The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday May 20th, 2024

Today is Eliza Doolittle Day, Everybody Draw Mohammed Day, and International Human Resources Day

Man is the only creature who refuses to be what he is.--Albert Camus

Meal Suggestion for today - Spring Salad
Drink of the Day - Spritz
Wine of the Day - 2021 Pinot Blanc, Haus Klosterberg, Markus Molitor, Mosel
Destination of the Day - Miyako, Japan

Today in History:
1927 At 7:40 AM, Charles Lindbergh takes off from New York to cross the Atlantic for Paris, aboard Spirit of St Louis in the 1st solo nonstop transatlantic flight

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Koningsdam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska, Juneau, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30 ,13:00 - 22:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska eta 05-21

Nieuw Statendam

Alesund, Norway 08:00 - 18:00

Noordam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 15:00 - 18:00

Oosterdam

Mykonos Island, Greece 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Liverpool, England 08:00 - 23:00

Volendam

At Sea Destination Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada eta 05-21

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 05-21

Zaandam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Cobh-Cork, Ireland eta 05-21

0520Alaska.thumb.png.eaa677cd45f38cda70ec50336140d7d1.png

0520Atlantic.thumb.png.dd955415015fe851aa1c50fb702188fe.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 27

I have never been this early to the party! I woke up in a fit of coughing so decided to get up so dh could still sleep peacefully. I am feeling much better but the lungs still want to clear phlegm hence the coughing fit.

quiet day today as it is our Victoria Day holiday. Stores closed or on holiday hours. Weather looks good until early afternoon when thunderstorms are forecast.

prayers for those that need them and a shoutout to those celebrating.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

73 this morning heading up to 89 with plenty of sunshine.

I’m not sure about the quote.

I’m not sure what a spring salad is but since I love most salads I’ll give today’s meal a try.

Charles Lindbergh was a true American hero but how tragic was it that his son was kidnapped and murdered. 
Back to the golf course today but my knees are acting up from all the walking we did while on the Enchanted Princess last week. 
Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  It is only 54F with partly cloudy skies here on the Zuiderdam.  It was lots cloudier earlier but at 11 a.m. it seems to be getting sunnier.  Pretty chilly though.  I felt like I was catching a cold yesterday early with a little bit of sore throat so have been following everyone's advice and using the zinc lozenges we carry along in our pharmacy items.  Hoping it doesn't get too bad.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily. 

In 20 minutes we have Cake Me Away and I want photos so have to hurry along here.  This afternoon is On Deck for the Cause at 1 p.m., benefiting Ukrainian refugees.  Interesting days, quote, meal suggestion, drink and wine.  A big day for aviation when Lindbergh flew in the Spirit of St. Louis across the Atlantic ocean for the first time nonstop.  Thanks for the reports F&B ladies!

Prayers for our Daily group in need of them, DB, Alex's baby boys, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the remaining hostages, and our military in the region.  Cheers to those cruising, preparing to cruise, and celebrating their own special events.  Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for your list keeping!

We sent our laundry out yesterday morning after breakfast and it was back during dinner time.  Great work! 

DH says Ren's team FC Dallas U-17 beat Kansas City over the weekend.  They met in Tulsa to play the game.  There is a huge championship game in Nashville in June and I'm not sure if KC qualified.  FC Dallas will be there.

The port today is Miyako, Japan.  This is the third time for it, first being Nov. 3, 2021 and second July 3, 2022.  I haven't been there before.  Here are your links!

Time to get upstairs for some photos of those cakes!  Have a good day, stay safe and keep well!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 6

Today’s Care List:

RMLincoln’s DH follow-up with eye doctor

Kazu with foot infection and having foot pain

RMLincoln’s DH requiring eye drops & pressure massages for drainage incision

JazzyV’s BFF with a fall and sustaining a tib-fib fracture, surgery 5/21

Victims of flooding and storms across the country

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL Amber with a stroke, now in rehab

StLouisCruisers’ nephew Alex’s in-utero identical twins

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Ottahand7 heading to the cabin

Nickelpenny post back surgery, now home, doing well

RMLincoln’s DH with eye drainage incision still open on last evaluation

Luvteaching having made progress with her stuck hip flexor muscle

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for MrSnuggleupagus (Koningsdam May 25 to June 1) Alaska Inside Passage

Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage), and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to June 8 ) 28d Passage to Normandy & Baltic Jewels + Zuiderdam (June 8 to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 21
  • Thanks 22

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Happy Victoria Day!  I heard some fireworks last night after I went to bed,  we've got a chance of thunderstorms tonight so I wonder if anyone will be able to set fireworks off tonight.

Three interesting days to celebrate.

Not sure what to make of the quote.

Yes to the meal, drink and wine.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List and many more.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Spritz cocktail:

A spritz is an Italian wine-based cocktail, commonly served as an apéritif across Italy. It consists of Prosecco, digestive bitters and soda water. The original spritz veneziano uses Select as bitters and was created in Venice in 1920.

Ingredients:
1 1/4 oz Aperol
2 oz Prosecco
Splash of Soda water

Preparation:
Build into glass over ice, garnish and serve.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Orange Wedge

Screenshot 2024-05-20 at 6.46.10 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 19

Good afternoon.

It is overcast and 55°F here.

2 interesting days and 1 it is best not to comment on.

Thought provoking quote.

A spring salad is nice.

Prayers 🙏 for our friends who are unwell.

I hope everyone is safe and well and looking forward to a new week.

Screenshot_20240520_120303.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 16

I wondered about the Draw Mohammed...  It did sound strange -- and I've never watched South Park...

Thank you for the reports and Information!!  

Have a truly wonderful day!!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Happy Monday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Going to be very humid today. I dislike humidity. On my agenda today is grading assignments, closing out a class that ended, a committee meeting, and perhaps cutting the grass in the yard. Yesterday Fancy helped me clean out one garden bed for the herb garden. She then had the zoomies around the yard she was so happy. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Monday | Funny cats, Funny cat memes, Cats

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning. Thank you Tina @0106 for explaining the origins of the drawing protest. I guess Eliza Doolittle could have a day if she wants. I have not been to Japan but I would like to help Sandi @StLouisCruisers eat those cakes! Salads are popular here so we await instructions for spring salad.

My helpers had to go home yesterday but made a big difference in the work load here. I am waiting for the arrival of the regular  Monday to Friday aide and the week will start. It will be warmer here this week with lots of humidity. I could feel that change with early morning dog walks-no jacket required.

@dfish, Debbie, I love the outdoor furniture and fire pit you selected and put together. It looks like a great area to enjoy the outdoor breezes. Do you get black flies or mosquitoes there? 
@RMLincoln, Maureen, I hope all goes well at the eye doctors appointment today. A few days ago you asked if the river near me( one mile down a huge hill) was the Hudson. It is and it is just beautiful. I often drive to a good spot to view it like Untermeyer Park and just breathe.

@JazzyV, Vanessa, I hope all goes well with the surgery tomorrow for BFF and that you continue to make a good recovery.

Have a great day today everyone.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

The Food & Beverage department has been doing an excellent job with the “vague” suggestions (2019 Merlot, spritz, spring salad). I made my favorite spring salad last night.  Spinach picked from my garden, asparagus and strawberries from the farmers market in a light vinaigrette.  A salad is always best when the freshest, local, in season ingredients are used.

Thank you to all the regular posters, especially everyone who posts port pictures.

The Dali has been refloated.  I am watching the local news as it is being moved to the Seagrit Marine terminal.  Carnival has stated they will return to the port of Baltimore at the end of May.

Positive thoughts to those who are struggling from physical or mental  issues. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Happy Monday all and a very happy Victoria Day to all the Canadian Daily -ites.

Eliza Doolittle fan here LOL.  That quote of Camus is so so true.  Got the rest of the legs on the remaining new fencing for the garden that will hopefully work for Ivan.  Plan is to hobble out and try to put in the remainder and get rid of the ugly blockades I put up when the ground was frozen.

Victoria Day is a traditional planting day here so with luck, I will start to get some earth in the pots.  It will depend on what I can tolerate and for how long - but I will give it a shot.

Mason is back to work on the walkway and planters out front.  Not sure if he will be able to finish today or have to return again but it’s good to get it all done.  It needed doing badly.  DD DH loved brick as it reminded him of Mexico but it is a pain to maintain with our winters 😉 

Vanessa @JazzyV best wishes for your surgery tomorrow 🙏 

Prayers for thos on the Care list, those suffering losses, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🍻 

IMG_2403.thumb.jpeg.653350853e619eaf528baf7ac299a9a6.jpeg

• Like 31
  • Haha 10

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! The morning breeze has cleared out the marine layer and the sun is shining brightly. Yesterday was really hot, but the winds kept the humidity to the West of me. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. Praying that all goes well for BFF tomorrow. Just be sure to take care of yourself, too.

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, and pool time. I may get my water weights out and do an evening workout in the pool. 

IMG_2809.jpeg.edae32391449ff6f7166b8a527e362a1.jpeg

IMG_2873.jpeg.2f3dfff28f2994249389ebf56c69b3f1.jpeg

IMG_2890.jpeg.c0f32b76f83f4372064a4a62a0cece42.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Terry, hope you had a chance to rest. Praying that Tana has a good week. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

2021 Pinot Blanc, Haus Klosterberg, Markus Molitor, Mosel

This vintner’s Riesling is fairly easy to find in North America & is well respected. But their Pinot Blanc is elusive. It sounds lovely and if you live in - or are visiting Europe, you can enjoy it! Online prices start at $12.94, but none of the distributors I found ship outside of Europe. 

Distributor’s notes

This dry Pinot Blanc from the Markus Molitor estate on the Central Moselle is redolent of yellow fruit and pear, complemented by the tang of slate so typical of this region. This tangy note harmonizes wonderfully with the wine’s juicy fruitiness.

On the palate, the Markus Molitor Pinot Blanc Haus Klosterberg quality wine is stimulating, juicy and zesty thanks to its fresh and lively acidity. Enjoy this quality wine with potato-leek soup with prawns and croutons or summer lettuces with fried chanterelles and white balsamic foam. You‘ll like this dry Pinot Blanc produced from different vineyards in the Central Moselle region.

Wine type: Weißwein
Ageing Potential: 2028
Alcohol content: 12,0 % by volume
Recommended drinking temperature: 9 °C
Closure: Screw cap
Allergen: contains Sulfite
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here! 

What do you do after going on a cruise? Plan for another one of course. It looks like we are going to book our once a year cruise where we treat DSIL with a MSC cruise from NYC in January. They are currently running a Memorial Day sale and along with our 5%+5% discount this far out, we will book an 11-night cruise to the Eastern Caribbean. Of course if Sam is still with us we will cancel before final payment. He fell down our stairs last night for his end of day trip to the outside. That is the second time that has happened.

We are scheduled to visit today's Port next year as we have booked the 29-Day Japan + Pacific Collector with HAL for April 25. The Noordam is assigned which is the only Vista-class we have not sailed on.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Good morning from chilly Upper Peninsula of MI.  We had a beautiful day to drive up here and made good time, no major construction.   I had a fire laid in the fireplace and even though it was 76 outside it was 55 in the cabin and a bunch of chilly days ahead of us.   I lit that and the gas lamp in the bathroom to heat that room.  The basement is so cold that it will be a while to get the chill off.  We don't want to get it too warm in here because the long range forecast says a hotter than normal summer.  I was saddened to find my new Iris bed put in several years go was completely decimated by voles.    Time to start unpacking and tending the fire.  Have a lovely day!  Nancy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be another beautiful day here in mid-Michigan with sunshiny skies and temps in the mid 80s.  I left windows open to cool down the house last night, so hopefully it won't get too hot in here.  It is way too early in the season for AC.  No gym today as we are going to a funeral for the DM of a neighbor.  It is always hard to lose a mom.  We had met the mom and visited with her a few times when we went to see our friend, Ellamary, as they were both at the same assisted living facility.  

@0106 Tina described Spring Salad perfectly.  Just use what is freshest for the time.  Right now asparagus reigns supreme at the Farmers Market.  But, use whatever fresh produce you can find and/or like.  This first one also uses some roasted chickpeas and pistachios.  Those are great for adding in some protein.  Spring Salad

springsalad1.thumb.jpg.0b7fbe6681767e5217c5d7b7634846be.jpg

I think the herb vinaigrette that comes with the above salad sounds great as well.  The mint in this next recipe is interesting.  The goat cheese is great for protein, but can be subbed out for a cheese of your liking.   More Spring Salad

springsalad2.thumb.jpg.0dd2effe37555d28db80080b36acdf3a.jpg

This last spring salad adds in strawberries and mandarin oranges with a raspberry vinaigrette.  That sounds pretty good, too!  Spring Salad with Fruit

springsalad3.jpg.59ab1fa1187d004d6fe34ce02a5b561c.jpg

I hope this inspires you to create your version of spring salad.  And, why not share?   

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 20

Good Monday morning everyone, it certainly takes on a different ring when you’re retired!  Thanks for the daily report. 

Hats off to Eliza Doolittle who transformed into a lady.  Won’t be drawing Mohammed, the premise of the day seems mean spirited.  The general consensus amongst professionals that I knew was that HR was not your friend, I thought Personnel was a better name for that department.

Not sure what to make of today’s quote.

The meal and drink suggestions sound nice. We can always eat more salads.

I haven’t been to today’s port.

Prayers for those on our prayer list, here’s hoping that things improve.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1