Onboard credit for buying drinks

I’d like to buy some onboard credit for buying drinks. I’m wondering if it would be a frictionless process where they just swipe your medallion and don’t give a bill? Is shipboard credit nonrefundable?

Yes, it's frictionless, so to speak.

When getting a drink, there's no paper for signatures as your Medallion (along with your bartender) records it to your account.  Thereafter you'll see the drink (+gratuity) posted to your folio. 

Anyway, in the event you have a credit card with the ship, then you'll be billed at the end of your cruise.

If you provide funds up front, yes, that's refundable to you, but make sure you get any money back by the end of the last day or else you'll get sent to guest services when you are trying to disembark the ship and go home.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I’d like to buy some onboard credit for buying drinks. I’m wondering if it would be a frictionless process where they just swipe your medallion and don’t give a bill? Is shipboard credit nonrefundable?

have you considered the PLUS package?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

No thanks, i don’t need the internet and drink mainly non alcoholic drinks. Last cruise i only had 2 mocktails and one specialty coffee so i figure if i get 67 onboard credit, that will be a splurge. I just didn’t like dealing with the bill last time so thats great if you just need to swipe.

Edited by latebuyer
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

that just creates 2 additional unnecessary steps. First, adding the money, and then getting the leftover balance back.

Just add a credit card to your folio and the drinks will get charged to it. Easy. 

It's the same bill, but in the first case you are prepaying it and then trying to get the money back. In the latter case, your credit card gets billed automatically at the end of the cruise.

You will check your folio for any wrong charges daily in any case.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

Posted (edited)

Its nice to pay in advance and not have a credit card hangover when i get back. I intend to spend it now i know i can easily see balance. 67 canadian is not a lot. Classic soda package is 167 so there isa saving though i know princess cruisers are big on packages. I intend to buy some cans of pop too in advance i mean.

Edited by latebuyer

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I intend to spend it now i know i can easily see balance. 67 canadian is not a lot.

you can see the balance in any case any time on the app, and you can just stop when you get to 67 CAD. But to each his own. If you want to add two extra steps to the process - you are welcome to do so.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

I'm contemplating getting the shore credit a couple of months before cruise. By the time of the cruise, the drinks will seem free. That's the idea. Buying at the time is not the same.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just to add, part of monetary happiness theory is that if you pay in advance you are going to enjoy the money/service more. That's what is so great about cruises. You pay in advance.

Edited by latebuyer

Is there a fridge in the room where I can put cans of pop? I appreciate peoples responses. I know some can't understand those of us who don't get packages.

4 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Is there a fridge in the room where I can put cans of pop? I appreciate peoples responses. I know some can't understand those of us who don't get packages.

Yes there is a fridge.  We recently cruised without a package.  We had $1150. In shipboard credit.  We are not really drinkers, but a few evenings we did have a glass of wine.  In a blink of an eye ourshipboard credit was gone.  Hubby paid for an excursion and got the thermal spa.  With all the daily gratuities which I believe are now $16. Each daily.  Plus I needed to see doc onboard.  You can imagine.  Another warning is we constantly checked the folio at the kiosk and found drinks we never ordered.  So be sure to check regularly..  

• Like 1

Thank you! Good idea to check. Yes i'm thinking i can only get maybe 2 frozen alcoholic drinks, 1 mocktail and a specialty coffee. I think it may come to around 50US but that's probably low balling it.

7 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Thank you! Good idea to check. Yes i'm thinking i can only get maybe 2 frozen alcoholic drinks, 1 mocktail and a specialty coffee. I think it may come to around 50US but that's probably low balling it.

to help you with your calculations

IMG_1130.jpeg.46190bb2a42a838cbc1e75455d9fe968.jpeg

2024 Princess Crooners menu.jpeg

Princess 2023 coffee menu.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

Its nice to pay in advance and not have a credit card hangover when i get back. I intend to spend it now i know i can easily see balance. 67 canadian is not a lot. Classic soda package is 167 so there isa saving though i know princess cruisers are big on packages. I intend to buy some cans of pop too in advance i mean.

You can carry on a 12 pack of soda/pop.

45 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

In addition to the fridge in your room, if you like your drinks on ice, you can request ice by asking your room steward. I  think it is also an option to request it on the app.

Thanks everyone. The daiquiri and mojito are cheap by canadian standards. Can you bring bottled water on board as well? I’m thinking it may be good for port days.

8 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Thats ok, i should bring my refillable water bottle. Can you get ice at the buffet as well?

1 minute ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

yes, ice and free water are available at the buffet.

Ice is also available from your cabin steward upon request. And the tap water from the faucet in your cabin is as good as some bottled water.