Joy PrivaSea balcony cabins

Posted (edited)

In looking at the Joy for an upcoming trip, I notice that some of their balcony cabins are labeled as "PrivaSea" on more than one website. In researching "PrivaSea" I see several such cabins on the Gem (and possibly other older ships). The balcony is actually like an enclosed area...almost like a Cove balcony on Carnival, and much different than the open space of a "regular" balcony.

On the Joy, all of the "PrivaSea" cabins are on the corners where the ship bends, just out, or whatever. All of those cabins are depicted as angled.

An example is cabin 11806.

I assume that's why they're called "PrivaSea", due to the neighbors having a more difficult time looking into your balcony. But we've had angled balconies before on the Escape, and I don't see where those cabins are called "PrivaSea". 

I just want to make sure we wouldn't be getting an enclosed balcony if we end up picking one of the Joy's angled "PrivaSea" balconies.

Edited by schmoopie17

I was in 14252 on the Joy, it was a relatively normal balcony but is listed as "privasea".  It was right where one of the angles on the side of the ship is

• Thanks 1

The only actual "PrivaSea" balconies on Joy are the Haven Suites directly under the bridge (13108/13708).

An angled balcony being labeled as "PrivaSea" doesn't mean anything other than being another mistake on a NCL deck plan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a PrivASea cabin on Pearl for next year.  Looking at the photos, there is a decent sized cut out in the hull for the open part of the balcony.  Im looking forward to it.  Cuts down on the wind, and the sun blaring.  The only downfall is, it might remind me of being in an indoor pool, sort of a stale smell on the balcony.

We were in 13198 on the Joy last summer.  It was an angled balcony.  We didn’t notice any difference between this cabin and the angled balconies on the Escap and Breakaway which were not labeled as PrivaSea.  

PrivaSea is a marketing term created for your convenience, of course.

They used to be called hull balconies and you are right, they are at the front or back.  Basically metal around sides, top, and bottom with large opening in the center.

Reminds me of the newlywed who got on the Dawn and discovered they had a hull balcony only to have bride collapse onto the bed and cry the whole trip.  If you have one of these booked, perhaps you could do vow renewal and recreate the seven day crying experience.  Video required.

we booked a privatesea previously, and NEVER AGAIN. i didnt fully understand what it actually  was and when we got into the cabin, it was a major disappointment. i felt boxed in.

On 5/21/2024 at 9:42 AM, 9tee2Sea said:

I have a PrivASea cabin on Pearl for next year.  Looking at the photos, there is a decent sized cut out in the hull for the open part of the balcony.  Im looking forward to it.  Cuts down on the wind, and the sun blaring.  The only downfall is, it might remind me of being in an indoor pool, sort of a stale smell on the balcony.

I tend to sail the colder itineraries (Antarctica, Alaska, Norway...) and I prefer the hull balconies because of the added protection from wind & rain.

And don't worry about a stale smell on the balcony - it's really not that much different IMHO, at least with respect to fresh air.

• Like 1