Sit Down Breakfast in MDR going away?

Saw a comment on Facebook (I know, I know, don't believe everything you read online, hence why I ask the experts here 😁) that Carnival Firenze did not have sit down breakfast on port or sea days, and instead was replaced with another breakfast buffet.

I know the Firenze and Venezia are slightly different from the traditional Carnival fleet, but I'm sailing Mardi Gras in November, and would be really bummed if they go rid of sit down breakfast!

Any insight?

• Like 1

That would be surprising. MDR breakfast is something that we will occasionally partake in.

I think we would be hearing much more from people if that is\was the case. Seaday brunch is usually pretty packed as well.

I am on it next week so I guess I'll find out then!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My friend is on Firenze right now. She said that on Sea Days you can go to MDR and you have a choice of sit down and order off a menu or they have a buffet area. She says you get seated by the host and it’s very nice. 

Edited by Indiansbaseball
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

They better not get rid of the sit down breakfast or brunch. It's nothing special anymore but the food at the breakfast buffet is absolutely disgusting.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, mz-s said:

They better not get rid of the sit down breakfast or brunch. It's nothing special anymore but the food at the breakfast buffet is absolutely disgusting.

It may be disgusting to you, but plenty of people do enjoy the buffets. We now prefer the buffets over the MDR because service has not been consistently good since Covid. Cold food, missing items, not getting ordered drinks, two hour meals, etc. Just got back from 14 days on the Vista, and never ate in the MDR except for the Diamond Lunch. We didn't starve. To each their own. :classic_cool:

• Like 17

1 minute ago, Jamman54 said:

It may be disgusting to you, but plenty of people do enjoy the buffets. We now prefer the buffets over the MDR because service has not been consistently good since Covid. Cold food, missing items, not getting ordered drinks, two hour meals, etc. Just got back from 14 days on the Vista, and never ate in the MDR except for the Diamond Lunch. We didn't starve. To each their own. :classic_cool:

Everything is disgusting to him. We were on the Vista the cruise before you and the buffet was for breakfast. We even ate a couple dinners there and it was very good.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

The lunch and dinner buffets aren't bad, the breakfast though is disgusting and it's not just me saying that. Cut up hot dogs passed off as sausage swimming in water, watery green "scrambled egg" food product, ham steaks that are simultaneously burnt and cold, boiled eggs that could be used as cue balls, gummy raw english muffins used for the benedicts. I could go on.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, mz-s said:

The lunch and dinner buffets aren't bad, the breakfast though is disgusting and it's not just me saying that. Cut up hot dogs passed off as sausage swimming in water, watery green "scrambled egg" food product, ham steaks that are simultaneously burnt and cold, boiled eggs that could be used as cue balls, gummy raw english muffins used for the benedicts. I could go on.

Which I never saw the three or four times that I ate at the breakfast buffet. Was everything perfect? Of course not , but not even close to the extent that you saw. If it was I would agree with you. Also had several breakfast burritos from BI Cantina which were excellent. :classic_cool:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Which I never saw the three or four times that I ate at the breakfast buffet. Was everything perfect? Of course not , but not even close to the extent that you saw. If it was I would agree with you. Also had several breakfast burritos from BI Cantina which were excellent. :classic_cool:

Yes, the breakfast at Cantina is great for sure. Buffet is not in my experience.

• Like 2

was on the celebration in oct 23, went to sea day breakfast, left hungry and went to the buffet and had awesome pancakes- also the food was hot unlike the mdr where it was lukewarm- went to the buffet for breakfast the rest of the cruise and thoroughly enjoyed the pancakes, waffles and french toast!!!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

The food may not be disgusting, but the behavior of the clientele is. I am currently on Glory and what I witnessed in the buffet line yesterday was almost beyond belief. Yesterday was a port day in Bermuda and my wife and I returned just after 3pm, so we went upstairs to get a bite to eat and we happened to grab a table right next to the serving line. As the buffet hit its scheduled closing time of 3:30pm, staff placed signs all along the cafeteria-style line stating that the buffet was now closed. Additionally, they removed all the ladles and serving spoons from the food items.  Did that stop the late-arriving passengers from getting food? Absolutely not! In fact, it became almost a feeding frenzy as passengers were doing whatever they could to get some food. This included using their own little forks and spoons and dipping them into the food items, and then handing them to other passengers who arrived at the line without their own utensils. Some were using their hands to grab at the cakes and other dessert items. I even saw one man use his hands to tear off a couple of hunks of turkey from what remained of the bird. I was absolutely appalled. 

I finally went up to a Carnival employee who was standing there watching all this and asked why she didn't try to put a stop to this clearly unsanitary customer behavior. Her response was that they were just going to throw all the food away anyway so it didn't matter.

Needless to say, I won't be going back to the buffet for the remainder of this cruise. But then again, the food in the MDR hasn't been great on this cruise either, so that only leaves me with pizza, the deli, and room service, lol. BTW, I don't want this to come across as a general Carnival-bashing comment. This is my 4th Carnival cruise in the last 12 months encompassing 53 days of sailing, and the first 3 cruises were great. We also have a 25-night transpacific cruise coming up this October on Panorama, so I'm hoping that this has just been a one off, and that we'll have better food and better passengers on that cruise.

If not, it is going to be a very looong 25 days. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

The food may not be disgusting, but the behavior of the clientele is. I am currently on Glory and what I witnessed in the buffet line yesterday was almost beyond belief. Yesterday was a port day in Bermuda and my wife and I returned just after 3pm, so we went upstairs to get a bite to eat and we happened to grab a table right next to the serving line. As the buffet hit its scheduled closing time of 3:30pm, staff placed signs all along the cafeteria-style line stating that the buffet was now closed. Additionally, they removed all the ladles and serving spoons from the food items.  Did that stop the late-arriving passengers from getting food? Absolutely not! In fact, it became almost a feeding frenzy as passengers were doing whatever they could to get some food. This included using their own little forks and spoons and dipping them into the food items, and then handing them to other passengers who arrived at the line without their own utensils. Some were using their hands to grab at the cakes and other dessert items. I even saw one man use his hands to tear off a couple of hunks of turkey from what remained of the bird. I was absolutely appalled. 

I finally went up to a Carnival employee who was standing there watching all this and asked why she didn't try to put a stop to this clearly unsanitary customer behavior. Her response was that they were just going to throw all the food away anyway so it didn't matter.

Needless to say, I won't be going back to the buffet for the remainder of this cruise. But then again, the food in the MDR hasn't been great on this cruise either, so that only leaves me with pizza, the deli, and room service, lol. BTW, I don't want this to come across as a general Carnival-bashing comment. This is my 4th Carnival cruise in the last 12 months encompassing 53 days of sailing, and the first 3 cruises were great. We also have a 25-night transpacific cruise coming up this October on Panorama, so I'm hoping that this has just been a one off, and that we'll have better food and better passengers on that cruise.

If not, it is going to be a very looong 25 days. 

And you're on a TA Journeys cruise with a mostly older experienced crowd? Wow! :classic_cool:

2 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

And you're on a TA Journeys cruise with a mostly older experienced crowd? Wow! :classic_cool:

Yes! I'd expect such behavior from twentysomethings on a Spring Break Caribbean cruise, but not so-called mature adults on a longer Journeys cruise. On second thought, I wouldn't even expect such behavior from them either.

I even saw one fifty-something woman get up from her table and walk up to the serving line carrying her fork and just pluck out a meatball [or some other round meat object] and walk back to her table with it. I even made direct eye contact with her and said loud enough for her to hear: "Are you f'n kidding me?!" Didn't faze her at all.  That was actually the point at which I had had enough and got up from my table and approached the Carnival employee to ask why they permitted this ridiculously unsanitary food frenzy when the buffet was supposed to be closed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mz-s said:

You forgot the limp, grease dripping bacon that so many love (not me).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jamman54 said:

<------Tapping foot, twittling thumb, and looking at watch for your vista review 🙂

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

That would be surprising. MDR breakfast is something that we will occasionally partake in.

I think we would be hearing much more from people if that is\was the case. Seaday brunch is usually pretty packed as well.

I am on it next week so I guess I'll find out then!

Look forward to hearing your report back! Have a great time!😎

• Like 1

We seldom use the MDR for breakfast. The Carnival sea day brunches we have experienced are terrific.  I would be sorry to see that changed.   

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

If I didn't know better I'd say Glory was still homeported in New Orleans, because those are exactly the kind of clientele Carnival attracts there, even moreso on the 4/5 nights sailings. 

My last trip on the Glory in January from New Orleans was probably my least enjoyable cruise. Watching people at the buffet and Guy burgers gorge themselves with food is not a pretty site.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Just another attempt to bash at every single opportunity.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ledges1 said:

My last trip on the Glory in January from New Orleans was probably my least enjoyable cruise. Watching people at the buffet and Guy burgers gorge themselves with food is not a pretty site.

I agree, it is sad and horrifying when I think that I was right there with them not long ago (gorging myself endlessly, eating just to eat). I'm more aware now.

• Haha 1