Flying to Vancouver on day of cruise departure

As a Vancouver resident I urge anyone departing on a cruise to arrive at least one day before sailing.

Last summer I was at YVR working next to the meeting point for passengers with pre arranged bus and luggage transfers to the cruise terminal.At about 2:30 pm a group of about 10 people including children, approached the counter just as they were closing for the day.

They were told that there was no way to get to the terminal in time to board the ship.

From what I could tell they had taken connecting flights from the Southern US, both of which were delayed.

On arrival in Vancouver you could be delayed in Customs line ups for an hour as there are many flights arriving from Asia and Europe in addition to the US.

Traffic is also very heavy in Vancouver during the summer. 
I know that hotels in Vancouver are very expensive but it would be better to stay in the suburbs and spend $100 on a taxi or Uber than miss your cruise.

There are no direct flights from YVR to any airports in Alaska. You would have to fly or bus to Seattle in order to catch up with your ship. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We live in the Seattle area, and even though we can take a 3 hour long Amtrak ride to Vancouver the morning of a cruise, we still arrive the day before just to avoid any delays/transportation problems.  In fact, that is what we are doing this week - taking Amtrak this Friday morning to catch a cruise Saturday afternoon.  And even though we are spending $250 for a hotel out in the suburbs, it is really is worth the peace of mind.

I do check-in at Pier 91 in Seattle, and the stress level of passengers who arrive late, but still are able to board is thru the roof.  They are stressed, anxious, and snapping at each other.  It isn't a great start to a once in a lifetime adventure.

Do listen to @eetonaee, and arrive the day before.  

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

We are boarding the Radiance in September out of Vancouver and booked our flight via the cruise line Air2Sea program. Our flight is scheduled to leave Indiana early in the morning of the cruise (I know, we probably should have flown in the day before). However, since our ship's next stop is at Victoria, I figure, even if we miss boarding in Vancouver, we could still go on ourselves to Victoria and board the ship the next day. Since our flights were booked through the cruise line (we bought the ship's insurance too), I also understand that they would help us out if this does happen. Is this doable? Hoping flights go as planned, of course! Thanks!

On 5/5/2024 at 10:04 PM, eetonaee said:

As a Vancouver resident I urge anyone departing on a cruise to arrive at least one day before sailing.

As someone who flies two or three times a week, I urge anyone departing on a cruise to arrive at least one day before sailing. Air travel is incredibly unreliable these days. 

I feel like Fed Ex-ing myself some days "when I absolutely, positively have to be there overnight".

9 hours ago, SilkySal said:

We are boarding the Radiance in September out of Vancouver and booked our flight via the cruise line Air2Sea program. Our flight is scheduled to leave Indiana early in the morning of the cruise (I know, we probably should have flown in the day before). However, since our ship's next stop is at Victoria, I figure, even if we miss boarding in Vancouver, we could still go on ourselves to Victoria and board the ship the next day. Since our flights were booked through the cruise line (we bought the ship's insurance too), I also understand that they would help us out if this does happen. Is this doable? Hoping flights go as planned, of course! Thanks!

Doable, but not ideal. The cruise line will work hard to make it happen the right way, but I always book my own flights.

• Like 1

We did the same day thing many years ago, but we were flying in from Portland and that was before flying turned into such a mess.  Even with an arrival before noon, it seems like we boarded just in time for muster drill -- customs at YVR was a sea of people and then there was some general hangup with US customs at the pier that was delaying everyone.

Today, I wouldn't do it. *Maybe* from Seattle booked on the earliest flight possible for a fairly inexpensive cruise that wouldn't be a huge financial loss to miss, I'd consider it. I'd definitely be looking at how many recovery flights were available if something went wrong. No connecting flights.

I was shocked that Princess even offered options for me on cruise morning. The one they offered involved a 55-minute connection in Denver.  No way.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, SilkySal said:

I am not certain but I don't think the port in Victoria is equipped with with the resources needed for you to go through the USA immigration process that one goes through when boarding in Vancouver. If this is the case you may be denied boarding.

It may be worth your while checking this out with the cruise line and/or USA customs and immigration (there may be an Alaska port that you can do USA immigration).

@Heidi13 would you have any knowledge on this one? please and thank you.

Cheers, h.

Edited by middlehaitch

5 hours ago, middlehaitch said:

I am not certain but I don't think the port in Victoria is equipped with with the resources needed for you to go through the USA immigration process that one goes through when boarding in Vancouver. If this is the case you may be denied boarding.

It may be worth your while checking this out with the cruise line and/or USA customs and immigration (there may be an Alaska port that you can do USA immigration).

Cheers, h.

If we miss the ship in Vancouver, I would hope that the cruise line would still fly us into Vancouver to get through customs there and then ferry us over to Victoria for an overnight to board the ship the next morning. Our cruise will be heading down the CA coastline to LA, then on through the Panama Canal to Tampa. At least, those are my thoughts. Would this be possible?

If for some reason you don't want to, or are unable to change your flight to arrive the day before your Vancouver, BC sailing, I would highly recommend having the phone number for Royal's Emergency Travel Team handy.  You should be able to find this phone number in your cruise documents.  Googling it will also bring up the phone number.  These folks are in contact with your embarkation pier staff, and can tell you if 'downlining' (joining the ship at a different port) is allowed.

Like everyone else, I would suggest that you arrive the day before your cruise if at all possible.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, middlehaitch said:

Cheers, h.

Great question.

Don't know the itinerary; but, if it visits Victoria the day after departing Vancouver, they will bypass the US Border services at Canada Place. If they went through US Border services in Vancouver, they would have to complete Canadian Border Services the following day in Victoria.

If they miss the ship, they shouldn't have any problems embarking at Ogden Point the following day.

1 hour ago, SilkySal said:

If we miss the ship in Vancouver, I would hope that the cruise line would still fly us into Vancouver to get through customs there and then ferry us over to Victoria for an overnight to board the ship the next morning. Our cruise will be heading down the CA coastline to LA, then on through the Panama Canal to Tampa. At least, those are my thoughts. Would this be possible?

Once you arrive at VYR you will clear Canadian Border Services and if you have transfers, the cruise line will bus you down to Canada Place for embarkation.

If you embark as planned at Canada Place, you will not clear US Border Services at Canada Place, as the next port is Victoria.

If you miss the ship, the cruise line should get you across to Victoria by ferry/float plane/helicopter and you would board at Ogden Point. While US Border Service operate at the downtown ferry terminals, I doubt they will process pax at Ogden Point, so you will re-enter the US at the first American port.

Ferry_Watcher provided an excellent suggestion of having Royal's emergency number available.

• Like 1

Excellent advice eetonaee.  I would also add to those disembarking in Vancouver, do not book a flight before noon.  Yes on paper it would appear that you could make an earlier flight, but all the stars need to be aligned to do it and why get stressed out on your last day aboard.

Thanks for the great advice! I also reached out on that other site to a Vancouver resident going on my cruise and he quoted similar recommendations. Even if we miss the ship, I now feel confident that we'll be able to get to Victoria easily to catch the ship there! Yes, we pre-purchased all of our transfers. Thanks everybody!

• Like 1

@SilkySal You might consider choosing/upgrading your seats on your inbound flight to be as far forward as possible-- getting a little ahead for the YVR immigration/customs queue can't hurt. Same thing if you have a tight connection anywhere  - reduce the risk of a missed connection since you have zero time to make it up. And do carry-on only if possible (a big ask!).   Keep 1-2 days of essentials with you in your carry-on in case your bags miss the connection. (Obviously keep critical items like meds, credit cards, passports, etc on your person for the entire process).  Pretend your checked bag never makes the cruise and pack your carry-on accordingly.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SilkySal said:

Our cruise will be heading down the CA coastline to LA, then on through the Panama Canal to Tampa.

Now that sounds like a fabulous cruise. It will be interesting to see if you actually stop at Santa Barbara. They've been having "local hostility" to cruise ships lately.

If I didn't already have a cruise scheduled in Oct I'd hop on in LA. I love Panama Canal cruises. If you've never read The Path between the Seas by David McCullough, do read it. I finished the book on board a Princess cruise two days before we entered the canal.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Need-a-vacation said:

@SilkySal You might consider choosing/upgrading your seats on your inbound flight to be as far forward as possible-- getting a little ahead for the YVR immigration/customs queue can't hurt. Same thing if you have a tight connection anywhere  - reduce the risk of a missed connection since you have zero time to make it up. And do carry-on only if possible (a big ask!).   Keep 1-2 days of essentials with you in your carry-on in case your bags miss the connection. (Obviously keep critical items like meds, credit cards, passports, etc on your person for the entire process).  Pretend your checked bag never makes the cruise and pack your carry-on accordingly.

Great advice! Our Delta flights are Comfort Plus seats, so are towards the front on both legs. I have a wheelchair ordered but hope they will allow me to walk off the plane with my cane and meet the wheelchair either on the gangway or in the terminal. Yes, our meds and essentials will be in my carry-on but, since our cruise will encompass 24 nights, we will both have one piece of checked luggage. DH will have a carry-on as well, so will put at least one change of clothes each in there. If our luggage doesn't make it to Vancouver, I guess I will need to do a lot of shopping! Wonder if Amazon delivers to the ship! LOL! Thanks again!

15 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

f our luggage doesn't make it to Vancouver, I guess I will need to do a lot of shopping! Wonder if Amazon delivers to the ship!

Good thing about your itinerary is there should be lots of ports where it's possible to reunite with luggage or do some light shopping for essentials. For me, the critical things would be stuff I can't easily buy in the ship's shops or even in port -- like underwear or glasses!  I can stand a few days in sweatpants and tees and hoodies , but I'm probably gonna be unhappy if I'm trying to wash scivvies in the sink every night.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, SilkySal said:

Enjoy that San Pedro to Tampa. We did that one in Oct 2022 onboard Serenade and loved it.

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 2