Just off Apex - infinite balcony cabin

41 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

Don’t know how you quantify ‘more’. I have talked to dozens of people - in real life people, not people I only interact with on forums  -  and not one liked the IV. 

I don’t understand why several IV promoters are not in favour of a choice. It doesn’t need to be either/or. As I stated earlier, there are ship designers who could manage to design a ship with both. And not just true balconies for suites. 

Who doesn’t like IVs?  I mean you can open it.  And stick your head outside.  And the air comes in.  You can hear things.  

Old fashioned balconies are just too stressful.  Depending on the cabin you have to decide whether to sit in the chair on the left or the right,  or sometimes if you should sit on the chair or the bench.  I mean you can even eat out there!  Who would want to do that?  Too many choices!

And if you sit outside you might get a sunburn.  An infinite veranda is infinitely better.  Plus you get to pay more for it.  Who doesn’t like that?

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

Don’t know how you quantify ‘more’. I have talked to dozens of people - in real life people, not people I only interact with on forums  -  and not one liked the IV. 

I don’t understand why several IV promoters are not in favour of a choice. It doesn’t need to be either/or. As I stated earlier, there are ship designers who could manage to design a ship with both. And not just true balconies for suites. 

I don't intend this badly if it comes across that way. Any negative tone is not intended, just offering a differing opinion. I don't have contacts that cruise often because I don't live anywhere close to a port that has this class of Celebrity ships and I haven't watched that many 'IV specific' reviews because I was lucky enough to be able to book one for no additional cost over a window view. Since I'm already booked I think making my own opinion is most important so I'll just wait and see for myself. But I don't understand why you care if someone else's opinion differs from yours.  It seems like the majority of the respondents have been in the cabins and already have an opinion and I haven't read where a single opinion change due to comments on any thread.

Many of the ship reviews I've read and seen bring up these balconies.  I don't see any indication that the bulk 'hate' them - although many 'influencer types' make these sort of claims.  Many state they 'prefer' the traditional but I doubt you know dozens that actually hate them unless you are all cool weather adapted individuals cruising in hot climates. Without context it's hard to know, but that group hardly makes up the bulk of passengers.  I still feel like where someone is from and where they are traveling to makes a big difference in someone's opinion. 

I've seen many comment that they have liked the cabins much more after a second trip so I think Oceansaway have noticed the same thing. The ship cabins are not low rated by any source I find reliable for mass opinion - just opposite - some of highest rated against any other ship. So whatever is in common in your group of "IV hating friends" is probably not as common or as important to many travelers.  That said, I could possibly join you group that dislikes the veranda.  I really don't think I will though - I'll probably just find some things I like more and notice some compromises - I feel like this is the standard reaction to them.

When cruisers change their opinions to the positive, I think it has little to do with the balcony layout.  I think it has more to do with automation and integration with phones.  Being able to open the blind or a window and turn on lights from phone while laying bed is a big update that the youth of today likely appreciates more than the older cruiser.  I still tend to like things with tactile feedback like knobs.  Again, I haven't researched the competition or other cabins on these ships, but I haven't seen anything that works as fluidly from the end to end experience in a cabin.  I don't think being able to change the room temp while being at dinner has the same impact of having automation throughout the entire room.  And that's causing a change of opinion that takes people more time to develop as they experience the cruise.  And some are noticing it more across multiple cruises - they aren't really saying it clearly as the cause when I've seen it, but that is what I think is happening.  The overall experience is better for most so the inconveniences are overlooked with time.    

I don't mean to belittle your response, but I don't think our opinions really matter for changing what Celebrity builds on their next ship.  I can't imagine the line did this if it were more expensive overall. They are likely saving on materials and time/manhours to build the ship. The changes likely reduce fuel use.  The cabins look like the designers may have been tasked how to automate and appeal to the people buying Tesla cars.  I sort of feel like they can add these verandas closer to sea level since since the windows can be closed by the captain to prevent people from being swept overboard.  The ships likely have more window view cabins replaced with the higher priced verandas.  I have no basis for these opinions, but the fact is the ships are still filling up and profits are being realized - and all of these would increase profit.  I think only what affects profit is likely to make a change in how ships are built. So I don't think it matters if others agree with what I think about the verandas - it isn't changing how the next ship is built.

I don't disagree with what I think all the cruise lines are targeting.  The under 40 crowd - especially the cruisers that sailed with their parents as kids and the ones that buy Teslas.  Passengers of that age as a whole don't seem to be care so much about the cabin layout to make their decision around it.

I'm in the over 40 crowd and the Infinite veranda definitely had zero impact on my decision to book on Celebrity - it was mostly about food.  I chose Beyond specifically because of how much it cost to upgrade to a veranda over ocean view on this ship - I didn't even know there was such controversy at the time.  In future, my decisions will likely be influenced little by balcony type.

In either case, I don't think there will be a reduction in these type of cabins on Celebrity.  A very small percentage that won't affect profit will go to other lines because they have an issue with them that affects their experience.  The majority will adapt to and embrace the change and likely make decisions off other aspects of the cruise which I think my result will be.  And a small percentage will like the cabins enough to choose due to it, but probably won't really affect overall profit.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

I've seen many comment that they have liked the cabins much more after a second trip so I think Oceansaway have noticed the same thing. The ship cabins are not low rated by any source I find reliable for mass opinion - just opposite - some of highest rated against any other ship. So whatever is in common in your group of "IV hating friends" is probably not as common or as important to many travelers.  That said, I could possibly join you group that dislikes the veranda.  I really don't think I will though - I'll probably just find some things I like more and notice some compromises - I feel like this is the standard reaction to them.

When cruisers change their opinions to the positive, I think it has little to do with the balcony layout.  I think it has more to do with automation and integration with phones.  Being able to open the blind or a window and turn on lights from phone while laying bed is a big update that the youth of today likely appreciates more than the older cruiser.  I still tend to like things with tactile feedback like knobs. 

I like technology.  I like iPhones and automation.  I was working with technology before these kids who buy Teslas were even using smartphones. It doesn’t make me want a window in my cabin.

Are you saying that I can go to dinner on a Celebrity cruise ship and adjust the temperature in my room from my smartphone while sitting at the table?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I like technology.  I like iPhones and automation.  I was working with technology before these kids who buy Teslas were even using smartphones. It doesn’t make me want a window in my cabin.

Are you saying that I can go to dinner on a Celebrity cruise ship and adjust the temperature in my room from my smartphone while sitting at the table?

No, it was just a general example of an automation I don't think would cause someone's opinion to change over time.  The last ship I was on required a card in a slot near the door for the AC to run.

I hope it's clear that I have never been on a Celebrity ship. I have no personal experience. I'm sure someone on here knows if you want to know the specific automations on one of the boats. 

11 hours ago, zitsky said:

Kids don’t but Teslas.

On 5/31/2024 at 5:54 PM, rmalbers said:

Actually, it seem like most people commenting have stayed in one.  Time flies and E class has been around a while now. 

we've stayed in IVs Aq class, Outdoor Aft Balc in SV and we had  a bigger outdoor  balc in SS on BEYOND.  Each had its pros and cons.  

Outdoor balc. is a .good space to drip dry bathing suits..closer to sea life,  night sky .and sunbathing, and better views approaching ports.

But it can be too windy, too sunny or too noisy. We never even went outside on our suite balc.. too busy out and about!

The IV on E Class gives more space in the long  narrow cabin,  away from the elements, much  quieter and can open the  big window for views and photos..Makes a nice cozy seating area..husb enjoys playing with the tech controls!

We are looking forward to a Concierge  outdoor balc on Silhouette...been awhile since we had  that!

if newer ships offered more variety.. there would be less complaining! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Flafun888 said:

I'm so thankful the S class still sails and I don't have to compromise on balcony prices for window cabins.

The problem is that the E class is getting the better itineraries.  This fact and the IVs is the reason that I am sailing on Princess for my next cruise.  The IVs would not work for me and my DW.  She likes to do her hair and makeup while I am out on the balcony.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

we've stayed in IVs Aq class, Outdoor Aft Balc in SV and we had  a bigger outdoor  balc in SS on BEYOND.  Each had its pros and cons.  

Outdoor balc. is a .good space to drip dry bathing suits..closer to sea life,  night sky .and sunbathing, and better views approaching ports.

But it can be too windy, too sunny or too noisy. We never even went outside on our suite balc.. too busy out and about!

The IV on E Class gives more space in the long  narrow cabin,  away from the elements, much  quieter and can open the  big window for views and photos..Makes a nice cozy seating area..husb enjoys playing with the tech controls!

We are looking forward to a Concierge  outdoor balc on Silhouette...been awhile since we had  that!

if newer ships offered more variety.. there would be less complaining! 

Do you know if the E class allows you to set the temp for your cabin remotely?

39 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

The problem is that the E class is getting the better itineraries.  This fact and the IVs is the reason that I am sailing on Princess for my next cruise.  The IVs would not work for me and my DW.  She likes to do her hair and makeup while I am out on the balcony.

you could close the bifolds.. 

We are moving to Silhouette ( after apex).. it was moderately updated and has a few good places to eat dinner/ lunch!

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, hcat said:

you could close the bifolds.. 

We are moving to Silhouette ( after apex).. it was moderately updated and has a few good places to eat dinner/ lunch!

The lack of AC while the windows is open and increased humidity would make this a no go...

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, zitsky said:

Who doesn’t like IVs?  I mean you can open it.  And stick your head outside.  And the air comes in.  You can hear things.  

Old fashioned balconies are just too stressful.  Depending on the cabin you have to decide whether to sit in the chair on the left or the right,  or sometimes if you should sit on the chair or the bench.  I mean you can even eat out there!  Who would want to do that?  Too many choices!

And if you sit outside you might get a sunburn.  An infinite veranda is infinitely better.  Plus you get to pay more for it.  Who doesn’t like that?

Don't forget.  You can always book an inside cabin and view the outside from your TV 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Don't forget.  You can always book an inside cabin and view the outside from your TV 🤣🤣🤣

If that’s true why do infinite verandas exist?  Put a TV where the window is.  If it’s raining show a sunny day.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gordylad said:

lots of people in dreamland.......its not a balcony its a pull down window

You gotta hand to Celebrity for its marketing genius. They basically built a bunch of rooms with windows that function - wait for it - just like a window. ("Hey! This window actually opens - how amazing!)

Then sold them as THE next-level, superior solution to a full traditional balcony.

Charged balcony+ prices. And are selling them by the boatload.

Brilliant.👏

Edited by Flafun888
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Flafun888 said:

You gotta hand to Celebrity for its marketing genius. They basically built a bunch of rooms with windows that function - wait for it - just like a window. ("Hey! This window actually opens - how amazing!)

Then sold them as THE next-level, superior solution to a full traditional balcony.

Charged balcony+ prices. And are selling them by the boatload.

Brilliant.👏

What OTHER cruise ship lets you open a window?  Nobody.  Celebrity does.  

Next Celebrity is adding showers with movable doors.  I said they should call it a shower “curtain” to match the window.  No one else has this technology.

You’re welcome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

X isn't the only one, there are other cruise companies that have IV on their new/er ships.

But not as the predominant cabin ...

The lines that do have them,  they are a much smaller percentage...

Edited by NMTraveller

23 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What OTHER cruise ship lets you open a window?  Nobody.  Celebrity does.  

You’re welcome.

This link will show how much you know 🙄😉🤣😁

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

This link will show how much you know 🙄😉🤣😁

Well this is just an Infinite Ocean View.  Celebrity has Infinite Veranda, so you can see more.