Live from Silver Muse - Tokyo to Seward to Vancouver - May 2024

Stickman1990

Stickman, thanks for posting so much detail, especially the entertainment.  We’ll be on Nova on a similar itinerary in 2026 and I’m just hoping the bean counters don’t nix the local onboard entertainment and the port send-offs by then.  Whoops, maybe I shouldn’t give’em any ideas…

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I’m just hoping the bean counters don’t nix the local onboard entertainment and the port send-offs by then

I’m not so sure Silversea fund the port send offs - it seems to be something that Japanese ports do - and some eg Miyako really go all out

I haven’t checked out your itinerary specifics but we’ve been very happy with the ports we’ve visited in northern Japan (we’ve done Tokyo down to Okinawan ports on previous cruises) 

Edited by Stickman1990
  • Like 1

Stickman, Thanks for your thread, I'd love to cruise Japan soon.  We are boarding the Muse in Seward in June for two weeks.  A question for you, are there binoculars provided in your Deluxe Veranda Suite?  Don't want to miss wildlife, but nice to not pack binocs if don't need to.  Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Stickman, Thanks for your thread, I'd love to cruise Japan soon.  We are boarding the Muse in Seward in June for two weeks.  A question for you, are there binoculars provided in your Deluxe Veranda Suite?  Don't want to miss wildlife, but nice to not pack binocs if don't need to.  Thanks. 

No, binoculars are not in veranda suites.  I’m definitely glad I took my own for the Alaska section. (Binoculars are not in cabins on Silver Wind/Cloud in Antarctica either.)

The Japanese farewells are done by the locals. Silversea does not pay for them. As I gave said before our best Japanese farewell was at Kanazawa but we were on a Hebridean cruise ship.

• Like 1

The spirits on board are quite good. If you enjoy a single malt scotch I would recommend:

Silversea will deliver to your suit, full bottle, with ice water or soda, as often as you wish.

IMG_2686.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, luv2kruz said:

The spirits on board are quite good. If you enjoy a single malt scotch I would recommend:

Silversea will deliver to your suit, full bottle, with ice water or soda, as often as you wish.

IMG_2686.jpeg

Love room service!

53 minutes ago, luv2kruz said:

IMG_2686.jpeg

What bourbons are available?

Enjoyed a lovely formal evening. Fortunately, tomorrow will be a balmy 37 degrees. Still, I can't see too many people following the Chronicles and taking a dip in the empty pool! 

Regarding bourbons, they definitely have Woodford Reserve, will try and find out others.

20240510_224741.jpg

20240510_224720.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 4:29 AM, julmops said:

We will be on the Muse for a week from Seward to Vancouver starting June 6 so very interested in first hand tips from current passengers ... Do you know who's the captain ?

We're on the return. boarding in vancouver pn the 13th.  between Covid, a cancelled itin and personal heath reasons, this is our 5th try.  if this goes south i'm declaring a not meant to be.

Edited by milepig
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2024 at 8:48 PM, Stickman1990 said:

I’m not so sure Silversea fund the port send offs - it seems to be something that Japanese ports do - and some eg Miyako really go all out

100% agree. Miyako not only set up the stands, dancers etc and send off, but the shuttle busses that were laid on and funded "by the "mayor" of Miyako. The town itself wasn't too memorable, but the welcome and friendliness of the people (especially the kids) was second to none.... and the send off blew me away. Could still hear them 30 mins after we left! Very humbling. Long my SS continue to support this town. 

May 5th was out International date line pass - so gutted it wasn't the day before so we had 2 May the fourths! lol

• Like 4

But Les you had 2 Cinco de Mayo. 48 hours to down all the tequila and Corona that you could. But I guess they didn't load enough.😉:classic_sad:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, drron29 said:

But Les you had 2 Cinco de Mayo. 48 hours to down all the tequila and Corona that you could. But I guess they didn't load enough.😉:classic_sad:

No Asahi, Sapporo or Guinness. It was a dry crossing - even though it was very very wet!

3 hours ago, les37b said:

100% agree. Miyako not only set up the stands, dancers etc and send off, but the shuttle busses that were laid on and funded "by the "mayor" of Miyako. The town itself wasn't too memorable, but the welcome and friendliness of the people (especially the kids) was second to none.... and the send off blew me away. Could still hear them 30 mins after we left! Very humbling. Long my SS continue to support this town. 

May 5th was out International date line pass - so gutted it wasn't the day before so we had 2 May the fourths! lol

I always made a point of hanging over the balcony or deck to wave goodbye.  Not just because I enjoyed the drumming and music, but also to show appreciation of the effort the towns went to.

• Like 3

May 11 Chronicles 

Day 12 - 11 May Day at sea_print.pdf

Once again apologies for no detailed posts recently - please don’t take that as 

a) a sign of dissatisfaction

b) poor internet service

c) anything else negative 

Nothing could be further from the truth as we grind our way across the North Pacific en route to Dutch Harbor. The seas have quite a swell but I wouldn’t describe them as particularly rough although many are feeling the impact - we’re very lucky not to feel the impacts of the seas motion except needing to be careful when moving about the ship. I do think it’s fair to say the Muse does creak and groan a little more than other ships we’ve experienced but again it doesn’t bother me as I sleep like a log 

We’re enjoying the sea day activities and dining options and the entertainment where we have welcomed a new female lead vocalists, Sona Varpetyan, who is very very good and has bought life to the two shows we’ve seen with her over the last couple of days 

Roy Perez as cruise director is a lot of fun and his energy and enthusiasm are infectious 

The crew are great - good service and a lot of fun to interact with 

No complaints here and looking forward to the next couple of weeks onboard 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

May 11 Chronicles 

Day 12 - 11 May Day at sea_print.pdf 1.57 MB · 1 download

Once again apologies for no detailed posts recently - please don’t take that as 

a) a sign of dissatisfaction

b) poor internet service

c) anything else negative 

Nothing could be further from the truth as we grind our way across the North Pacific en route to Dutch Harbor. The seas have quite a swell but I wouldn’t describe them as particularly rough although many are feeling the impact - we’re very lucky not to feel the impacts of the seas motion except needing to be careful when moving about the ship. I do think it’s fair to say the Muse does creak and groan a little more than other ships we’ve experienced but again it doesn’t bother me as I sleep like a log 

We’re enjoying the sea day activities and dining options and the entertainment where we have welcomed a new female lead vocalists, Sona Varpetyan, who is very very good and has bought life to the two shows we’ve seen with her over the last couple of days 

Roy Perez as cruise director is a lot of fun and his energy and enthusiasm are infectious 

The crew are great - good service and a lot of fun to interact with 

No complaints here and looking forward to the next couple of weeks onboard 

Your posts are a breath of fresh air.

• Thanks 1

We’re approaching land after several days at sea (which we loved by the way) 

Today we’ll spend a few hours in Dutch Harbor where we are warned there is limited infrastructure to cater for tourists but of course most are excited to visit this remote port on the Aleutian chain 

Day 13 Chronicles - at sea 

Day 13 - 12 May Day at sea_print 2.pdf

Day 14 Chronicles - Dutch Harbor

Day 14 - 13 May Dutch Harbor.pdf

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Hope it snows for you. The hotel has a lovely, open log fire.

Just light flurries from time to time - nothings settling on the ground

Glad to have visited and can imagine how impressive it would be on a sunny day 

4 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Just light flurries from time to time - nothings settling on the ground

Glad to have visited and can imagine how impressive it would be on a sunny day 

I have to ask, when was the last time you actually saw snow flurries???? 🙂🙂

• Haha 1