Guest Denied boarding due to being oversold - NCL Breakaway

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

I don't understand why people are questioning whether the letter was real.  It looks like a picture of a piece of paper taken with a camera, not an email.  Probably a quick letter generated on scene.  Not a form letter for an uncommon situation. For what purpose would someone create that letter if it didn't come from NCL? 

It is worth noting that the offset NCL logo has been used in the past on other official letters.  That tends to make me think that the letter is legitimate.  Especially since if I were going to create a fake letter, the first thing I would do is a google search to find exemplars and the more common central placement of the logo is prevalent on almost all of the letters that appear in a quick search.

Edited by Kortehgehn
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Not sure what a/he is saying…quit following after they took down the reddit posts.

My guess?  S/he booked a GTY rate and got mad about the cabin assigned?  Missed final payment and lost the cabin?

Who knows?  

But posting on reddit?  Then deleting?  Cutting and pasting a weird letter?

I call BS about the whole thing. But I guess the 'victim' just wanted attention and got it. 😏

• Haha 1

We used to put ourselves on a "bump list" whenever we flew....we got free first class seats for 5 flights to California from the east coast by doing that. It was awesome. Cruise lines should offer the same. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

I don't understand why people are questioning whether the letter was real.  It looks like a picture of a piece of paper taken with a camera, not an email.  Probably a quick letter generated on scene.  Not a form letter for an uncommon situation. For what purpose would someone create that letter if it didn't come from NCL? 

Could be a picture of a printed email LOL.

A letter created on the scene should still have margins aligned and probably wouldn't come from "Guest Experience"

He gave no details about when he was notified (I read his original post on another site). No mention of the fact that he would have had to sit in the terminal and wait until everyone had boarded - in the event that there was a no-show. Why would they send him away any earlier?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roddy good boy said:

But, do you think the original passenger just quietly slunk away, after he was denied boarding? He more than likely made quite a scene. I’m pretty sure that everyone in the boarding area was talking about it. Which is curious that more people didn’t report on it. 

Logistically, I would guess all the other passengers had already boarded LOL.

Why on earth would NCL tell this passenger that there was no room until they knew that everyone booked had arrived? I'm guessing that there are no-shows on nearly every cruise. So NCL has no idea of whether or not there will be a cabin until after the final check-in time.

As to asking for volunteers - again, they don't know for certain that they have an issue until everyone has boarded. At the airport, they know in advance how many people to expect because people have checked-in/gone through TSA prior to arriving at the gate, they know you are somewhere in the airport at least.

I have zero reason to believe this not true.  Most ships have been going out over capacity.  Plus - given the VAST publicity on this one - if it was not true we would have heard from NCL.

Also - the total cruise fare was $521. there is no free cruise here - they got a credit for what they paid and then a bump for the same amount - do you think you can buy an inside single cabin for under $1000 with port fees and other charges these days except last minute?  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, erisajd said:

I have zero reason to believe this not true.  Most ships have been going out over capacity.  Plus - given the VAST publicity on this one - if it was not true we would have heard from NCL.

Also - the total cruise fare was $521. there is no free cruise here - they got a credit for what they paid and then a bump for the same amount - do you think you can buy an inside single cabin for under $1000 with port fees and other charges these days except last minute?  

Evidently, one can get  a cruise for that price.  After all, the passenger in question was able to do so.  

The fact that ships sail over capacity has nothing to do with this.  Those over capacities have to do with third/fourth passenges and do not indicate there were cabins available.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, erisajd said:

Still waiting for you to post links to the "VAST" publicity on this one. A withdrawn post on Reddit, reiteration of the withdrawn Reddit post, a withdrawn F_B post, and a discussion on CC, based on the withdrawn Reddit post isn't exactly vast.  My search on the subject came up with exactly 1 which is based solely on the Reddit post.

And no, if it wasn't true, NCL wouldn't add to any publicity by making a statement, especially since the original posts are gone. They might however insist that the posts be taken down...

On 5/27/2024 at 5:18 PM, Ellis1138 said:

Unfortunately, it is legit, but rare. It's one of the risks of a GTY cabin. 

yes I agree, I would never book a guaranteed room as I want one that I select and control the booking.

Trying to save some money can backfire and a lot of times the GTY rooms are not in good locations.  If story is true, to turn away someone at the dock is horrible.  I am sure there must be some room somewhere even if they had to give them a low level deck where some crew stay. Anything but leaving them off the ship.  

• Like 2

Any withdrawn posts could be because the person's name (which I suppose could be fake) was on the letter that is now posted here on CC even if it was withdrawn elsewhere.  Do we know what time the person was denied boarding (was it after everyone else checked in)?  I don't have any reason to believe someone would take the time to come up with that story and draft a letter like that if it wasn't legit, just for "drama".  NCL can do wrong.  Mistakes happen.

6 minutes ago, SomewhereGirl said:

Any withdrawn posts could be because the person's name (which I suppose could be fake) was on the letter that is now posted here on CC even if it was withdrawn elsewhere.  Do we know what time the person was denied boarding (was it after everyone else checked in)?  I don't have any reason to believe someone would take the time to come up with that story and draft a letter like that if it wasn't legit, just for "drama".  NCL can do wrong.  Mistakes happen.

The person named on the letter posted under the same F_B name as on the letter. And continued to post, even after the original posts and letter were deleted - presumably by the OP.

No, as of now, when the person that was denied boarding has not been disclosed. Which is a red flag. I don't recall any mention of him having to wait around just to find out he wasn't boarding (which I certainly would have included with my list of "wrongs" had this happened to me). Just a mention of NCL not offering to pay for his taxi back to the airport.

Yes, mistakes do happen. Sure NCL, just like anyone, can make mistakes. And they can usually be rectified without drama. And yes, people do make up stories for attention. Their 15 minutes of fame.

On 5/27/2024 at 5:32 PM, The Traveling Man said:

Perhaps I have a different understanding of the meaning of the word "guaranteed."

My son booked a truck for a food delivery for a food pantry. And then he unfortunately learned that guaranteed does not really mean the truck will be available.

29 minutes ago, julig22 said:

No, as of now, when the person that was denied boarding has not been disclosed. Which is a red flag. I don't recall any mention of him having to wait around just to find out he wasn't boarding (which I certainly would have included with my list of "wrongs" had this happened to me). Just a mention of NCL not offering to pay for his taxi back to the airport.

Correction - He has stated

"I was notified when I got to the check in desk at the port"

and in response to a ?? regarding others

"It happened to a couple who traveled all the way from Europe. They decided to wait until final boarding, so I don't know if they made it onboard. I was so upset that I needed to get away from the port or I would have probably been arrested for disorderly conduct if I had stayed"

Posted (edited)

Regarding fares.....this was over a year ago.  But, NCL was selling out ships then, too.  So, fares can be had.  This one's a GTY.

I have cruised a lot and for a long time.  I have never heard of any ship, on any line, being oversold (like airlines).  In other words, GTY cabin or not, there was a cabin assigned for every one who booked.

INVOICE #: 146155  Important Terms & Conditions

Cruise $ 590.50
Add-ons $ -263.50
Taxes & Fees $ 226.00
Total Amount (USD) $ 553.00
Total Paid $ 553.00
Paid in Full

American Express Platinum Perks will be added by NCL. Invoice will be updated once confirmed by NCL.
Please pre-register at www.ncl.com to obtain your electronic boarding documents.

CRUISE DETAILS

Cruise Line NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE
Ship NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY
Itinerary 7 NIGHT CANADA & NEW ENGLAND - NEW YORK
Start Date 10/30/2022 (7 Nights) 
Dining Open
Category / Cabin No. MB - CLUB BALCONY SUITE / NO. GTY 
Cruise Line Res # 50090805 
Edited by graphicguy

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

My son booked a truck for a food delivery for a food pantry. And then he unfortunately learned that guaranteed does not really mean the truck will be available.

My world view on this subject was shaped 59 years ago when I joined a fraternity.  Part of the initiation ceremony included this injunction:

You know that the young man whose word is as good as his bond, who can be absolutely relied upon to fulfill his promises, if humanly possible, enjoys the esteem and confidence of all good men.

I always have tried to live by that, never making a promise to do something unless I was willing to commit myself totally to fulfilling that obligation.  Not just when it was convenient, not just when it was easy, and not just when it meant that the odds were in my favor.  Winston Churchill possibly said it best during the Battle of Britain, "Sometimes it is not enough to do our best; we must do what is required."

Edited by The Traveling Man
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

Any withdrawn posts could be because the person's name (which I suppose could be fake) was on the letter that is now posted here on CC even if it was withdrawn elsewhere.  

I keep looking and can't find the letter posted on CC ??

3 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Try post #16 or #80 on this thread. 

Thanks!  I was reading too fast and thought the letter in #80 was the example of what it would look like.  (Long day!  I need a nap!!)

20 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

I don't have any reason to believe someone would take the time to come up with that story and draft a letter like that if it wasn't legit, just for "drama".  

You must not ever read social media. 

I think of NCL requested it be taken down to receive more compensation he would at least say that NCL made things right.  

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 9:04 AM, G-DawgMN said:

I'm starting the question the legitimacy of the post, it's been deleted on Reddit by the author, and I also saw that same post on Facebook, and it's seems to be deleted also.

But if it was true, besides the full refund/FCC I would have been asking for reimbursement of my flights/hotel/food.

We once had an issue with an airline and I posted on Twitter with the @airline mentioned. The airline sent me a DM, we got the refund and they asked me to remove the Tweet. I did.

Perhaps NCL asked the person in question to do so.

Edited by DrUrsula
  • Like 3

On 5/29/2024 at 3:39 PM, julig22 said:

Correction - He has stated

"I was notified when I got to the check in desk at the port"

and in response to a ?? regarding others

"It happened to a couple who traveled all the way from Europe. They decided to wait until final boarding, so I don't know if they made it onboard. I was so upset that I needed to get away from the port or I would have probably been arrested for disorderly conduct if I had stayed"

The statement makes zero sense. Right???

You are not denied boarding until 100% of the rooms have checked in at the port and those passengers have been scanned onto the ship. Something is pretty fishy here!

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 1:10 PM, erisajd said:

I have zero reason to believe this not true.  Most ships have been going out over capacity.  

I think that almost all ships are sailing well over capacity. BUT,,, that has nothing to do with denying boarding. 

On our recent cruise on the Norwegian Encore, we had 4600 passengers (Encore has a max capacity of 3998). The week before, the Encore had slightly more than 4600 passengers. On our recent cruise on the Norwegian Joy, we had 4300 passenger (Joy has a max capacity of 3883). 

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2024 at 1:10 PM, erisajd said:

I have zero reason to believe this not true.  Most ships have been going out over capacity.

42 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I think that almost all ships are sailing well over capacity. BUT,,, that has nothing to do with denying boarding. 

On our recent cruise on the Norwegian Encore, we had 4600 passengers (Encore has a max capacity of 3998). The week before, the Encore had slightly more than 4600 passengers. On our recent cruise on the Norwegian Joy, we had 4300 passenger (Joy has a max capacity of 3883). 

I keep seeing references to ships sailing "over capacity" in posts here, but this terminology does not accurately reflect the meaning of the capacity numbers listed on NCL's website or elsewhere on the internet.  Those numbers, such as 3,776, 3,802, 3,804, 3,852, or 3,883 for the Joy, are just double occupancy numbers, not actual maximum passenger capacity.  The Norwegian Joy's maximum passenger capacity is actually 4,992.  In April, we were on the Joy with ~4,600 passengers, and the next week, they were booked for about 4,900.  That does not mean, in either case, they have oversold cabins in the same way that an airline may do so.

Edited by Kortehgehn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3