Who are P&Os rivals?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

which lines do you consider to be a sideways move from P&O?

P&O, in my opinion, have gone downhill since covid. I would suggest that most other cruise lines are not a sideways move but forward of P&O in most respects. The only saving grace for P&O is the price as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Pine Man

5 minutes ago, Pine Man said:

P&O, in my opinion, have gone downhill since covid. I would suggest that most other cruise lines are not a sideways move but forward of P&O in most respects. The only saving grace for P&O is the price as far as I'm concerned.

MSC perhaps?

1 hour ago, Wivvy said:

WELL... I don't think it's quite a question of better or worse, I was just interested to see where people see P&O fitting into the cruising landscape but it is interesting to have a Quick Look at that list.

1 hour ago, Wivvy said:

IMO this makes no sense. Not sure how Marella is a recommended provider but the likes of Seabourn and Oceania are not. Let alone Noble Caledonia Ocean cruises who I have never heard of.

Posted (edited)

For ships that sail out of Southampton, for older "smaller "ships  number 1 would be  Cunard. Nearest in price (excluding grills) and size.

Although once prices hit £200pppn then you are close to Saga prices and there's no comparison,  Saga wins across the board.

Conversely at the cheapest end Ambassador is an alternative,  but don't expect much, you get what you don't pay for.

For the Family ships it will be MSC or TUI

Of course many cynics might say Butlins

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

For ships that sail out of Southampton, for older "smaller "ships  number 1 would be  Cunard. Nearest in price (excluding grills) and size.

Although once prices hit £200pppn then you are close to Saga prices and there's no comparison,  Saga wins across the board.

Conversely at the cheapest end Ambassador is an alternative,  but don't expect much, you get what you don't pay for.

Have you sailed on Ambassador?

A value for money comparison between P&O and Ambassador leaves P&O trailing IMHO. It obviously depends on what are your 'must haves' on  cruise. Big ships, queues, dodgy food and entertainment then P&O is probably a good fit. More traditional cruising style with good service, good food and sensible pricing (and no silly bells and whistles on the ships), then Ambassador might fit the bill.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pine Man said:

I have cruised with 3 cruise lines since COVID and they have all gone downhill to some extent. Think many cruise lines are cutting back or cutting corners to save money and boost profits to replace money lost during COVID.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

A value for money comparison between P&O and Ambassador leaves P&O trailing IMHO. It obviously depends on what are your 'must haves' on  cruise. Big ships, queues, dodgy food and entertainment then P&O is probably a good fit. More traditional cruising style with good service, good food and sensible pricing (and no silly bells and whistles on the ships), then Ambassador might fit the bill.

I don't think I'd call P&O's food dodgy? Never had anything we couldn't eat. Can be a little samey, especially the green beans, but not dodgy. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Neecy1 said:

I don't think I'd call P&O's food dodgy? Never had anything we couldn't eat. Can be a little samey, especially the green beans, but not dodgy. 

It varies on our last cruise on Arvia the theme for every meal seemed to broccoli.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

Once sailed on it predecessor CMV from Cape Town to London,  only ship going when we wanted to return.

It was fine, basic edible English food at dinner (buffet exactly same food as MDR), breakfast buffet like a premier inn,  OK service, good singers in entertainment all in house. Very basic, but very nice crowd of Aussies going home to see family,  so some fun evenings. Made up for lack of anything like luxury.

Good value for money,  if low price is your criteria. 

41 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Once sailed on it predecessor CMV from Cape Town to London,  only ship going when we wanted to return.

It was fine, basic edible English food at dinner (buffet exactly same food as MDR), breakfast buffet like a premier inn,  OK service, good singers in entertainment all in house. Very basic, but very nice crowd of Aussies going home to see family,  so some fun evenings. Made up for lack of anything like luxury.

Good value for money,  if low price is your criteria. 

Ambassador is somewhat of a phoenix risen from the CMV ashes (management personnel, admin personnel etc.) BUT they are a lot better for the onboard experience. We did a 42 days Amazon cruise on CMV - cheap as chips but there are only so many ways to put different sauces on (small) chicken drumsticks for example,

We have sailed Ambassador 4 times now and have found the onboard experience to be much superior to CMV. CMV's Magellan ship stank of exhaust fumes and had the permanent Magellan cough. No such problems on either Ambience or Ambition.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

IMO this makes no sense. Not sure how Marella is a recommended provider but the likes of Seabourn and Oceania are not. Let alone Noble Caledonia Ocean cruises who I have never heard of.

Noble Caledonia are very good but very much on the expensive side. They have only two small ships of their own, but do charter a few vessels as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neecy1 said:

Green Beans nightmares to come 😱

1 hour ago, SteveH2508 said:

Have you sailed P&O?

Not trying to take this off topic, but Ambassador's Ambition is going to be an Edinburgh Festival event space for a few days in Leith from 7th August.   Disembarking / embarking "normal" cruise passengers at either end of the visit.

Rivals to P&O.  Anything in reality.   Depends what matters most to a potential passenger ... destination, size of ship, embarkation port, cost, etc, etc ...

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I think QM/QV/QE are still a few steps away from P&O in terms of attracting a different audience, sticking with more traditional decor and experiences but generally speaking not a million miles away in cost as you say.

i have t been on QA yet but my impression is that it’s an attempt to attract the customers that like ‘old P&O’ as well as Celebrity and similar.

Again, I’ve not cruised on MSC but my impression is that they are in a similar market to Iona and Arvia.

8 minutes ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

Have you sailed P&O?

3 times (see my sig block). Most recent was Aurora to Canada in Sep 2022 (so post covid). My wife agrees with my analysis (so who am I to argue😉).

18 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

3 times (see my sig block). Most recent was Aurora to Canada in Sep 2022 (so post covid). My wife agrees with my analysis (so who am I to argue😉).

(I didn’t notice ‘expand signature’ so didn’t see P&O listed)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Any mass market cruise line sailing round trip out of the UK. Other than to cause controversy or to talk down P&O I don’t get the point of the thread 🤷‍♀️

Are you not interested in a comparison to enable you to decide if you would be interested in a different cruise line?