World Cruisers 2024

Just now, Mareblu said:

Two princesses, amazing. Coral P following Viking routes.  Fascinating evidence on Canadian coastlines of their presence so long ago.

How are you feeling, Julie?

Slightly better but still not great. I had to bail out on yet another excursion today. I didn't think I could handle seven hours ashore. I'm really disappointed though as it sounded like a very interesting one. I'm hoping I can manage one tomorrow - Peggy's Cove and a lobster lunch.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

What do the "other" Sydney folk do when two cruise ships come to town? Park on the side of the road across from them, get out your folding chair, leave the back of the vehicle up to provide shade, then sit down and enjoy the view! 😄

20240708_141743.thumb.jpg.009209bee9178a0ddcb13140830b8ba0.jpg

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 6
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

What do the "other" Sydney folk do when two cruise ships come to town? Park on the side of the road across from them, get out your folding chair, leave the back of the vehicle up to provide shade, then sit down and enjoy the view! 😄

20240708_141743.thumb.jpg.009209bee9178a0ddcb13140830b8ba0.jpg

Sort of like “aircraft” watching lol

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

I have recently discovered that antibiotics can maintain their effectiveness for up to 18 years past their use by date.  Apparently, when the Govt required all food etc to have either a Use By or Best Before date the pharmaceutical companies did not have sufficient data or time to fully investigate this so, in order to comply, they simply nominated a conservative date to drugs and have never reviewed these.  I travel with broad spectrum and specific issue antibiotics.  I do believe that you need to take the full course but I don't toss them when the supposed use by date expires.

That is what my wife has been advised similar info as well. She was advised they lose around 4 percent potency/effectiveness per year. As someone who has diverticular issues, antibiotics are an essential packing item for her. While pretty much sorted these days following surgery, it is still one of the first things packed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thinking of you in Canada. The East Coast is my favourite part of Canada. I love the people and the music.  Is there a link showing ports yet to come?

I have just returned from Manhattan, where we enjoyed  live theatre every day and Orlando, Florida, where we had fun at WDW.  Temperatures were close to 100 with high humidity, thunderstorms. flooding rains - worse heat than Queensland. We enjoyed flying Air NZ sky couches from Auckland to NY and Houston to Auckland.  It is the only way to travel to USA long haul.  We slept all the way!  Kiwi Food was surprisingly good for economy and the Air NZ service is always first class.  Wine with meals, with seconds!

No dream cruises along the beautiful Queenland Coast to Darwin, so I'm about to fly to Darwin for ten days, so I don't loose my points.  

• Like 4

17 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Thinking of you in Canada. The East Coast is my favourite part of Canada. I love the people and the music.  Is there a link showing ports yet to come?

This is where they are going this month:

Wed 10/07/24 - Bar Harbor (ME)* / USA - 07:00 - 19:00
Thu 11/07/24 - Boston (MA) / USA - 08:00 -  22:00
Fri 12/07/24 - At Sea
Sat 13/07/24 - New York (NY) / USA - 06:30
Sun 14/07/24 - New York (NY) / USA - 16:00
Mon 15/07/24 - At Sea
Tue 16/07/24 - At Sea
Wed 17/07/24 - Key West (FL) / USA -  08:00 - 16:00
Thu 18/07/24 - At Sea
Fri 19/07/24 - At Sea
Sat 20/07/24 - Panama Canal (Passage/Cruise) / Panama - 06:00 - 16:30
Sun 21/07/24 - At Sea
Mon 22/07/24 - Manta / Ecuador - 05:00 - 18:00
Tue 23/07/24 - At Sea
Wed 24/07/24 - At Sea
Thu 25/07/24 - Callao (Lima) / Peru - 05:00
Fri 26/07/24 - Callao (Lima) / Peru - 18:00
Sat 27/07/24 - Pisco / Peru - 07:00 - 16:00
Sun 28/07/24 - At Sea
Mon 29/07/24 - At Sea
Tue 30/07/24 - At Sea
Wed 31/07/24 - At Sea
Thu 01/08/24 - Hangaroa* / Easter Island - 07:00 - 18:00

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

This is where they are going this month:

Wed 10/07/24 - Bar Harbor (ME)* / USA - 07:00 - 19:00
Thu 11/07/24 - Boston (MA) / USA - 08:00 -  22:00
Fri 12/07/24 - At Sea
Sat 13/07/24 - New York (NY) / USA - 06:30
Mon 15/07/24 - At Sea
Tue 16/07/24 - At Sea
Wed 17/07/24 - Key West (FL) / USA -  08:00 - 16:00
Thu 18/07/24 - At Sea
Fri 19/07/24 - At Sea
Sun 21/07/24 - At Sea
Tue 23/07/24 - At Sea
Wed 24/07/24 - At Sea
Sun 28/07/24 - At Sea
Mon 29/07/24 - At Sea
Tue 30/07/24 - At Sea
Wed 31/07/24 - At Sea

Thank you.  The last time we visited Boston we were diverted to Boston by a hurricane.  My friends in Boston received an unexpected visit.  

Ah two nights in New York would be a cruise highlight for me.  I'll always remember the magic of standing on deck watching the skyscrapers in Manhattan creep ever closer. I met a girlfriend and we walked up to Broadway, on both occasions, where we saw a Spanish "West Side Story". I still can't believe we were game enough to hurry back alone, after the theatre, me to the wharf and my girlfriend to the Port Authority, the bus depot.  Life is much easier now, as you can make half price ticket bookings on your phone. We drove to Key West, which is a unique city. Key Lime Pie and alcohol come to mind. Enjoy your cruise to USA.   

• Like 4

Well we had a fog clear day in Bar Harbour, but as the ship leaves the Island the fog has closed in around us again.

We are getting quite used to the fog horn sounding as we sleep.

We went up Cadillac Mountain today to enjoy the great views, it was the highlight of our day.

We were on a small group excursion organized by Princess and were about 1 and half hours late getting ashore due to the slow immigration process.

Our tour guide just shuffled things around to make sure that we got to do most things on our tour.

Coming back on the shuttle I heard other groups didn't get to do Cadillac Mountain as the tour companies have to book a time to go up the mountain due to limited parking space at the top and their allocated parking slot had already passed.

Passengers who took the local trolley bus did get to go up the mountain. This was not Princess organized, they just had to wait for the next one at the pier.

Back at the ship we heard that the puffin tour had been cancelled that morning when the group was in the Princess theater as the boat used for it had other passengers aboard and they couldn't wait any longer for the Princess group. One of these passengers we sit with at dinner and she told us they were still able to do their immigration with the tour groups and a few of them went ashore together and booked a cruise around the islands. She still seemed to have enjoyed the day.

Not doubt we will continue to hear immigration stories in the coming days.

• Like 5

Just now, Tranquility Base said:

Bar Harbor's restrictions on cruise ships and passenger numbers will really start to be noticed next year.

Apparently, according to our tour guide, they are starting to rethink those restrictions as they may be too restrictive. Tourism is a very major industry in Bar Harbor these days so they may have to adjust their numbers to ensure they get a sensible number of passengers without being swamped. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Apparently, according to our tour guide, they are starting to rethink those restrictions as they may be too restrictive. Tourism is a very major industry in Bar Harbor these days so they may have to adjust their numbers to ensure they get a sensible number of passengers without being swamped. 

It looks like most of the bigger ships have pulled out next year, with NCL the only regular visitor. 2025 & 2026 WCs on Crown Princess both skip Bar Harbor, with the only US ports being New York & Miami.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
Just now, arxcards said:

It looks like most of the bigger ships have pulled out next year, with NCL the only regular visitor. 2025 & 2026 WCs on Crown Princess both skip Bar Harbor, with the only US ports being New York & Miami.

It might take them a few years to modify their restrictions. Plus Crown Princess is a bigger ship than Coral - just over 3000 passengers instead of Coral's 2000.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

14 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It might take them a few years to modify their restrictions. Plus Crown Princess is a bigger ship than Coral - just over 3000 passengers instead of Coral's 2000.

Norwegian Getaway is calling there, and she would shadow Crown Princess. Otherwise, I would agree that tendering becomes a hassle for bigger ships. That is the miss for us next year, as we only get one Canadian plus two US ports. The plus, and our hook, is the extra ports in Norway.

• Like 2

Just now, arxcards said:

Norwegian Getaway is calling there, and she would shadow Crown Princess. Otherwise, I would agree that tendering becomes a hassle for bigger ships. That is the miss for us next year, as we only get one Canadian plus two US ports. The plus, and our hook, is the extra ports in Norway.

Ships booked to visit this year were grandfathered in, thank goodness.

• Like 1

Had a lovely day in Boston today, a top of 28 degrees but pleasant in the shade.

In the morning we visited Havard and learnt about its house system and history with funny stories from our guide.

We got out of the city in the afternoon and went to Lexington and Concord which are small towns filled with history such as Louisa May Alcott's house (Little Women) and the North Bridge where the "shot rang out around the world" It was interesting to see how far and over what terrain the 800 British soldiers had to march that night long ago

Another production show tomorrow night, the forth since Dover with this new dance and singer group, this one is called La Danza. We so far haven't seen any of these productions even though we were on the Coral in 2022. We have heard talk that they are not the usual Princess singers and dancers, well wherever they have come from they are the best singers and dancers I have ever seen on Princess.

A much needed sea day tomorrow after 4 port days in a row. Enough time to recuperate and get ready for 2 days in New York.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, sewgood said:

Had a lovely day in Boston today, a top of 28 degrees but pleasant in the shade.

In the morning we visited Havard and learnt about its house system and history with funny stories from our guide.

We got out of the city in the afternoon and went to Lexington and Concord which are small towns filled with history such as Louisa May Alcott's house (Little Women) and the North Bridge where the "shot rang out around the world" It was interesting to see how far and over what terrain the 800 British soldiers had to march that night long ago

Another production show tomorrow night, the forth since Dover with this new dance and singer group, this one is called La Danza. We so far haven't seen any of these productions even though we were on the Coral in 2022. We have heard talk that they are not the usual Princess singers and dancers, well wherever they have come from they are the best singers and dancers I have ever seen on Princess.

A much needed sea day tomorrow after 4 port days in a row. Enough time to recuperate and get ready for 2 days in New York.

On the World Cruises I have been on there has been a 'special' production crew, not the usual cast. The shows are totally different from the usual Princess ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hoping your bronchitis is abating, Julie, and you are feeling stronger each day.  Just wanted to share the good news that our travel insurance provider (Westpac credit card) has accepted and is settling my claim for the shipboard medical treatment for the acute bronchitis I suffered during our recent Oceania cruise (minus excess of $300, a small amount compared to the onboard medical bill of almost $7,000).  A great relief, and rewarding to know that Westpac, or rather its underwriter Allianz, handles genuine claims respectfully and responsibly.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Coral Princess is currently on her way to New York.....

Current position of Coral Princess: Under way from Boston (MA) to New York (NY)

coralprincessmap12072024.jpg

• Departure was 8 hrs 18 min ago. (at 22:00 h local time)
  • Arrival will be in 1 d 12 min. (at 06:30 h local time)
  • Traveled distance since Boston (MA): 61.71 nm (114.28 km)
  • Remaining distance to New York (NY): 293.58 nm (543.72 km)
  • Traveled distance since Dover: 4,580.29 nm (8,482.69 km)
  • Speed: 10.10 kn (18.71 km/h)
  • Course: 152°

Here is the itinerary for the next leg of the World Cruise and I have also included a couple web cams links as well.

Sat 13/07/24 - New York (NY) / USA - 06:30 - https://www.portnywebcam.com/ and https://www.nyharborwebcam.com/

Mon 15/07/24 - At Sea
Tue 16/07/24 - At Sea
Wed 17/07/24 - Key West (FL) / USA -  08:00 - 16:00 - https://www.keywestharborwebcam.com/

Thu 18/07/24 - At Sea
Fri 19/07/24 - At Sea
Sun 21/07/24 - At Sea
Tue 23/07/24 - At Sea
Wed 24/07/24 - At Sea
Sun 28/07/24 - At Sea
Mon 29/07/24 - At Sea
Tue 30/07/24 - At Sea
Wed 31/07/24 - At Sea
Fri 02/08/24 - At Sea
Sat 03/08/24 - At Sea
Sun 04/08/24 - Pitcairn (Passage) / South Seas - 10:00 - 14:00
Mon 05/08/24 - At Sea
Tue 06/08/24 - At Sea
Wed 07/08/24 - Papeete (Tahiti) / French Polynesia - 08:00
Thu 08/08/24 - Papeete (Tahiti) / French Polynesia - 00:00 - 04:00
Thu 08/08/24 - Moorea* / French Polynesia - 07:00 - 18:00
Fri 09/08/24 - At Sea
Sat 10/08/24 - At Sea
Sun 11/08/24 - Date Line
Mon 12/08/24 - Day lost (due to passing the dateline)
Tue 13/08/24 - At Sea
Wed 14/08/24 - At Sea
Thu 15/08/24 - Auckland / New Zealand - 07:00 - 19:00

Anyone getting off the Coral in New York? or getting on in New York?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Hoping your bronchitis is abating, Julie, and you are feeling stronger each day.

Julie was I were on the same excursion in Bar Harbour, she said she was feeling better but she did still have a cough at times but at least she was out and about.

Hopefully two days later she is starting to fully recover.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

We have been told that there is a lot of fog in this region due to the cold water coming down from Labrador.

Today at sea there is still some fog and the fog horn is sounding but at least today we can see the sky.

As we move south the fog seems to burn off earlier each day.

We started our tour at 9am yesterday and the fog had already lifted but in Halifax the fog lasted right through our early morning tour to Peggy's Cove.

In Sydney out at Fortress Louisburg the fog rolled back in, in the afternoon. Actually it was really scenic and hopefully we have some great photos (I'll look at them when we get home). We just loved the fortress and it was the highlight of our cruise so far.

Edited by sewgood
  • Like 3

Just now, Mareblu said:

Hoping your bronchitis is abating, Julie, and you are feeling stronger each day.  Just wanted to share the good news that our travel insurance provider (Westpac credit card) has accepted and is settling my claim for the shipboard medical treatment for the acute bronchitis I suffered during our recent Oceania cruise (minus excess of $300, a small amount compared to the onboard medical bill of almost $7,000).  A great relief, and rewarding to know that Westpac, or rather its underwriter Allianz, handles genuine claims respectfully and responsibly.

Thanks, Linda. I'm improving each day with just a bit of residual coughing. I managed to go on our booked excursions in Halifax and Bar Harbor - both were good and luckily mostly bus touring. We did the HoHo bus yesterday in Boston, then had a quick wander through part of the town. I even managed some shopping! 

Good to hear your claim was approved. I've managed to avoid the Medical Centre this time. Although I might have been able to claim back the costs of the excursions I missed I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of making a claim. I had all the medications I needed with me anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1