Navigator App New Format?

We have a cruise booked in November and I opened the app today and noticed a new format under my itinerary. It used to allow you to scroll along the days of the cruise to see what you've booked. Now that is not the case. Has anyone else noticed this change? TIA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Until you mentioned it, no. But you are indeed correct. I liked the linear option better.

I can work with this format, but I liked the scrolling version better. (My theory is that there are committee meetings where they sit around brainstorming ways to annoy me.)

• Like 4
  • Haha 14

Yes I saw it this morning.  Now you have to go to "Daily Program" under Experiences, then you'll see across the top "Day 1, 2, etc.".  Click on the day you want and then click on My itinerary.  Your bookings will show up.  A change for the worse, IMO. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DFWGUYZ said:

We have a cruise booked in November and I opened the app today and noticed a new format under my itinerary. It used to allow you to scroll along the days of the cruise to see what you've booked. Now that is not the case. Has anyone else noticed this change? TIA

Try hitting the little calendar icon to the right of the grey box showing the date/location when viewing "My Itinerary". It should toggle between viewing formats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I find it ok, but I can see a problem with a long cruise and being able to identify the individual day/dates. 

However, what I do not like (and you won't experience this until you are sailing) is that current and future dates both list events from earliest time thru to latest time (i.e. in chronological order) however for past days the events list in reverse order with midnight at the top of page and it is necessary to scroll right down the page for early times.  I don't see the need for the difference.

Edited by VMax1700
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I find it ok, but I can see a problem with a long cruise and being able to identify the individual day/dates. 

However, what I do not like (and you won't experience this until you are sailing) is that current and future dates both list events from earliest time thru to latest time (i.e. in chronological order) however for past days the events list in reverse order with midnight at the top of page and it is necessary to scroll right down the page for early times.  I don't see the need for the difference.

For example here are the events for tomorrow

Screenshot_20240430_232504_Navigator.thumb.jpg.b4b68b38931136090e7df627b9f0347f.jpg

and here are the events for last Sunday

Screenshot_20240430_232525_Navigator.thumb.jpg.565f3a1d41418b11eda1fc950cfa0302.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks, everyone. I understand how to use it but not impressed, As @POA1 mentioned, I can work with it but it appears someone or a group was making "job justifications"...

• Like 4

My issue with the app is that it will not display the current diner menus in the MDR on the Volendam, It says the page is unavailable when I click on the menu links. The menu has changed to the summer Canada NE cruise season menu and we will be on the Volendam in August.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 4:53 PM, Overhead Fred said:

Try hitting the little calendar icon to the right of the grey box showing the date/location when viewing "My Itinerary". It should toggle between viewing formats.

That's the old version. When you update the app to the newest version, hitting the calendar icon brings up a selection calendar. So, in essence, you have 2 day-by-day selectors, and no scrolling option.

Screenshot_20240502-090528.thumb.png.ddc70a3397f9bdba52682e5e97436864.png

Not exactly the best UI design, but someone at HAL likely signed off on it.

In the previous, "unimproved" version, hitting the calendar icon toggled between the day view, using a drop down date selector, and the linear view, where you scrolled through your whole itinerary.

Now, to see your whole itinerary, you have to click on every single day and view a day at a time. It's annoying for our 7 day cruise, but if I were on a long sailing the new user interface would really grate my cheese.

After just a few days on Westerdam, our plans disappeared entirely from the app.  Tour tickets are still there, so that hasn’t been a worry.

DH and I have looked on a variety of devices.  I updated the app on my phone one day when I had cell service in port.  Plans are still gone.

We haven’t bothered to seek help onboard, since I keep my own calendar anyhow of dining reservations, etc.  

5 hours ago, POA1 said:

That's the old version. When you update the app to the newest version, hitting the calendar icon brings up a selection calendar. So, in essence, you have 2 day-by-day selectors, and no scrolling option.

I'm glad I haven't updated! We are nearing the end of our 28 day cruise - my cheese would also have been grated with the new version...

• Haha 1

My Navigator App doesn't work. Getting used to it, just shut it down. Flashes on and off and won't allow you to type anything in.

• Like 1

I don't know, I really like the new version. It's clean, it easy to navigate and there's more information. For instance, I can see my airport transfer and hotel information on My Itinerary. It includes instructions on where to meet the driver and contact numbers if you can't find them. This is GREATLY appreciated because I had issues last spring in Amsterdam as it took us over 2 hours to clear customs and we couldn't find the driver anywhere and I didn't have any of that information at my fingertips. I wound up having to take the train to the hotel, all while lugging three bags and carryons. I wasn't the only one on board who'd had similar issues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was on the ship when the app changed. The best part of the app vanished which was a listing of all the hours of bars and dining options each day. I hope they reinstate it because it was exceptionally helpful.

• Like 3

On 4/30/2024 at 2:27 PM, VMax1700 said:

For example here are the events for tomorrow

Screenshot_20240430_232504_Navigator.thumb.jpg.b4b68b38931136090e7df627b9f0347f.jpg

and here are the events for last Sunday

Screenshot_20240430_232525_Navigator.thumb.jpg.565f3a1d41418b11eda1fc950cfa0302.jpg

Note the Past Activities text.  They are showing the past activities in chronological order, starting with the latest and going back in time.  Works pretty well for the current day (and I almost never try to look at previous days, so I don't know how well that works).  I don't think the old version ever showed past activities, but I could easily be wrong.

On 5/4/2024 at 10:29 PM, iflyrc5 said:

What is the latest version for Android - mine says 4.36.1

That's the latest. In the Google Play store, click on About this app... Scroll all the way to the bottom and you'll see the latest version.

On 5/3/2024 at 6:24 PM, aa7yy said:

My Navigator App doesn't work. Getting used to it, just shut it down. Flashes on and off and won't allow you to type anything in.

Yea, same here.  I installed it and opened it for the first time ever today, and it boggles the mind that it could be this bad. I couldn't even type my account name and password, as the app kept closing my keyboard after each letter I typed!  Had to copy/paste them from my password manager.

<shakes head> I'd heard the app had issues, but never thought it would be this level of terrible.😱

27 minutes ago, Siltoneous said:

Yea, same here.  I installed it and opened it for the first time ever today, and it boggles the mind that it could be this bad. I couldn't even type my account name and password, as the app kept closing my keyboard after each letter I typed!  Had to copy/paste them from my password manager.

<shakes head> I'd heard the app had issues, but never thought it would be this level of terrible.😱

The latest! As of yesterday ever time I googled Holland America Line everything that came up sent me to the App. I had to delete the App to get it to send me to the web site. I do not want to try cruise planing thru the App.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2024 at 6:46 PM, aa7yy said:

The latest! As of yesterday ever time I googled Holland America Line everything that came up sent me to the App. I had to delete the App to get it to send me to the web site. I do not want to try cruise planing thru the App.

That's an Android thing, not a HAL thing. Your device is searching locally first.. The app is on your phone, so it comes up first.

There is a way to turn it off, but you'll have to dig to find it. Alternatively, just use a different search engine. Neither Bing nor DuckDuckGo normally search on device the way Google does.

8 minutes ago, POA1 said:

That's an Android thing, not a HAL thing. Your device is searching locally first.. The app is on your phone, so it comes up first.

There is a way to turn it off, but you'll have to dig to find it. Alternatively, just use a different search engine. Neither Bing nor DuckDuckGo normally search on device the way Google does.

Thanks! I will belive you and work on it. But,,, this only happened 1 day and the app was on my phone for months. I use Firefox so another variable.

Thanks

13 minutes ago, aa7yy said:

Thanks! I will belive you and work on it. But,,, this only happened 1 day and the app was on my phone for months. I use Firefox so another variable.

Thanks

Got it! Thanks, don't know when it happened, probably an Android update. (Think there have been 2 or 3 this year) Search history is now tied into App usage. So now my most common searches are gone.