Major cuts to MDR menus

Someone posted all the current MDR menus from the Encore to another group I belong to (you can see them here).  It looks like most of the entrees are the same, but huge cuts to the appetizer and dessert sections.  I'm wondering if this has rolled out fleet-wide yet?  Has anyone had these on other ships?  While I've been hoping for a long time that NCL would totally revamp their menus (which have been basically the same for YEARS), it seems like they are just cutting items.  Disappointing for those of us who cruise a lot and were getting sick of the same things over and over.  Now we have even less to choose from.  I know all lines are streamlining, that's nothing surprising.  But at least come up with NEW menus if you're going to limit the number of items. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, hallux said:

Doesn't look any different than the menus on my Bliss cruise in January, or on previous cruises.

Look at the appetizer section.  It's been cut a LOT.  Many of my old favorites are gone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I followed the links and checked out the lunch and dinner menus.  Looks like plenty of choices to me along with the buffet and other places to stop in that are complimentary.  Guarantee I wouldn't be losing any weight.

No issue for me.  

We just got off the Star and our group agreed it was the worst food variety and quality we have had on NCL (not comparing to other lines). No cookies, no hash browns, lower quality buffet options and mains........but still perfectly acceptable, never was hungry, and we had a great time. I take it some cruise just for the food, but that is just a means to a destination for us.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

I followed the links and checked out the lunch and dinner menus.  Looks like plenty of choices to me along with the buffet and other places to stop in that are complimentary.  Guarantee I wouldn't be losing any weight.

No issue for me.  

That may be true for most people.  But for those of who cruise NCL a lot, these represent significant cuts.  Just pointing out that fact.   It looks like 4-5 appetizers have been cut from the dinner menus every night.  And now there are really only 2 dessert options on many nights (if you don't want the fruit or the sugar free). 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, relmondcrsise said:

That may be true for most people.  But for those of who cruise NCL a lot, these represent significant cuts.  Just pointing out that fact.   It looks like 4-5 appetizers have been cut from the dinner menus every night.  And now there are really only 2 dessert options on many nights (if you don't want the fruit or the sugar free). 

I'm sorry, but I really don't see the drastic cuts you speak of, but don't ask me, I'm only diamond latitudes.  When was the last time you cruised on NCL??

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Based only on memory - I haven't saved MDR menus from past cruises - I would say that the appetizers are equivalent, as are the classics. The "Featured Entrées" and the desserts seem to be fewer, but not to the extent that it bothers me.

I don’t eat at the MDR very often, but usually have a look at the menu when walking past them (I’d guess I usually see two out of three menus).

The ones posted look the same as were on the Viva a couple of weeks ago. I can’t say that I noticed them being significantly different to previous ones. The biggest difference from a few years ago for me is the Cagney options offered (which have been there for a while now). I don’t see any big difference in the number or variety of apps or entrees.

I’m obviously not as invested in this as others are, so could be missing some differences, but it isn’t obvious to a casual observer.

Previous night 1 appetizer menu (as of my last sailing about a month ago) vs new menu (posted a week or so ago to the site I referenced earlier).  Whether or not you care about this (it's fine if no one else is bothered by it), there most certainly have been significant cuts over the past few months (not sure when they were phased in for each ship). 

Screen Shot 2024-05-17 at 4.12.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-05-17 at 4.13.15 PM.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, relmondcrsise said:

Look at the appetizer section.  It's been cut a LOT.  Many of my old favorites are gone.

I found a pic, looks like 4 of 11 items are gone (though not comparing the same exact menu) so I guess there is a difference.

• Like 5

I agree with OP. 

For those of us who like appetizers more than the entrees, there is definitely less to choose from.  I often just choose appetizers/salads/soup and skip the entrees.  Definitely less choices now😕 

Also, strange that there are only less desserts to choose from.  I had noticed several months ago they were no longer serving my favorite soufflé dessert.  Now, not much else to choose from.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

I agree with OP. 

For those of us who like appetizers more than the entrees, there is definitely less to choose from.  I often just choose appetizers/salads/soup and skip the entrees.  Definitely less choices now😕 

Also, strange that there are only less desserts to choose from.  I had noticed several months ago they were no longer serving my favorite soufflé dessert.  Now, not much else to choose from.

Thank you, I thought I was losing my mind for a second!  I understand that many don't care or aren't negatively impacted by this, but to deny there has been a change just isn't factual. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just back from a Pride of America Hawaii cruise.

Yes, a lot of cutbacks and lack of diversity, both in MDR and buffet.

6 days the same breakfast selections in the buffet.

I was watching the MDR menus for a baked Alaska. None

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm on the Encore on Sunday and saw the post with the menus. My first thought was what the heck happened to all the apps and desserts. 

When I cruised NCL last year for the first time I was amazed at the variety and the number of items on the menu. I told everyone how good the food was on NCL. Now I'm planning on being a bit disappointed with the MDR.

I wear glasses but I'm not blind, there have been big changes/cuts.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I don't cruise as much as everyone else, but as a food allergy person, I pay a LOT of attention to the menus. Yes, I noticed the appetizers have not been as varied, although I think you could probably ask for the artisanal fruit and cheese, when it isn't offered. The classic salmon turned into flounder. 

There is still stuff for me to eat, thank goodness. Although I do still hate everything on the menu on Lemon Pepper Shrimp night, with the exception of the caesar salad. 

Edited by Ellis1138
  • Like 3

The change I see is the crab and seafood appetizers are gone.  Seafood is always the first thing to get cut since its more expensive than salads or soup.  I remember when Cagney's had crab legs and jumbo shrimp.  I am not a huge seafood eater so it does not bother me.

I think its fair to say that lobster is out of the question 😲

(sorry seafood junkies, I couldn't resist)

Currently on the Jewel.  I have to say that the menu choices are not as robust as they were when we started cruising in 2021.  Each cruise (8 so far) I have noticed changes.  While I won’t go hungry, the changes are noticeable and all designed to cut costs.  What I’ve noticed on the Jewel is that since they really can’t alter the menu much more, they are now cutting costs in other ways.  For example, salad dressings are watered down and tasteless.  If you happen to get full strength dressing, the little cups are now 1/4 full.  The sandwiches now use 1/2 the filling and spread it across the whole sandwich. The portion sizes have shrunk.  Smoked salmon bagels in MDR are now on mini bagels.  The serving of breakfast potatoes consist of 4-6 small pieces.  The sauces are using low cost ingredients like more flour.  The spinach and artichoke dip has very little spinach, no discernible artichoke and is in a flour forward bechemal sauce with little if any cheese.  Perhaps someone who doesn’t cook much wouldn’t notice the changes.  And…the slots are really tight.   I’m enjoying the cruise…heck, we’re on a cruise.  The staff and crew are mostly awesome.  But…the cuts are noticeable.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1