Celebrity removes loungers from balcony?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I am on Eclipse in a Sky Suite all the way aft. I have 1 lounger, 2 chairs with foot stools and a large table.

IxGFQzbiIr5d.gif

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

We have 3 cruises booked Beyond, Summit and Ascent all in SV. We will be extremely disappointed, particularly on the E-Class ships if all we have is the “dolls house” furniture. I have written to the Executive Office to request a statement on what the official policy is but I am yet to receive a reply. We tried the IV but it just didn’t have any of the appeal of a traditional balcony and hence us booking SV cabins. We have cruised almost exclusively with Celebrity for more than 20 years and “rolled with the punches” as life onboard has changed (rarely for the better). However, all good things come to an end and removing balcony furniture and preventing us from relaxing in comfort will be the last straw and we will have to bank our memories and move on. 

• Like 2

On 5/23/2024 at 7:47 AM, C-Dragons said:

IMO, X is getting a lot of first time passengers crossing over from other cruise lines. The demographic is not necessarily the same which would explain the differences in behavior.

And yet, Royal Caribbean, which started the "kids sail free" promotion that ruined the line for me and which only seem to advertise to the young fun crowd, still have loungers on the balconies where they will fit. Our aft junior suite (not a full suite but about the size of an SS) had two loungers, a cocktail table, a tall table and four chairs just a week ago. 

On 5/23/2024 at 2:38 PM, AC Stew said:

Oh, and one last perceived act of lounger "irresponsibility": Perhaps there was a report of guests engaging in amorous activity on their lounger? Of course, that could happen, but I doubt that it would be in sufficient numbers to entail an epidemic of lounger abuse!

Long ago I woke up in the wee hours in Honolulu to the sight from my balcony of a couple making whoopie in the sand. Somebody who would do that (think of the burn) would not find the lack of a lounger to be much of a deterrent.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2024 at 2:13 PM, Definitas said:

We have 3 cruises booked Beyond, Summit and Ascent all in SV. We will be extremely disappointed, particularly on the E-Class ships if all we have is the “dolls house” furniture. I have written to the Executive Office to request a statement on what the official policy is but I am yet to receive a reply. We tried the IV but it just didn’t have any of the appeal of a traditional balcony and hence us booking SV cabins. We have cruised almost exclusively with Celebrity for more than 20 years and “rolled with the punches” as life onboard has changed (rarely for the better). However, all good things come to an end and removing balcony furniture and preventing us from relaxing in comfort will be the last straw and we will have to bank our memories and move on. 

We're just home from our Apex cruise in an SV, followed by a 14-night cruise on HAL's Rotterdam in an aft Vista Suite. We love aft cabins. We really enjoyed the Apex's SV cabin layout and decor, but our balcony had only two tiny (very uncomfortable) chairs, and a tiny little table. Your description of "doll house furniture" is correct. Our room steward said that no loungers were available. We enjoy spending time on our balcony, so this was really disappointing. If loungers aren't returned, we'll give up on the E-class. Our aft Vista Suite on the Rotterdam was wonderful--the room, as well as the balcony. Very large balcony with two loungers, two chairs, and a decent size table. We spent hours out there enjoying the view.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, MustBCruzn said:

We're just home from our Apex cruise in an SV, followed by a 14-night cruise on HAL's Rotterdam in an aft Vista Suite. We love aft cabins. We really enjoyed the Apex's SV cabin layout and decor, but our balcony had only two tiny (very uncomfortable) chairs, and a tiny little table. Your description of "doll house furniture" is correct. Our room steward said that no loungers were available. We enjoy spending time on our balcony, so this was really disappointing. If loungers aren't returned, we'll give up on the E-class. Our aft Vista Suite on the Rotterdam was wonderful--the room, as well as the balcony. Very large balcony with two loungers, two chairs, and a decent size table. We spent hours out there enjoying the view.

Your review just reinforces my own thoughts. Why on earth would anyone at Celebrity think that removing traditional balcony furniture would be a good idea. We have become disenchanted with many of the changes that Celebrity has introduced but destroying the enjoyment of full size verandas makes absolutely no sense and negates the reason for booking. I'm still awaiting a response from the Executive Office but, my current thoughts are that we will be requesting a refund of our deposit for 2026 on the grounds that we were miss sold an SV (because sun loungers and a full size table feature in the Celebrity promotional video). Sadly, we already have transatlantic flights booked for our 2025 cruises so it’s highly unlikely we will be able to change things for next year at this point. We dislike the hustle and bustle of the noisy pool area and have no wish to have to get up super early to be a chair hog in the solarium so the loss of our private space is a red flag for us. The big question will be, where will we go from here?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Definitas said:

Your review just reinforces my own thoughts. Why on earth would anyone at Celebrity think that removing traditional balcony furniture would be a good idea. We have become disenchanted with many of the changes that Celebrity has introduced but destroying the enjoyment of full size verandas makes absolutely no sense and negates the reason for booking. I'm still awaiting a response from the Executive Office but, my current thoughts are that we will be requesting a refund of our deposit for 2026 on the grounds that we were miss sold an SV (because sun loungers and a full size table feature in the Celebrity promotional video). Sadly, we already have transatlantic flights booked for our 2025 cruises so it’s highly unlikely we will be able to change things for next year at this point. We dislike the hustle and bustle of the noisy pool area and have no wish to have to get up super early to be a chair hog in the solarium so the loss of our private space is a red flag for us. The big question will be, where will we go from here?

I have both an SV and Sunset Suite booked on Apex for a b2b/ TA.  If there is not a lounger on both, I will take my concerns up the chain of command, as that is why I book and enjoy those cabins/suits.  Oceania makes one pay upfront for their excursions now9included), so that may be one and done for us next May.  I hear you loud and clear!  I hope you get a reply from the EO, but my phone call from a Celebrity rep was just about safety, so no loungers, period!  Please share get you get a response, as there has to be a way to resolve this situation.  I always have insurance, so if I do something stupid on my balcony, it should cover me.🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

We are booked on 13 Celebrity cruises all in Penthouse Suites and after talking with the executive office ALL loungers will be off ALL balconies going forward. The excuse was once again “safety”. My husband has a bad back and has a difficult time sitting in a chair therefore the balcony becomes useless for him without a lounger. The executive office didn’t care. We are paying for real estate which should include a lounger so we will be looking at other cruise lines now and canceling some of our Celebrity cruises. This is just absurd.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

They will remove all loungers, then charge for them. Soon they will be selling a premium access pass that includes a lounger for 99.99 a day. 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Haha 2

Got a phone call from a Customer Service Rep. She confirmed that all loungers will be removed from all stateroom categories on all Celebrity ships. She admitted that this plan includes all suites as well.

The reason as has been previously reported ... "Safety." I asked for an explanation of the specific safety concern and why it wasn't an issue if the same lounger is utilized on the public decks. I also questioned why this so-called safety action is not being taken on the sister lines.

I persisted for an explanation. "Is it a mechanical concern with the loungers?" "Were there injuries?" No, I was told it had something to do with inappropriate use. (Another poster was told the same.) Anyway, the rep said that she was unable to go into detail. 

I expressed my dismay about the decision in great detail. Noting of course, that she was only the messenger and not to take personal offense. It was an almost useless conversation since no specific explanation could be cited. She did however, state that they were following up on customer complaints and "compiling" information on the matter.

I kinda got the impression that we really need to keep sending those emails! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

On 5/30/2024 at 1:09 PM, critterchick said:

And yet, Royal Caribbean, which started the "kids sail free" promotion that ruined the line for me and which only seem to advertise to the young fun crowd, still have loungers on the balconies where they will fit. Our aft junior suite (not a full suite but about the size of an SS) had two loungers, a cocktail table, a tall table and four chairs just a week ago. 

Long ago I woke up in the wee hours in Honolulu to the sight from my balcony of a couple making whoopie in the sand. Somebody who would do that (think of the burn) would not find the lack of a lounger to be much of a deterrent.

You mention one of my biggest issues with this whole thing - was docked next to Icon and they had loungers on their balconies.  What the heck?!?!  Spare me the safety excuse.  They have way more kids and way more safety concerns than we would have.  That is not the reason.  If a couple here or there has "misbehaved" on their balcony, let's punish us all, right?!  And what is their excuse for footstools - which to me are even more important than loungers?  Safety again.  I don't like being patronized.  I don't know for sure what their real reason is, but it definitely is not safety.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

The more I read here and look at what ships have them and which ones don’t, I think they’re just phasing them out because they don’t want to maintain the expense.

For example, Infinity in March was loaded with loungers…we had two on our aqua aft balcony… but Infinity also hasn’t been stateside in years so it’s not on Miami’s radar right now. On the other hand, newest ship Ascent, when you look at the pictures and videos on cruisedeckplans, have no loungers on those huge sunset verandas except for maybe one cabin I saw had them on deck 9 or 10.

Everything in between seems to depend on which ship and which staff members you ask for a lounger. If it were truly a safety issue they’d all be gone immediately. This varied experience tells me it’s not an emergency, and safety is just the script given to customer service. 

• Like 5

As for cruise lines that have loungers . . . Every one other than X.  We are on our last X cruise this week.  X won’t care that we’re gone, but we’ll be a lot happier on other lines.  

• Like 4

Next time some executive says it’s for a safety reason just ask them why do they still sail ships after the Costa Concordia sinking. Surely more people died from that accident than any lounger accident. Using their logic all ships should be tied to the dock and never leave. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

If it’s a safety issue, are we to assume that every other cruise line is unsafe because they still have loungers?

Or does X cater to unruly passengers?  

Or does X prioritize the rights of unruly passengers over those who behave?

We now know the answers.  

Edited by ggo85
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

How about guessing what that mysterious "safety" issue could be? For example, somebody decided to sleep on the balcony overnight and, while going at night to the bathroom, got injured in the darkness? Or, could not recall (again overnight) how to open the balcony door from the outside and then had to use an impromptu "bathroom"?

Edited by voyager1964

6 hours ago, ggo85 said:

As for cruise lines that have loungers . . . Every one other than X.  We are on our last X cruise this week.  X won’t care that we’re gone, but we’ll be a lot happier on other lines.  

Not fleetwide. Check out this thread. #post 125.  Consistently Inconsistent. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3011040-georgia-peaches-heads-to-the-last-frontier…seeking-answers…will-she-love-alaska-live-may-31-june-7th…teetering-on-the-edge/?do=getNewComment

My husband and I will be on the President Cruise this month. My husband asked the executive office “phone caller” if he could have 3 minutes with Laura. The answer was “ we will have a “q and r” meeting. I doubt my lounge chair question will be asked and answered. We have booked a Cunard cruise for next year and will start canceling several Celebrity cruises.

• Like 1

It is always frustrating to hear what cutbacks and restrictions the management will come up with next, and above all with what reason. Unbelievable! With that we will finally have our last cruise with C in July. If I had known this earlier, I would have canceled this cruise too. And of course there is no reason to book another Future Cruise. 
It is inconceivable that we have booked an Edge Villa at horrendous prices and are not even supposed to be provided with a lounger. We cruise because we want to feel comfortable in a nice suite and relax on a veranda. But this is no longer possible with Celebrity. In fact, we could have booked a cheap inside cabin instead if the veranda is no longer usable. I am sure that the water in the veranda pool will also be emptied ....because it could be „Slippery when wet“. Safety first of course! 

• Like 2

According to people on the site that shall not be named, passengers are getting loungers when asking for them on Edge class ships. It’s become my go to question when I see them in balcony pictures.