Celebrity Reflection for teens and 18 year olds

We have been cruising NCL the past 19 years. This time for last minute plans Celebrity Reflection was one of the only cruise that fit the week we could cruise. We have a 15 year old and I believe there is a teen hangout. Our daughter is 18 and we were wondering if there are specific meet ups or areas that 18-20 yo hang out? If anyone has any experience with this I would appreciate it so when we board she can have some idea how to meet some young adults onboard.

• 4 weeks later...

That is what we were wondering.  Our grandtwins graduated and are 19 (will be 20 in December) and want to take them on a cruise.  Maybe it is better to wait until they are 21 and could have more fun?

Posted (edited)

It would not be my first choice for your teenagers ,but if it is only for a few nights they should be able to enjoy themselves on the Reflection.

Some of the live music is quite good , If they like to dance the silent disco can be fun.

The pool contests /  activities are very lively and entertaining.

Hope it all goes well for you and your family for a great cruise 🛳️

Edited by horseymike

20 hours ago, kmparamore said:

That is what we were wondering.  Our grandtwins graduated and are 19 (will be 20 in December) and want to take them on a cruise.  Maybe it is better to wait until they are 21 and could have more fun?

Hi there

I am not sure, but I don't think there is anything that you can do on a cruise at 21 that you can't do at 19 or 20, except drink alcohol. If this is the "more fun" that you are talking about, they would be able to do that at most ports of call.

Mainly, I would suggest that Celebrity isn't set up or trying to appeal to a younger crowd. That is why many times there are few young people on board. That is why many people choose to sail with Celebrity as well as some other similar cruise lines. There are many other cruise lines that specifically try appeal to young people. If you want to take them on a cruise and you want them to have fun, consider looking at one of those cruise lines.

We went on Reflection in 2021 for a port heavy cruise of Italy, Greece and Turkey during school holidays with our sons who were 20, 16 and 11 at the time. They didn’t do any teen clubs. There were quite a few teenage/ young people on board. My sons loved it. It’s not as heavily populated with kids as RCI ships ( and I guess NCL) but I think there’ll be enough in school holidays for friends to be made if that’s what they’re looking to do. 

20 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi there

I am not sure, but I don't think there is anything that you can do on a cruise at 21 that you can't do at 19 or 20, except drink alcohol. If this is the "more fun" that you are talking about, they would be able to do that at most ports of call.

Mainly, I would suggest that Celebrity isn't set up or trying to appeal to a younger crowd. That is why many times there are few young people on board. That is why many people choose to sail with Celebrity as well as some other similar cruise lines. There are many other cruise lines that specifically try appeal to young people. If you want to take them on a cruise and you want them to have fun, consider looking at one of those cruise lines.

You are correct in the Celebrity isn’t geared towards the mid/late teens.  Though I think there is plenty for them to be involved in and enjoy with entertainment, pool, random activities.  Id of definitely taken my kids at that age.

Echoing what folks say about kids and teens not be a focus of Celebrity.

My feeling is teens will find their way while on board. Depending upon the time of year and the specific itinerary, there will a few to quite a few teens on board.  How do those folks meet up beyond the specific Celebrity programs (like Teen Club) is probably similar to how they do it at school or the mall or wherever younger folks hang out.  Since your kids have done other cruises, they're likely comfortable figuring that out on a ship in a brief period of time.  Simple stuff like hanging by the pool, basketball/pickleball courts, the silent disco, Abba sing-along, or other "open" activities likely give them a bunch of options.

• Like 1

whats the date and itin.?. that  might make a diff

and what are their interests?  music     gym, food...port activiyy

On 6/2/2024 at 2:51 PM, kmparamore said:

Yes..

So much depends on the date, the itinerary, and the length of the cruise.  School vacation time - we had over 400 kids on our March cruise on Reflection, many of them older teens sailing with their families.  Very well behaved but I can honestly say they looked bored as heck.

That said, so much also depends on your kids.  We sailed with my youngest from the time he turned 3.  As a teen he was more the quiet type - loaded some movies and games on his laptop, brought some books, etc..  We spent a lot of family time together which was nice, especially as a working parent.  Playing board games, going to shows, swimming, working out, etc..    Honestly would he have preferred a Royal ship? Definitely, and having sailed a couple of those as well he knew the difference.  But he says he always had a good time.

On 5/7/2024 at 12:16 AM, Missy0522 said:

We have been cruising NCL the past 19 years. This time for last minute plans Celebrity Reflection was one of the only cruise that fit the week we could cruise. We have a 15 year old and I believe there is a teen hangout. Our daughter is 18 and we were wondering if there are specific meet ups or areas that 18-20 yo hang out? If anyone has any experience with this I would appreciate it so when we board she can have some idea how to meet some young adults onboard.

Have you checked to see if there is anything on RCI that works with your schedule?  

Ok all good ideas, I know they usually meet in hot tub and basketball courts. I was just curious for Celebrity as this will be our daughter's first cruise over 18 which I believe is too old for the teen club.