New England Seafood Boil

Has anyone done the "New England Seafood Boil"?  We are considering booking it on our October 5th cruise on the Volendam, but would really like some feedback from someone that has done it.  Thanks!

We did it on Rotterdam last Dec. DW loves seafood and it was good. They usually setup a section of the Lido in front of Canaletto and use the same kitchen. Kraft paper on tables, plastic bibs etc. Clam Chaaauuder, bucket of crab legs, clams, mussels, salmon, corn cob in a cream sauce. People were walking by, enjoying the aromas and trying to sit down. Thought it was part of the buffet. Already booked on our NS cruise out of Iceland in June.

• Like 1

Doubt they were New England crab legs (It was a snow crab cluster, claw and three other legs, say 1/2 lb) and, yes with a 3" x 3" x 3/4" filet of salmon. Maybe 1/2 doz clams and 1/2 doz mussels. 1/3 corn cob. I'm thinking some red potatoes as well.

11 minutes ago, CHOPPERTESTER said:

Doubt they were New England crab legs (It was a snow crab cluster, claw and three other legs, say 1/2 lb) and, yes with a 3" x 3" x 3/4" filet of salmon. Maybe 1/2 doz clams and 1/2 doz mussels. 1/3 corn cob. I'm thinking some red potatoes as well.

Were you able to reserve before sailing or did you have to wait and book the boil once on board?  Thanks.  

For our June cruise we just booked it on-line in the cruise planner. Unfortunately, specialty restaurant Mariner discounts do not apply. And you can't book it as part of a HIA restaurant.

Our New England seafood “boil” would surely include lobster!!  Not so much salmon from Alaska or farm raised from elsewhere. But am sure passengers enjoy the HAL version..Personally, I won’t get in line.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, roupa said:

Our New England seafood “boil” would surely include lobster!!  Not so much salmon from Alaska or farm raised from elsewhere. But am sure passengers enjoy the HAL version..Personally, I won’t get in line.

Why not Atlantic Salmon? Being from Atlantic Canada, that is our default when I hear "Salmon".

That being said, I personally don't think of Salmon (or any fish - except maybe Mackerel) when it comes to boiling, but there are people who like boiled Salmon.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It is offered on our August Volendam Boston to Montreal cruise. With a couple of late ports departures, I think we can do better on land with fresher seafood than what is probably frozen on the ship. The sample menu shows it includes Dungeness crab, lobster and salmon.

Here is what I Copied from the website for our cruise.

New England SEAFOOD BOIL

Lobster and Corn Chowder Parmesan Grissini Sticks Dungeness Crab, PEI Mussels, Boston Clams, Shrimp, Atlantic Salmon, 1/2 New England Main Lobster Bucket Old Bay Sauce, Whole Wheat Cream Cheese-Garlic Bread Twists Maine

Warm Blueberry Pie Whipped Cream, Vanilla Ice Crea

Edited by terrydtx
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, CHOPPERTESTER said:

People were walking by, enjoying the aromas and trying to sit down. Thought it was part of the buffet.

Are there individual tables for 2 available?  I wouldn’t want to share if the food is spread out on the Kraft paper like some seafood boils 

We had it on the Volendam.

The picture you see in their display is not how it looks when you get it.

The Lido was packed with people having it.  We passed.  One glance at the buckets told me what I needed to know.  Keep in mind, I’m from the Maritimes and a seafood boil is packed with seafood - not the portion on the ship.  Reports were mixed.  Some thought it was very good and others did not think it was worth the price.  YMMV

OP - if you are doing a Canada/New England tour, there are tons of places for fresh clams, mussels, lobsters, etc in ports which will be fresher and better than what can be offered in the seafood boil.  JMO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kazu said:

OP - if you are doing a Canada/New England tour, there are tons of places for fresh clams, mussels, lobsters, etc in ports which will be fresher and better than what can be offered in the seafood boil.  JMO

That is exactly what we plan to do for our Volendam cruise in August. The Seafood Boil menu says PEI Muscles, we have a stop there with time for dinner so we will wait and get them there.