Beverage package

Wirewalker

16 minutes ago, ssawjo said:

Thanks, that looks pretty reasonable for sure.  What about a gin and tonic? We usually have them before dinner.

1. Take a bottle of gin out of your frig and pour into a glass with some ice from your ice bucket.

2. Take a bottle of tonic out of your frig and add to step 1.

3. Squeeze in a piece of lime you got from a bar/room service/etc.

4. Enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, duquephart said:

1. Take a bottle of gin out of your frig and pour into a glass with some ice from your ice bucket.

2. Take a bottle of tonic out of your frig and add to step 1.

3. Squeeze in a piece of lime you got from a bar/room service/etc.

4. Enjoy.

Great idea but we also like to sit at a bar and meet fellow guests and chit chat with the bartenders.  

2 minutes ago, ssawjo said:

Great idea but we also like to sit at a bar and meet fellow guests and chit chat with the bartenders.  

5. Take completed drink to bar.

6. Purchase more as needed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, duquephart said:

5. Take completed drink to bar.

6. Purchase more as needed.

That is a better idea.  Did not know that would be allowed.  Definitely frowned upon on other cruise lines.  We will doing our first Viking Ocean next year, that is why I am asking.  Would like to avoid buying a drink package if the cost of a cocktail is reasonable.  Thanks.

Edited by ssawjo
Additional information

41 minutes ago, ssawjo said:

Thanks, that looks pretty reasonable for sure.  What about a gin and tonic? We usually have them before dinner.

I believe most cocktails and mixed drinks are $8.50

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2024 at 7:39 PM, FetaCheese said:

Alcoholic drinks purchased individually on V, are in my opinion, very reasonably priced, compared to Philly bar/restaurant/hotel prices. Grat. also included in menu price.  

Reasonably priced but not strong. Based on ONE martini (I didn't have a drink package) two would be equivalent to a serious martini obtained on shore.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ssawjo said:

Did not know that would be allowed.  

Viking is very generous about this.  You can bring your own wine to dinner, without any corkage fee, and bars will happily supply ice and glasses if you want to bring in your own liquor and mixers.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ssawjo said:

This post from one of our helpful regulars is quite current and should help. As was mentioned, Viking's policy is very adult - you can bring whatever you like on board, drink it anywhere and they will provide glasses/mix etc. 🥌🍺

Edited by CurlerRob
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, duquephart said:

Every time I see that Mai Tai description my blood pressure goes up five points.

You should have Viking create and name your Mai Tai recipe after you!  Then we can all enjoy what would be the real thing.

22 hours ago, ssawjo said:

That is a better idea.  Did not know that would be allowed.  Definitely frowned upon on other cruise lines.  We will doing our first Viking Ocean next year, that is why I am asking.  Would like to avoid buying a drink package if the cost of a cocktail is reasonable.  Thanks.

Our friends have a bottle of gin in their cabin and they make the drink there and walk to whatever bar, lounge, or restaurant with the drink in their hand.  No issues with alcohol in any shape or form on a Viking ship.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CDNPolar said:

You should have Viking create and name your Mai Tai recipe after you!  Then we can all enjoy what would be the real thing.

Doesn't have to be the "real thing" - the isuue I have is that what Viking calls a Mai Tai is about as far as away from a Mai Tai as you can get. Incredibly feeble attempt.

• Haha 1

We did not have the drink package on our cruise, but enjoyed the wines with dinner and lunch.  When their choice of wine was subpar for me, I simply walked back to the cabin to fill my glass with the wine they supplied in our fridge (suite) that I liked, and took that to dinner.  😉 

2 hours ago, hutch1994 said:

And this is one of the reasons that people who would like to purchase a pre dinner cocktail can't get a seat in the living room or the explorer's lounge.

hmmmm..... never experienced this, however we are known for walking right up to the bar ordering our drink then we will walk the stairs to deck 3 atrium and sit there.  Less crowded.

CDNPolar   the is what we usually do because service can be very slow on upper level of Explorer's...  I also usually take a glass of wine or the rest of my cocktail  with me to the dining room so I have a drink while looking at the menu....seems that wait staff is very efficient at serving included wines but SLOW if you want something else.  This keeps me from caring about that!

• Like 1

On our cruise we had the beverage package.   For pre-dinner cocktails, we found it was best to go to the bar to get our drinks as our choices were not limited by the alcohol that we had brought onboard.   We would then sit at a table on whatever deck we chose in the atrium.  We preferred to be away from the music as we wanted to have a conversation while we enjoyed our drinks.  Bar service was very slow on the higher decks; however, once our drinks were ordered, they were usually delivered to our table rather than us carrying them ourselves.  The lower levels of the atrium were often filled with passengers who wanted to listen to the music, who were playing cards/games (including at the games tables), and groups of passengers who appeared to have been at the bar for an extended period of time and were obviously enjoying the camaraderie.  From what I saw, I don't think people taking their own drinks had any impact on crowding and bar service on our cruise.  Of course, each cruise is different so YMMV.

• Like 1

I know everyone here touts Viking's policy of allowing passenger liquor onboard to be consumed wherever. On our Viking river cruise my son-in law ask and was told not to bring his single malt scotch out of his room.  Not even already poured in a glass. Don't know by whom as I was not there but he stayed in his room to have his drinks.

3 hours ago, philw1776 said:

I know everyone here touts Viking's policy of allowing passenger liquor onboard to be consumed wherever. On our Viking river cruise my son-in law ask and was told not to bring his single malt scotch out of his room.  Not even already poured in a glass. Don't know by whom as I was not there but he stayed in his room to have his drinks.

This might have more to do with local liquor laws than Viking policy. I remember reading about one port that required the bars on the ship be closed. The archaic law was on the books to prevent the longshoremen from drinking on the job. 

Policies of Viking River may differ from Viking Ocean. I know both allow you to bring your own and there is no corkage fee. Maybe hard liquor is a different animal and falls under different regulations?

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

21 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

This might have more to do with local liquor laws than Viking policy. I remember reading about one port that required the bars on the ship be closed. The archaic law was on the books to prevent the longshoremen from drinking on the job. 

Policies of Viking River may differ from Viking Ocean. I know both allow you to bring your own and there is no corkage fee. Maybe hard liquor is a different animal and falls under different regulations?

No, the policy is for all ships, but sometimes local law intervenes. The answer is a non see through tumbler, or drinking something that looks innocent.

That sparkling water isn't actually gin and tonic

• Like 2