BON VOYAGE Coral Princess World Cruisers 2024

4 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Always colder in Cooma, but often not by much.  But I do remember, as a child living in Cooma so long ago, the pipes bursting frequently in winter.  I actually love cold weather, but I struggle in the heat of summer, especially if it’s humid.

I read that too!  My brother lives in Cairns, and they are experiencing a cold winter (for them).

Anything below 20 degrees is considered cold in Cairns. Well I did when I lived there.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

Anything below 20 degrees is considered cold in Cairns. Well I did when I lived there.

Agree we live in Mackay on central qld coast and it has gotten down to 5 this past week - for us thick blooded Queenslanders that's freezing 🥶

• Like 2

I think the whole Southern Hemisphere must be cold. This morning I went out on our balcony and it was decidedly chilly and we are still in the tropics! It was too cold to go to the Sanctuary this afternoon. 

Oh well! At least it will give my skin a chance to recover from being in full sun for all of the Panama Canal transit. I was using plenty of factor 50 sunscreen but obviously didn't reapply often enough. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think the whole Southern Hemisphere must be cold. This morning I went out on our balcony and it was decidedly chilly and we are still in the tropics! It was too cold to go to the Sanctuary this afternoon. 

Oh well! At least it will give my skin a chance to recover from being in full sun for all of the Panama Canal transit. I was using plenty of factor 50 sunscreen but obviously didn't reapply often enough. 

The sun’s reflection bouncing off the water on a cruise can cause quite severe burning.  Mario learnt that lesson from sitting on our balcony in the Arctic Circle (!) years ago.  Men, particularly, have selective hearing🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Oh, hope you’re not too uncomfortable 🥰

• Like 1

After leaving Manta, Ecuador Coral Princess has two days at sea as she heads for

Lima (Callao), Peru:

coral-princess-location-24072024.jpg

Data according to itinerary:

Current position of Coral Princess: Under way from Manta to Callao (Lima)

• Departure was 1 d 9 hrs 44 min ago. (at 18:00 h local time)
  • Arrival will be in 1 d 1 hrs 16 min. (at 05:00 h local time)
  • Traveled distance since Manta: 325.81 nm (603.40 km)
  • Remaining distance to Callao (Lima): 451.73 nm (836.61 km)
  • Traveled distance since New York (NY): 3,243.82 nm (6,007.56 km)
  • Speed: 13.70 kn (25.37 km/h)
  • Course: 146°
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

Oh, hope you’re not too uncomfortable 🥰

No, I didn't get really sunburnt, just a bit pink in a couple of small spots that I probably missed when I reapplied the sunscreen. I always apply the first coat of sunscreen before I put my swimsuit on so make sure those spots are covered initially it's harder to make sure I've covered all those bits when reapplying. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Coral Princes docked in Callao (Lima), Peru today.

Coral Princes is spending overnight in Callao.

coralprincess-ais-26072024.jpg

Coral Princes web cam is not updating at the moment 😞

Edited by Kiwi_cruiser
  • Like 5

Coral Princes visited Pisco, Peru today.

cp28072024.jpg

AIS coverage in Pisco, Peru is poor, so I am not too sure if she docked or anchored.

Coral Princes web cam is still not updating 😞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Kiwicruiser, thanks for the map it's good to see the shape of the coastline where we were.

We docked in an industrial port and the patter said the free shuttle should take 30 mins to the nearest town. We were docked in the desert and the people on the nature reserve tour saw neither any wildlife (there are flamingos at a certain time of year ) or vegetation, but they did make 5 photo stops for the rock/sand formations.

I went on the tour to Tambo Colorado to see a former Inca Palace, which was on the Inac trail to Machu Piccu. The drive was interesting going through small desert towns and lots of vegetable fields. The water for irrigation comes from underground.

• Like 3

We did the Pisco Trail excursion which took us through the some of the desert between the coast and the Andes. Even though it is desert, due to underground aquifers there is a lot of agriculture in this region - asparagus, artichokes, potatoes, corn, pecans, grapes, etc. 

Pisco is a spirit similar to grappa. The difference is that Pisco is made from fermented grape juice from the whole grape which is then distilled, grappa uses the skins etc from after the grapes are pressed for wine.

Pisco is very pure and quite potent but when shaken with lime juice, simple (sugar) syrup, egg white and ice makes the renowned Pisco Sour. A perfect aperitif drink IMHO! Unfortunately Princess doesn't stock Pisco in any of its bars so no Pisco Sours onboard.😭

• Like 4

Just now, Mareblu said:

My much-loved FIL's nickname was "Grappa".  I still think it tastes like I imagine kerosene to taste.

I liken it to rocket fuel! 🤣

• Haha 1

I really enjoy our stop in Paracas last year.

Easy and free shuttle into the town which had a nice relaxed vibe.

Friendly locals, not crowded.

Tried some different Pisco drinks, ate lunch, bought the T shirt.

Good people watching from the numerous bars along the waterfront promenade.

A great way to chill out after hectic Lima and get back into relax mode prior to the Pacific crossing.

• Like 2

I don't think any of you would still be awake but here it is hot off the press, the Captain just announced that the weather is not as good as they had hoped but at the moment the local officials will board after sunrise and all will go ahead as planned in regards to getting ready to tender but no decision will be made until later.

The captain no doubt is waiting to see if the sea conditions improve.There will be further announcements made later to keep up us to date.

As I sit in the cabin I can feel the rolling of the ship and I can see the water conditions and there is just enough movement out there that I wouldn't like to get on or off a tender.

So at this point in time it it just a matter of waiting to see if conditions improve.

• Like 1

It's 10am now and number 1 has just been called for the tender.

I have been outside watching and at least 4-5 tenders have gone across for passengers on Princess shore excursions. The tenders have been going up and down a lot in the swell.

I have to be across by 1:15pm to meet for my Princess shore tour, so time for us to get ready.

We have been told the tendering is taking some time.

I hope they have some small white bags on the tender, you know the ones that appear in the ships stairwells when it gets rough. 😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sewgood said:

It's 10am now and number 1 has just been called for the tender.

I have been outside watching and at least 4-5 tenders have gone across for passengers on Princess shore excursions. The tenders have been going up and down a lot in the swell.

I have to be across by 1:15pm to meet for my Princess shore tour, so time for us to get ready.

We have been told the tendering is taking some time.

I hope they have some small white bags on the tender, you know the ones that appear in the ships stairwells when it gets rough. 😁

I hope you had a memorable day.

• Like 1

We had a great afternoon ashore but getting on and off the tenders at the ship end was "interesting"!

We got a great view of the ship from the first stop on our tour.

20240801_134214.thumb.jpg.80271aba0e880957488435c39c47f894.jpg

• Like 12

22 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We had a great afternoon ashore but getting on and off the tenders at the ship end was "interesting"!

We got a great view of the ship from the first stop on our tour.

20240801_134214.thumb.jpg.80271aba0e880957488435c39c47f894.jpg

Great photo - the ancient & the modern, the mysterious & the known. 

• Like 1

After leaving Pisco, Peru Coral Princess had 4 days at sea, as she headed towards Easter Island.

Where she has arrived today and have anchored off Hangaroa, Easter Island:

easterisland02082024.jpg

coralprincess-ais02082024.jpg

Here is the link to the webcam:

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/chile/valparaiso/easter-island/easter-island.html

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

So glad you made it to Easter Island. It is one of my favourite remote places on earth. In the good old days, there used to be regular trans-Pacific flights between Australia and Chile that went via Tahiti and Easter Island. (Alas, no longer available).  They were only twice a week, so you were 'forced' to stay three or four nights, which I did on two occasions in the early 2000s. In those days, you could stay with a local family, hire a small 4WD and drive anywhere you liked on the island. Nowadays, it is highly regulated, hard to get a visa from Chile, and you can't set foot on Easter island without a full itinerary and a local guide.

Edited by cruiser3775
  • Thanks 1

We had a great day ashore and we are very thankful to have come here.

I still can't believe I've been to Easter Island after so many years of first seeing pictures of the statues.

The tour was fantastic and well worth the money. 🙂

One more thing to tick off the bucket list.

Princess's tender and shore crew did a terrific job under very difficult conditions.

• Like 9