Princess Sanctuary Experience vs Suites on Other Cruise Lines

Posted (edited)

We are new to Princess but when we saw the Sun Princess added Park19 aimed at young families like ours (we have a 9 and 7 year old), we booked a Vista Suite (formerly Penthouse Suite) on the Sun Princess over Thanksgiving later this year. 

The ship looks beautiful and I'm sure we'll have an amazing time, but as I learn more about the ship and Princess, the more I realize the suites really don't offer much benefit on Princess.

Other than having a larger room (which we don't really care about), it doesn't seem like being in a suite offers any benefits at all that I can see vs a mini-suite or even a balcony when Sanctuary privileges.

For a room that cost us over $20k for a 7-day sailing, I'm very surprised more isn't offered on what's supposed to be a premium cruise line. 

There's a lot of things I've noticed that are missing vs Celebrity's Retreat, MSC's Yacht Club, and NCL's Haven, including: 

- Butler service

- Reserved seating in the main theater

- Fully stocked mini fridge (on MSC)

- Priority embarkation at tender ports (only debarkation)

- Private Concierge desk in the suite area

- Truly unlimited drinks (though I'm sure 15/day will be enough) 

In addition to the above, with more than 200 staterooms having Sanctuary access, the amenities will be much more crowded than they are on these other cruise lines.

I have no doubt we will have a great time but with everybody in the Sanctuary getting access to the limited benefits available, I would say next time we'll just save $10k+ and get a mini-suite vs paying a premium to be in a suite. 

Am I missing anything? Or are suites simply not a real priority for Princess?

Edited by FamilyAtSea.travel
  • Like 1

The new Sun class of ships is Princess's first foray into the ship within a ship setup.  It is a significant change and it is very much a work in progress.  We are frequent Princess cruisers booking mini-suites.  We had tried Princess suites for a period that ended about 10 years ago when we decided that while the cabins were nice, the perks didn't amount to much.  Before covid we took our first MSC Yacht Club cruise (Meraviglia) and took our second last December (Seascape). 

When Princess started touting the new perks offered with the Signature Suites on the new Sun Princess - dedicated dining room with a unique menu, dedicated sun deck, dedicated lounge - in January we decided to make a reservation just to check it out. Since then Princess has  diminished the perks and raised the prices.  No longer is there a dedicated Sun Deck; suite passengers will share the Sanctuary area (now includes the Sun Deck) with many more passengers.  Whether the restaurant will still have unique menus has not been mentioned and most likely some of the passengers in the current reserve restaurant will be accommodated in the suite restaurant (where else could they go?).  But the lounge is still just for suite passengers.  If you want an earful about the current changes check out
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3004897-sanctuary-collection-on-sun-princess/

Now for some of what is still missing comparing the Princess ship within a ship offering to the MSC Yacht Club:

• Cabins are not located in a single area
  • No personalized check-in and boarding
  • No butlers
  • No unlimited alcohol (new bookings have the premier package)
  • The Sun deck does not include a grill (it does have a bar) offering breakfast and lunch.

Specifically to your questions and concerns about the Sanctuary, it has been reported here that the "only guests over 16" Sanctuary rule on all other Princess ships is still the rule on the Sun.  The obvious question of what about kids traveling in suites is answered exactly like that.

Suites

• Do get priority disembarkation when tendering.
  • There is a concierge (I don't know the hours) in the Suites Lounge.
  • Priority theater seating now is a perk of the premier package so I would think that since that package is now included (assuming you just made the reservations or booked with the premier package earlier).
  • The premier package also includes unlimited Wi-Fi and daily crew appreciation gratuities.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, capriccio said:

The new Sun class of ships is Princess's first foray into the ship within a ship setup.  It is a significant change and it is very much a work in progress.  We are frequent Princess cruisers booking mini-suites.  We had tried Princess suites for a period that ended about 10 years ago when we decided that while the cabins were nice, the perks didn't amount to much.  Before covid we took our first MSC Yacht Club cruise (Meraviglia) and took our second last December (Seascape). 

When Princess started touting the new perks offered with the Signature Suites on the new Sun Princess - dedicated dining room with a unique menu, dedicated sun deck, dedicated lounge - in January we decided to make a reservation just to check it out. Since then Princess has  diminished the perks and raised the prices.  No longer is there a dedicated Sun Deck; suite passengers will share the Sanctuary area (now includes the Sun Deck) with many more passengers.  Whether the restaurant will still have unique menus has not been mentioned and most likely some of the passengers in the current reserve restaurant will be accommodated in the suite restaurant (where else could they go?).  But the lounge is still just for suite passengers.  If you want an earful about the current changes check out
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3004897-sanctuary-collection-on-sun-princess/

Now for some of what is still missing comparing the Princess ship within a ship offering to the MSC Yacht Club:

• Cabins are not located in a single area
  • No personalized check-in and boarding
  • No butlers
  • No unlimited alcohol (new bookings have the premier package)
  • The Sun deck does not include a grill (it does have a bar) offering breakfast and lunch.

Specifically to your questions and concerns about the Sanctuary, it has been reported here that the "only guests over 16" Sanctuary rule on all other Princess ships is still the rule on the Sun.  The obvious question of what about kids traveling in suites is answered exactly like that.

Suites

• Do get priority disembarkation when tendering.
  • There is a concierge (I don't know the hours) in the Suites Lounge.
  • Priority theater seating now is a perk of the premier package so I would think that since that package is now included (assuming you just made the reservations or booked with the premier package earlier).
  • The premier package also includes unlimited Wi-Fi and daily crew appreciation gratuities.

This is extremely helpful, thank you. 

We just booked the room on Wednesday so it includes Premier (but at the price, it should).

We know our young kids won't be able to use the Sanctuary, but we have a pool at home so we rarely spend any time at the pools onboard anyways so that's not a big deal. I also know that most on Princess will not appreciate us having young kids onboard (no matter how well behaved they may be), but with the addition of Park 19, Princess is clearly trying to attract more families like us. 

I suspect we will not see the value in paying for a suite on Princess again but it's good to know there is an exclusive lounge on this ship. 

Thank you again for the helpful reply!

I'm glad I could help.  I wouldn't worry too much about other passengers not appreciating your kids being on board, especially since I know they are well traveled from reading your most recent 'live from' on the MSC board. 

Given the week you are cruising there will be lots of kids on board and yours are definitely the age that could really enjoy the kids club which gets very high marks on all their ships.  Last summer we did a family cruise (with our 2 kids plus spouses and 2 granddaughters ages 8 1/2 and almost 4) and we all had a great time.  The older grandchild, who was 3 1/2 on her previous cruise, decided to try the kids club for a few hours each day after meeting another girl at the pool and had a great time.  The youngest wasn't interested in it.

Given that none of Park 19 is open to the public yet, I would caution (because I worry about such things) to keep an eye on this board for reviews and, most importantly, any required age/height minimums that have not been announced yet.

Having enjoyed your MSC 'live froms' I hope you do one on this cruise.  Our cruise isn't until next January and I'll be interested to see if Princess has worked out some of their initial problems with this new ship class by that time.  I certainly hope so for your sake and ours!

2 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I'm glad I could help.  I wouldn't worry too much about other passengers not appreciating your kids being on board, especially since I know they are well traveled from reading your most recent 'live from' on the MSC board. 

Given the week you are cruising there will be lots of kids on board and yours are definitely the age that could really enjoy the kids club which gets very high marks on all their ships.  Last summer we did a family cruise (with our 2 kids plus spouses and 2 granddaughters ages 8 1/2 and almost 4) and we all had a great time.  The older grandchild, who was 3 1/2 on her previous cruise, decided to try the kids club for a few hours each day after meeting another girl at the pool and had a great time.  The youngest wasn't interested in it.

Given that none of Park 19 is open to the public yet, I would caution (because I worry about such things) to keep an eye on this board for reviews and, most importantly, any required age/height minimums that have not been announced yet.

Having enjoyed your MSC 'live froms' I hope you do one on this cruise.  Our cruise isn't until next January and I'll be interested to see if Princess has worked out some of their initial problems with this new ship class by that time.  I certainly hope so for your sake and ours!

I'm glad my live from the YC was helpful, I'm sure I'll do one from the Sun Princess as well! 

Our kids always love the kids clubs so I have no doubt they will on Princess as well. The only part that's tough for them is saying goodbye to their new friends at the end of the cruise. 

---

We have some great cruises coming up so hopefully I'll find the time to do one on each: 

- Celebrity Equinox Med cruise Retreat on June 4th 

- NCL Encore Alaskan cruise on July 21 (we didn't book Haven on that one but we have a high bid so hopefully we get lucky) 

- This Sun Princess cruise over Thanksgiving

- Icon over Christmas (no suite on that... Will bid on an upgrade but guessing we won't get one) 

The only sailing we have booked for next year so far is on MSC World America in the YC, really looking forward to that one. 

---

I truly appreciate you helping me better understand what's included with the suites on the Sun Princess... Thank you again!

FYI - you'll also have the actual Suite perks: specialty dining comped on embarkation evening, minibar set-up, laundry, etc.   Those aren't going away..  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

FYI - you'll also have the actual Suite perks: specialty dining comped on embarkation evening, minibar set-up, laundry, etc.   Those aren't going away..  

Thanks!

Between the first day and the two specialty dining meals included with Premier, We would be giving up three meals in the suite dining room... Would you say It is worth giving up three out of the seven?

Just now, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

Thanks!

Between the first day and the two specialty dining meals included with Premier, We would be giving up three meals in the suite dining room... Would you say It is worth giving up three out of the seven?

🤷🏻‍♀️

Worth is in the eye of the beholder.

Personally, I'd find it worth it as the MDR, even the special dining for suites/ Reserve, doesn't wow me, on any line. While the dedicated Sanctuary restaurants on Sun will be a welcome change from suite/Reserve dining simply being a separate portion of the MDR, I still don't expect much to be a wow or big step up over the main dining.. Although I do enjoy the Yacht Club restaurant the most out of Princess, Celebrity, RCCL and MSc suite experiences... And even then, we do our Diamond dinner and usually at least one or two other specialty dinners on week long sailings, so three included would be a bonus to us..   YMMV.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

Thanks!

Of course! The specialty dining rooms will not be anywhere near as large as the MDR so you’ll still be getting an exclusive experience. The food will likely be better as well given that everyone else on the ship is paying a significant upcharge. “Giving up” is how you would describe missing specialty dining for a more ordinary meal in the reserve dining room.  In fact, one of my favorite hacks when suites are overpriced on a particular sailing is to schedule every meal in the specialty restaurants.

Edited by vjmatty
Typo