QA British Isles Voyage

Megabear2

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Slugsta said:

I am very disappointed to hear that, on a brand new ship, accessibility features are so poor. Things like signage can be changed, but the lack of automatic cabin/balcony doors is really not acceptable ☹️

Yes, a week in to the cruise and we are still quite shocked about this and in fact have just been discussing this very subject with another wheelchair user. 

We really like the ship (other than the truly awful Promenade deck - see below) but our supposedly accessible cabin has proved to be a major challenge for my wife, so much so that we are going to have to think very carefully whether we go ahead with our second QA cruise in November or cancel.

I am now in discomfort myself from having to lift my wife, due to the fact that there are only grab rails on one side of both our toilet and shower seat, which is inexcusable. We looked at an accessible bathroom on one of the public decks and it was the same, so my wife couldn’t have used that either without me lifting her. My wife can only access the cabin and the balcony if I am with her, due to there being no automation on any of the doors

The poor and easy to miss signage in the theatre has been moved from in front of the wheelchair companion seats and placed on the seat backs, where they are even more impossible to see. Consequently these seats are still being taken by those who shouldn’t be using them, meaning that we have to turn up half an hour early to be able to sit next to each other. 

The Britannia Club dining experience has been excellent and has been our saving grace, which is just as well as the poor accessibility aspects have resulted in this being far from a relaxing holiday for us. 

IMG_2143.jpeg

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Yes, a week in to the cruise and we are still quite shocked about this and in fact have just been discussing this very subject with another wheelchair user. 

We really like the ship (other than the truly awful Promenade deck - see below) but our supposedly accessible cabin has proved to be a major challenge for my wife, so much so that we are going to have to think very carefully whether we go ahead with our second QA cruise in November or cancel.

I am now in discomfort myself from having to lift my wife, due to the fact that there are only grab rails on one side of both our toilet and shower seat, which is inexcusable. We looked at an accessible bathroom on one of the public decks and it was the same, so my wife couldn’t have used that either without me lifting her. My wife can only access the cabin and the balcony if I am with her, due to there being no automation on any of the doors

The poor and easy to miss signage in the theatre has been moved from in front of the wheelchair companion seats and placed on the seat backs, where they are even more impossible to see. Consequently these seats are still being taken by those who shouldn’t be using them, meaning that we have to turn up half an hour early to be able to sit next to each other. 

The Britannia Club dining experience has been excellent and has been our saving grace, which is just as well as the poor accessibility aspects have resulted in this being far from a relaxing holiday for us. 

IMG_2143.jpeg

Good morning Selbourne.

It is really disappointing to hear that the engineers of such a modern ship didn't have the foresight to install essential and basic disability aids such as grab rails where needed.

This should be a relatively easy fix, hopefully your feedback along with others will be taken seriously and the problem will be resolved soon and before your next trip.

I hope your discomfort improves soon and enjoy the remainder of your cruise.

Edited by S1971
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Selbourne , can I make a suggestion? We don't book accessible cabins so don't know of these 'oversights' but we too are theatre early birds in order to  get the wheelchair seats before any able bodies sit there because as you say, signage is useless so are aware of that deficiency.

You however are seriously aware of them and the company also needs to be aware too. If you make an appointment with the appropriate person/manager, NOT any old front desk person, quoting health and safety issues if you must in order to get their attention, and tell them about all the shortcomings. Some will be easier to correct than others [theatre springs to mind and more in-cabin grab rails] but if no one tells them, they 'won't be aware'.

Edited by Victoria2
spellin!
  • Like 7

Selbourne, I am really sorry that what should have been a relaxing break has ended up causing you health problems of your own! I would have thought that grab rails on both sides of toilets and showers should be a minimum requirement of something designated 'accessible'. 

One of the things I love about cruising with my electric chair is that it usually gives hubby and I the freedom to go off and do our own thing, knowing that I can be independent. Lack of such basic features reduces, if not completely removes, that independence. We have Queen Anne booked for next year but will have keep a close eye on reviews to see whether or not we want to cancel.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I suggest Selbourne makes an appointment with Mr.Callum Williams who is the Guest Services Manager  ( hopefully he is still onboard - he was for the Maiden) 

This is the department to direct 'serious issues', all meetings are recorded and fed back to head office shoreside.

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

I suggest Selbourne makes an appointment with Mr.Callum Williams who is the Guest Services Manager  ( hopefully he is still onboard - he was for the Maiden) 

This is the department to direct 'serious issues', all meetings are recorded and fed back to head office shoreside.

Thank you. I will ask if he is still onboard. 

I raised these issues at the Pursers Desk on the day we embarked when asking for a raised toilet seat, and also twice with our deck manager when he called to follow up our concerns. However, I have no confidence whatsoever that anything will be done about them, so will try this route. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I raised these issues at the Pursers Desk on the day we embarked when asking for a raised toilet seat, and also twice with our deck manager when he called to follow up our concerns. However, I have no confidence whatsoever that anything will be done about them, so will try this route. 

No use going to anyone lower than an admin. manager, as I found out when enquiring about the lift issues. I didn't have a meeting with Callum but I did with another manager.

If they are in a meeting/not available, stand your ground and insist, which is why I say cite health and safety if needs be and make sure a record of your complain is made.

Let us know the outcome. 👍

Edited by Victoria2
added admin
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I have every confidence that you will bring this up in the most courteous of ways, however sometimes a more stern approach is necessary given the serious implications that could potentially happen, not only to your wife but to your own health.

You probably will have already, but if I may, please photograph and video all your areas of concern and get the names of all those you've spoken too, even the other passengers who've been affected, keeping evidence is essential.

Hope you get to resolve this soon and please do keep us informed of your progress.

In the meantime take care and enjoy.

• Like 7

Just now, Selbourne said:

Callum is still on board, and I have found him to be very responsive to concerns. Do make an appointment to meet with him 🙂

• Like 5

Back on topic, what we had hoped would be a highlight of the cruise (scenic cruising around the Scottish Isles for 2 days) has become quite an anti climax. 

Yesterday we cruised past the Isle of Lewis during the day but it was quite a distant view for all but an hour. The captain said that we would spend 4 hours cruising past the Isle of Skye between 6 and 10pm but we were so far from it and the visibility at that time of day had worsened so we didn’t even get 4 minutes, let alone 4 hours!

Today we should be doing scenic Scottish isles cruising but have headed some way out to sea with no land for miles and it will take us some time to return. My sense is that they are doing some sea tests on the ship. Hopefully by the time we return to the Scottish Isles the visibility won’t have faded again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back on topic, what we had hoped would be a highlight of the cruise (scenic cruising around the Scottish Isles for 2 days) has become quite an anti climax. 

Yesterday we cruised past the Isle of Lewis during the day but it was quite a distant view for all but an hour. The captain said that we would spend 4 hours cruising past the Isle of Skye between 6 and 10pm but we were so far from it and the visibility at that time of day had worsened so we didn’t even get 4 minutes, let alone 4 hours!

Today we should be doing scenic Scottish isles cruising but have headed some way out to sea with no land for miles and it will take us some time to return. My sense is that they are doing some sea tests on the ship. Hopefully by the time we return to the Scottish Isles the visibility won’t have faded again!

We have scenic cruise the Isles a few times and only once [last May] did we have a decent scenic view as not only was there no mist/mizzle, the weather was absolutely glorious so to be fair, it might not be anything nefarious, rather a planned route.

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

We have scenic cruise the Isles a few times and only once [last May] did we have a decent scenic view as not only was there no mist/mizzle, the weather was absolutely glorious so to be fair, it might not be anything nefarious, rather a planned route.

Quite possibly, but even if we had azure blue skies and 100% visibility at present we would have no scenic views as we are so far from where the scenery is!

We are currently using a lot of fuel going nowhere, hence my theory that they are doing some trials. If they just had time to kill then lingering around the scenic parts would be far more preferable from a passenger perspective. 

• Like 1

Quite possibly, but even if we had azure blue skies and 100% visibility at present we would have no scenic views as we are so far from where the scenery is!

We are currently using a lot of fuel going nowhere, hence my theory that they are doing some trials. If they just had time to kill then lingering around the scenic parts would be far more preferable from a passenger perspective. 

You have hours of daylight left. Let's hope the scenic bit comes later.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Selbourne I would also add, when you see the appropriate member of staff, you ask for a 'reminder' to be put in the Daily Programme, reminding fellow passengers the wheelchair spots are for wheelchair users and their companions. You could also mention 'and not for the less able but without wheelchairs' but that might not go down too well as a written reminder.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

You have hours of daylight left. Let's hope the scenic bit comes later.

I’m sure it will. Even the restaurant manager has just said to me “aren’t we meant to be cruising past something scenic today?” 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Selbourne I would also add, when you see the appropriate member of staff, you ask for a 'reminder' to be put in the Daily Programme, reminding fellow passengers the wheelchair spots are for wheelchair users and their companions. You could also mention 'and not for the less able but without wheelchairs' but that might not go down too well as a written reminder.

I dared to politely point out to a couple last night that the seats they were in were for wheelchair users and companions. I received a tirade of abuse. “I have a blue badge. I’m entitled to sit here”. I refrained from pointing out that probably 25% of the passengers on this cruise probably have a Blue Badge, but we had no other options where we could sit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I dared to politely point out to a couple last night that the seats they were in were for wheelchair users and companions. I received a tirade of abuse. “I have a blue badge. I’m entitled to sit here”. I refrained from pointing out that probably 25% of the passengers on this cruise probably have a Blue Badge, but we had no other options where we could sit. 

Precisely why more definite and obvious signage is needed. Put that down on your list to mention to the manager.

Sadly,  being entitled and rude seems to be a way of life for a few people these days. I hope it doesn't become more prevalent on Cunard.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Blue badges do not apply on a ship.

My Mother is in a wheelchair and if she had been there and heard that I can assure you she would have given them a piece of her mind - she doesn't hold back my Mother! 

It definitely needs to be reported to Senior Management asap.

Appalling behaviour, I feel extremely sorry for you and others. 😟

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I’m sure it will. Even the restaurant manager has just said to me “aren’t we meant to be cruising past something scenic today?” 😂

image.png.e8749e86988204dfddb186637e8cc139.png

12 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

image.png.e8749e86988204dfddb186637e8cc139.png

We took that route on Marella from Iceland to Dublin,to avoid the worse of a hurricane force storm.We saw the Islands although in not ideal conditions.

From her direction on the nav screen, I suspect Anne is taking us to Boston🫣

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

From her direction on the nav screen, I suspect Anne is taking us to Boston🫣

Wouldn’t that be great? Sir Sam would approve. 😀But I think she has now turned east.

Just returned from a brilliant audience with the legendary Frank Bruno (no idea why he’s not been knighted). 

Final question - “Of all the people you encountered, who hit you the hardest”

Frank - “The tax man” 😂

• Haha 9