The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday May 7th, 2024

Good morning all!

Oh my, we had a terrific hail storm yesterday afternoon along with thunder.  At least the hail was small (probably pea-size) but it lasted awhile and I'm almost scared to look out in the garden.  The Sweet Peas had just come up, and all the pots of annuals....most everything else is hardy enough.

Good selection of days.  I'll celebrate the Cosmopolitan and Sauvignon Blanc, and thank you Graham for the explanation of Cystinosis.  I hadn't heard of it before -- terrible disease.  I love the Lennon quote and was lucky enough to see the Beatles in 1965 in CA.  I think I'd like the drink, but pass on the red wine.  I'd like the meal too but would substitute something (asparagus?) for the broccoli.  Have never been to Japan.

Yesterday Amber's DH (my BFF's son) posted an update, and it sounded more hopeful. 🙂  Baby steps forward.  She's showing better movement on her left side, and was even able to get up and walk.  Her nausea and lightheadedness are much improved.  She'll have another surgery when they do replace the bone flap (when the swelling is done), so a lot still to overcome.  He didn't mention if she's still sleeping too much, but I'm thinking that must have improved too.  He and my BFF want to thank everyone again for all the prayers!

Jacqui @kazu Prayers that the tests don't show infection in the bone, and that these antibiotics help you soon!  

Debbie @dfish Let us know how your appointment goes this afternoon and if they schedule the nerve ablation.

Vanessa @JazzyV I'm so sorry about your BFF's broken ankle.  Good that he's gotten help with the lawn, I know it must be hard for him, since he's independent.  Happy heavenly birthday to your DM!

Lorraine @cruising sister It was good to hear from you but not to hear about your dear friend's grandsons 😞 So sad!   Prayers for her and the family. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

I would like to amend the "Today in History" portion to add this.

1824 -- Premier performance of Symphony #9 by Ludwig van Beethoven.

I'll bet that most Dailyites--even those who are not "into" Western Civilization art music--have some familiarity with parts of this monumental symphony.  Two themes, in particular,  made their way into popular culture.

• For U.S. based Boomers, in the 1960s when your parents turned on the "Huntley-Brinkley Report, you heard the opening theme from the second movement.
  • The "Ode to Joy" theme from the fourth movement has been used in numerous movies.  The first one that I recall was "A Clockwork Orange."

Non-musical, but appropriate, on December 16, 1970 (200th anniversary of Beethoven's birth) in the "Peanuts" comic strip, Snoopy quoted Beethoven's words from the "Ode to Joy" recitative:  Nicht diese Töne.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 7

Good afternoon, we’re back from the vet appointment. He got 2 injections and is supposed to get B-12 pills . He lost more weight since Friday, hopefully he will start to put on weight . They will follow up on Friday. We have an appointment for TT for a regular wellness visit.🤞🐾🙏

• Like 16
  • Thanks 8

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@kazu  Jacqui, I'm sorry the foot was too painful to allow you to sleep.  Don't worry about whining or complaining to us.  We are all interested in how you are doing.  I'm guessing you are looking for a new place to get a pedicure in the future.

thanks.  The foot nurse has told me my skin is too delicate and to come to her in the future,

to clarify, if it is a bone infection, they create sores outside,. It was the podiatrist who said it was burned and put me on the wrong path.  My doctor did not argue when I emphatically said I would not return to her and only deal with the foot nurse,

I guess we will find out soon enough,. Hope fully the antibiotics are not too late 🤞

• Like 13
  • Thanks 12

Kushiro was the first Japanese (and actual first after Dutch Harbor was cancelled) on Amsterdam's 2017 Grand Asia.  It is on Hokkaido, a small island in Northern Japan.  When I was there is was kind of a foggy day.  The port is at the mouth of a small river with an interesting bridge:

nusami.jpg

I did find one tall building, possibly the library, with a nice overview of the city:

kushiro.jpg

As usual there was a farewell greeting as we set sail:

sendoff.jpg

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, 

It's overcast but the sun is trying to shine through. We didn't get the hail that @Cruising-along mentioned yesterday but we did get some rain. Now there's no rain in the forecast until next week sometime. I can handle that! 

Today is a day to stay home. I have several things I'd like to get done - unless a good book calls my name! I've been working on some banking items. Next up is wrapping some birthday gifts for the "greats" so they are ready to go. Our youngest great granddaughter (Ivy) is 1 tomorrow and I'll focus on that as it's also DD DH's 84th birthday. Our great-niece is 7 on the 20th and then the other great granddaughter is 4 on June 15th. Wrapping will keep me busy. There's always clothes to put away and I'm going to start tackling packing up DD DH's clothes - a little at a time probably. 

All is good and I enjoy the time at home. Tomorrow is the pool for two water aerobics classes. The pool is my happy place. Also starting to get prepared for the first cruise. It's on Majestic Princess on June 2-9. This is one I'm going solo on which I'm looking forward to. 

Karen

• Like 24

5 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

It's overcast but the sun is trying to shine through. We didn't get the hail that @Cruising-along mentioned yesterday but we did get some rain. Now there's no rain in the forecast until next week sometime. I can handle that! 

The sun is shining brightly here now!  What crazy weather. Yes, I'm looking forward to some days with no rain too. 🙂 I'll be heading out soon to see if there was any damage in the garden from that hail.

That's so sweet that your great-granddaughter has the same birthday as your DD DH, a good thing to concentrate on for sure.  Our grands have birthdays coming up this month and next also.

Caron @Cruisercl We got "your" cabin!  Just got word today.  Thanks again for giving us the tour 🙂  

• Like 15

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good afternoon, we’re back from the vet appointment. He got 2 injections and is supposed to get B-12 pills . He lost more weight since Friday, hopefully he will start to put on weight . They will follow up on Friday. We have an appointment for TT for a regular wellness visit.🤞🐾🙏

Hugs and prayers for you and Houdini 🙏🐈🐾

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, quilty964 said:

…..

@RMLincolnGood luck with prep today.  I'm on the 5 year schedule, and I'm hoping there are pills I can take next time. The drinks I've used are no fun😝

Blessings on your day!  Karen

Karen, I’ll be using the pills for the first time this time. Two sets of 12 pills followed by spaced pints of water… first set of pills this afternoon, 2nd set starting about 4am. Seems every time I go this there’s a new prep!  I’ll let you know….  m—

• Like 14

2 hours ago, XBGuy said:

I would like to amend the "Today in History" portion to add this.

1824 -- Premier performance of Symphony #9 by Ludwig van Beethoven.

It is now on the online version and will appear next year.

If anyone has anything they would like to add, just let me know.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

We are back from out trip to the PO and W-M.  Our passports are now in the hands of the PO, and the clerk said we should get the new ones in 4 to 6 weeks.

4 hours ago, quilty964 said:

Good morning, we're right in the middle of a thunderstorm!  Hoping it doesn't last 2 long...I'm having lunch with friends and need to stop at a Dr. office to pick up a prescription for my glasses.  They were going to mail it, but it hasn't come yet.  I just got an email that said my recent blood donation is going to a local hospital, that's always a good feeling! 😊

The drink sounds interesting, what's a MoonPie? 

The dinner sounds good.  I didn't read the recipes, but Aldi has an Everything Bagel seasoning mix.  It's good! 

Thanks for the rest of the daily info!  

@dfishI hope the RFA is scheduled quickly.

@kazuhoping your foot gets better quickly and there is no osteomyelitis.  

@cruising sisterSorry to hear about your DF's grandchildren. 

@RMLincolnGood luck with prep today.  I'm on the 5 year schedule, and I'm hoping there are pills I can take next time. The drinks I've used are no fun😝

Blessings on your day!  Karen

The nurse when I had my check-up said the liquid has been improved and isn't quite as nasty to drink.  Also, you don't need to drink as much.  She said it was once in the afternoon and once in the morning.  She didn't know about the pills, but the nurse practioner several years ago mentioned the pills.

2 hours ago, superoma said:

Some pictures of my early flowers, delphinium and bachelor buttons(I think). We are expecting thunderstorms tonight so who knows what they will look like tomorrow. Hoping the pics bring a little joy to those suffering.

In other news, my lab work came back with no concerns. However, I am being referred to a dermatologist to look at some interesting lesions we have discovered. 

IMG_0373.jpeg

IMG_0374.jpeg

IMG_0375.jpeg

Eva, I hope your pretty flowers survive the thunderstorms.  Good news about your lab work.

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Oh my, we had a terrific hail storm yesterday afternoon along with thunder.  At least the hail was small (probably pea-size) but it lasted awhile and I'm almost scared to look out in the garden.  The Sweet Peas had just come up, and all the pots of annuals....most everything else is hardy enough.

Good selection of days.  I'll celebrate the Cosmopolitan and Sauvignon Blanc, and thank you Graham for the explanation of Cystinosis.  I hadn't heard of it before -- terrible disease.  I love the Lennon quote and was lucky enough to see the Beatles in 1965 in CA.  I think I'd like the drink, but pass on the red wine.  I'd like the meal too but would substitute something (asparagus?) for the broccoli.  Have never been to Japan.

Yesterday Amber's DH (my BFF's son) posted an update, and it sounded more hopeful. 🙂  Baby steps forward.  She's showing better movement on her left side, and was even able to get up and walk.  Her nausea and lightheadedness are much improved.  She'll have another surgery when they do replace the bone flap (when the swelling is done), so a lot still to overcome.  He didn't mention if she's still sleeping too much, but I'm thinking that must have improved too.  He and my BFF want to thank everyone again for all the prayers!

Jacqui @kazu Prayers that the tests don't show infection in the bone, and that these antibiotics help you soon!  

Debbie @dfish Let us know how your appointment goes this afternoon and if they schedule the nerve ablation.

Vanessa @JazzyV I'm so sorry about your BFF's broken ankle.  Good that he's gotten help with the lawn, I know it must be hard for him, since he's independent.  Happy heavenly birthday to your DM!

Lorraine @cruising sister It was good to hear from you but not to hear about your dear friend's grandsons 😞 So sad!   Prayers for her and the family. 

Carolyn, thank you for sharing the news about Amber.  Even baby steps in improvement are good news.

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

I hope Houdini begins to gain weight.

2 hours ago, kazu said:

thanks.  The foot nurse has told me my skin is too delicate and to come to her in the future,

to clarify, if it is a bone infection, they create sores outside,. It was the podiatrist who said it was burned and put me on the wrong path.  My doctor did not argue when I emphatically said I would not return to her and only deal with the foot nurse,

I guess we will find out soon enough,. Hope fully the antibiotics are not too late 🤞

Jacqui, I hope the antibiotics are working.  I don't blame you for not wanting to se the podiatrist again.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

Today is a day to stay home. I have several things I'd like to get done - unless a good book calls my name! I've been working on some banking items. Next up is wrapping some birthday gifts for the "greats" so they are ready to go. Our youngest great granddaughter (Ivy) is 1 tomorrow and I'll focus on that as it's also DD DH's 84th birthday. Our great-niece is 7 on the 20th and then the other great granddaughter is 4 on June 15th. Wrapping will keep me busy. There's always clothes to put away and I'm going to start tackling packing up DD DH's clothes - a little at a time probably. 

All is good and I enjoy the time at home. Tomorrow is the pool for two water aerobics classes. The pool is my happy place. Also starting to get prepared for the first cruise. It's on Majestic Princess on June 2-9. This is one I'm going solo on which I'm looking forward to. 

Karen

Happy 1st birthday wishes to your DGD Ivy and 84th birthday in heaven to your 

DDDH.

Happy-1st-Birthday-GIF-50.gif

happy-birthday-in-heaven-stairway-and-dove-q49wkr4l878huvmr.gif

• Like 11

I wasn't aware of cystinosis but after reading about it I'm not sure that I'm much more aware than I was before.

I would like the menu suggestion more with different seasonings. No on the Alabama Slammer and also no on the Cosmoplitan, as I believe the day refers to the cocktail, not the magazine or Stalin's "rootless cosmopolitans."

The most expensive Finger Lakes Bordeaux blend that I can find is Damiani's 2014 Meritage, $90. "The current vintage of our flagship Meritage opens with notes of crushed black cherries and soft leather with hints of toffee and beef broth on the nose. The palate follows through with firm wood tannins and black fruits flavors of currant and licorice that finishes with a buttery plum-like tingle that dances on the tip of your tongue. Pair this wine with lean meats like filet mignon, bold blue cheeses, roasted eggplant, and caramel infused chocolates. Drink now - 2025 - 2028."

8 hours ago, cat shepard said:

though I usually prefer a lovely GSM blend

The wine I have open now, from Israel, is essentially a Rhone blend, but with Carignan instead of Grenache.

I woke almost three hours earlier than I wanted, so I'm not functioning very well. I took out the trash and recycling, had breakfast, and went back to bed, but didn't sleep again.

Screenshot2024-05-07at15-37-27TheLockhornsbyBunnyHoestandJohnReinerforMay072024GoComics_com.png.d85023ca8d6db20517778755220a77ce.png

• Like 16
  • Haha 2

Back from Pain and Spine appointment.  They were all excited that I had such good results from the test injection, but can't schedule the nerve ablation yet because I have to do another test injection.  Of course, that will take a month to get into, then a week for the followup appoinment (cha ching), then a month to schedule the first side ablation and then another month for the second side.  By then there will be snow on the ground and no need to rush because I won't be hiking.  I asked how many tests we had to do.  I think the answer is as many as they can get me to pay for.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 11

@dfish, Debbie, I read what you wrote three times because I could not wrap my head around it. I don’t know what to say and I wish you had some recourse for this ridiculous  situation.  I am so sorry that you have to look at many more weeks of pain. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dfish said:

Back from Pain and Spine appointment.  They were all excited that I had such good results from the test injection, but can't schedule the nerve ablation yet because I have to do another test injection.  Of course, that will take a month to get into, then a week for the followup appoinment (cha ching), then a month to schedule the first side ablation and then another month for the second side.  By then there will be snow on the ground and no need to rush because I won't be hiking.  I asked how many tests we had to do.  I think the answer is as many as they can get me to pay for.  

Debbie, I totally agree with Terry @smitty34877.  I better not say more about the clinic dragging out the time so they can get more money, or I might wind up in CC jail.  😁

Lenda

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Warmer and windy this afternoon and there is a fire to the west of us near a trailer park. Fingers crossed the winds die down and they can get it under control quickly. The park is on pre-evacuation notice. No rain in the forecast until the weekend and then not a very good shot. The company driving in frim California may hit some traffic snarls.

Susan

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Caron @Cruisercl We got "your" cabin!  Just got word today.  Thanks again for giving us the tour 🙂  

Hey @Cruising-along Carolyn & Henry, that is great! It was a nice cabin home for the long cruise....my pleasure to offer a 'tour'. 😊 Wonderful that they let you know so far in advance.

Hi to everyone on the Daily!

Life has been pretty busy but have been following along as best I can. Things have started to settle down. I am good though. Starting to plan some vacations for this Summer, Fall and next Winter! My calendar is filling up...😎

It has been raining here almost daily for the last 4 weeks, we are soggy but no bad storms like some of the states. That is just awful that is has been almost a daily event for them.

@JazzyV Vanessa, happy for you that your surgery has helped your pain and you seem to be recovering well. But, OMG about your BFF breaking his leg! When does the tough times ever end for you guys? You have my prayers and thoughts for things to settle down for you and your BFF. You are now entitled to normal and a bit boring in your life, just sayin'.

@cruising sister Lorraine, that is so sad about your friend's family tragedies. Wow. Lots of prayers for them. I hope you are doing well. 

I enjoy the messages from all of the vacationers and the cruisers because I always want to be on a cruise!  Now that I have been home for ~ a month, I am ready to go again. I believe my addiction is getting worse! 😜 

My big news from the GVAUS cruise is that I went from a 2* Mariner at the start and am now 5 points away from a 4* Mariner. A person can move along status quickly on those big cruises because of days and $$ spent. LOL!!

Again, my thanks to all contributors here; loving the memes and the knowlegde shared.

Prayers for all of us and extra prayers for those struggling with things, no matter what it is.

Lets all celebrate the joys and good things in our lives; we all deserve the good.

Take good care everyone,

Caron

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cat shepard said:

I have been following the salvage operation of Baltimore’s FSK bridge. It is such a phenomenal undertaking. 

This pic shows the bridge’s pier that fell across the bow of the Dali. Once removed they will need to refloat the Dali and tow it to a pier. 

IMG_2845.thumb.jpeg.89ab0d41185671b2d70b63ba257ed27d.jpeg

They just announced that the final body was recovered.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 20

29 minutes ago, quilty964 said:

@RMLincolnI'd love to hear about the pills!

…..

I took the first batch of pills. They’re a bit large but not as big as my magnesium supplements, so I didn’t have trouble swallowing them. The directions say take them one by one with a sip of water, finishing all 12 and a pint (16 oz) water over 15-20 mins. Not bad. I’d have liked to have had a piece of toast to help push it all down but not allowed!  
Now on to doing the next pint of water an hour later. I’ll have one more to do. Then at 4am I’ll do this again for the second batch of 12 tablets. I’ll be glad to be done with this tomorrow!  m—

@dfish Debbie I hope you can get some advice from another party… maybe a PCP?  I hope you can get on a faster track. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

My big news from the GVAUS cruise is that I went from a 2* Mariner at the start and am now 5 points away from a 4* Mariner.

Wow!  That's great 🙂  Now book a short cruise, then a long one so you can really make use of that free laundry!  

Our PCC gave a little push to the department that gives out cabin assignments, otherwise we still wouldn't know.  Somehow it makes it all seem real now. 😉  

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, superoma said:

Some pictures of my early flowers, delphinium and bachelor buttons(I think). We are expecting thunderstorms tonight so who knows what they will look like tomorrow. Hoping the pics bring a little joy to those suffering.

In other news, my lab work came back with no concerns. However, I am being referred to a dermatologist to look at some interesting lesions we have discovered. 

IMG_0373.jpeg

IMG_0374.jpeg

IMG_0375.jpeg

Lovely flowers Eva! I think the first picture are Lupines and the second may be Dianthus. Not sure about the third...

• Like 7