Emerald Princess FLL to Quebec

The Fort Lauderdale to Quebec Emerald cruise starts June 19th and ends July 3 2024 - However, the ships docks in Quebec a day early, (6-2-24) can we disembark on July 2nd once the ship clears customs - or maybe disembark at 4AM on July 3rd?

I have a Quebec flight early morning on July 3rd...

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, johnatsis said:

The Fort Lauderdale to Quebec Emerald cruise starts June 19th and ends July 3 2024 - However, the ships docks in Quebec a day early, (6-2-24) can we disembark on July 2nd once the ship clears customs - or maybe disembark at 4AM on July 3rd?

I have a Quebec flight early morning on July 3rd...

Yes, you can. Our table mates left a day early and spent the night at a hotel in Quebec City so they could quickly catch a cab for an early morning flight on our official disembarkation day.  The said they had approval from Princess prior to sailing. 

Edited by startedwithamouse

I was on a similar cruise.

There is no customs/border patrol.  We walked off the ship on second day and walked on to a transfer bus.

Gangway is put up on first day and left up the entire time (about 36 hours) for you to come and go as you please.

You must be able to handle all of your luggage by yourself.  You can leave at any time.  

To be "safe", I guess you could pre-arrange departure with Customer Service/security.

Yes, most flights out of Quebec are early...early morning.

We had booked but changed it for a b2b Boston-Quebec-Boston in 2025. That gives us 2 + days using the ship as a hotel in Quebec

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I was on a similar cruise.

There is no customs/border patrol.  We walked off the ship on second day and walked on to a transfer bus.

Gangway is put up on first day and left up the entire time (about 36 hours) for you to come and go as you please.

You must be able to handle all of your luggage by yourself.  You can leave at any time.  

To be "safe", I guess you could pre-arrange departure with Customer Service/security.

Yes, most flights out of Quebec are early...early morning.

If you went from US port to Canadian port you would have to go through Canadian customs at some point. On Alaskan cruises from Vancouver you go through US customs in Vancouver. Is this something similar ?

3 minutes ago, memoak said:

If you went from US port to Canadian port you would have to go through Canadian customs at some point. On Alaskan cruises from Vancouver you go through US customs in Vancouver. Is this something similar ?

Seems to me that the ship will be cleared to enter Canada when it arrives in Sydney, NS.  After that, no immigration or customs requirements.  Passengers will be free to leave anytime they wish once in Quebec City; just need to clear this through Princess so they can keep track of who is (not) onboard when the cruise ends.

No comparison to US CBP pre-clearance in Vancouver when heading to Alaska (or some other US port).

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I believe we cleared customs on the way up.  St. John or Halifax?  (editted:  yes maybe, Sydney.  There were 3 ports before Quebec). 

We did not have to pass through any customs' booths.  Left the ship, got our luggage, and walked to bus line.

Same for on the way down.  We cleared Customs and Immigrations for the US in Portland, ME.  That was was painful.  We had to stand in line to show our passport.  Took over an hour for us to clear....and had an independent tour that we had to reschedule due to delay.

The Canadians do it right!

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I believe we cleared customs on the way up.  St. John or Halifax?  (editted:  yes maybe, Sydney.  There were 3 ports before Quebec). 

We did not have to pass through any customs' booths.  Left the ship, got our luggage, and walked to bus line.

Same for on the way down.  We cleared Customs and Immigrations for the US in Portland, ME.  That was was painful.  We had to stand in line to show our passport.  Took over an hour for us to clear....and had an independent tour that we had to reschedule due to delay.

The Canadians do it right!

I am not sure about Canadians doing it right. It took us well over 30 minutes to get through customs in Vancouver when arriving or going via train. You have to show up by 5:30 am for a 7:15 train from Vancouver and Portland. My favorite customs was earlier this year in SF from Mexico cruise. Facial recognition just walked right through no need to show passport at all

Edited by memoak

22 minutes ago, memoak said:

I am not sure about Canadians doing it right. It took us well over 30 minutes to get through customs in Vancouver when arriving or going via train. You have to show up by 5:30 am for a 7:15 train from Vancouver and Portland. My favorite customs was earlier this year in SF from Mexico cruise. Facial recognition just walked right through no need to show passport at all

If you are leaving Canada, there is zero Canadian immigration/customs requirement.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

If you are leaving Canada, there is zero Canadian immigration/customs requirement.

Well when leaving the train station in Vancouver we had to show a passport and were asked questions about how long we had been in Canada   Then when the train got to the US border US customs agents came to get declarations and asked more questions 

42 minutes ago, memoak said:

Well when leaving the train station in Vancouver we had to show a passport and were asked questions about how long we had been in Canada   Then when the train got to the US border US customs agents came to get declarations and asked more questions 

I'd suggest that had to do with US CBP and nothing to do with any Canadian requirement.

• Like 2