SW Suspending Flights to/from IAH and 3 Others Starting 8/4/24

Saw this today: We’ve made a tough decision to suspend Southwest service at four airports in our network as peak Summer 2024 travel ends in early August. We are no longer accepting reservations beyond August 4, 2024, for travel in or out of Bellingham, Washington (BLI), Cozumel, Mexico (CZM), Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH), and Syracuse, New York (SYR). 

What the H E double toothpicks!

Cozumel I get.

I know Hobby is their base but Houston is so large and each airport is on the opposite side of the city so Hobby is a PITA for people north of Houston.

Syracuse? Really?

Since the Galveston cruise port is growing, IAH going away s going to put a wrench in a lot people's cruise plans later this year and beyond.

46 minutes ago, loretta said:

Since the Galveston cruise port is growing, IAH going away s going to put a wrench in a lot people's cruise plans later this year and beyond.

I wonder whether SW will reroute those IAH flights to Hobby instead. If I were flying in to cruise, I’d rather land at Hobby and not have to drive through/past downtown Houston to get to Galveston. 

I've flown Southwest to IAH before. The gate area there is a mess. No lining up because there's no room, they just call people 5 at a time, check the number and let you go down to the line gate where you officially get checked on to the plane. In fact, I was surprised Southwest flew to IAH in the first place, I thought they only flew to Hobby. Of course, I was also surprised to find JetBlue moved from Hobby to IAH. 

• Like 1

Not sure how this should affect anyone sailing out of Galveston. There were just a few flights a day between IAH and DAL (Love Field). There are 10 plus flights every day between DAL and HOU (Hobby) which is a much better airport to use for Galveston cruises.

This is at least the second time that Southwest has pulled out of IAH.

• Like 1

I prefer HOU but I know several people who prefer to fly into IAH for different reasons. HOU has a lot of SW flights so there may not be any more gates for additional flights. But at least they're giving several months notice.