Odyssey and the Key, Quick Question

Hi.

My dh and I will be on the Odyssey in April 2025 from Bayonne.
I was thinking of purchasing the Key so I don't have to stress about boarding group (we will arrive and go on

in one of the earlier groups, we are also Diamond) and can have a relaxing lunch on embarkation.

I thought I read on here that the Key also includes complimentary room service but I do not see that listed 

as one of the perks when I go to purchase.

Does anyone have any experience with above?

Thank you.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, js said:

As is the usual recommendation, unless you were going to buy a Voom package and it’s close in price to that then Key might make sense.
For the couple of issues you mentioned, it probably doesn’t (no discount on room service). You can probably buy lunch at a specialty venue on boarding day and Voom for less than Key. 

Edited by Biker19

Even if you need two internet connections, a one person/two device plan is usually cheaper than buying two single person plans.  And with the Key you will be buying that.  Key has to be bought for all guests in the room.  Will you use other features, like priority time on the flowrider?

Thank you both.

No, we won't be using the Flowrider and not even sure we will use the internet package.
We have adult children so we just give them the phone of the ship in emergency and then

call them to say hi when we are in port(s).

We usually sail NCL Haven, but had a lot of BoNY OBC and a really great TA group rate, didn't have to fly and decided to get back on RCCL for a change of pace. However, we are tying to do Haven Lite on RCCL LOL

Maybe I'll just purchase a lunch for embarkation. Is the MDR open for lunch for everyone?

I guess I was only purchasing for not having to stress about an early arrival time and room service LOL I'll just stay up at midnight (if that is when I can chose an arrival time when opens) and be done with it.

Thank you both again very much!

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

The MDR is not open to all passengers on embarkation day.

Ahhh, thank you. So if I got the key, I could pay for MDR lunch and early embarkation. So if I don't want to purchase a specialty for lunch, my only other options are buffet and solarium is this correct?

I just now thinking not sure if I wanted to pay for a specialty for lunch since we will have dinner each night in one, but maybe for the ease of lunch and embarkation.

We enjoy being disconnected from our cell on cruises. 

Edited by js

1 minute ago, js said:

Ahhh, thank you. So if I got the key, I could pay for MDR lunch and early embarkation. 

I just now thinking not sure if I wanted to pay for a specialty for lunch since we will have dinner each night in one, but maybe for the ease of lunch and embarkation.

IMO, it makes absolutely no sense to purchase the key for a MDR lunch and embarkation.  But, you can do whatever you choose.

From want I've experienced only the earliest check-in time is no longer available at 8 AM the morning when check in opens.  Also note that the earliest check in times may have to wait to board while the next times may not have to wait.

7 minutes ago, js said:

Ahhh, thank you. So if I got the key, I could pay for MDR lunch and early embarkation. So if I don't want to purchase a specialty for lunch, my only other options are buffet and solarium is this correct?

Just an FYI, I cruise on RCI 1-2 times every month. It has been well over a year now since any port I have cruised from has verified check-in times. So if you are buying the Key for an early embarkation, keep in mind a lot of people like you will show up earlier than their check-in time without paying anything extra. You will be able to use the Suite/Key entrance, which might save you 10 minutes or so. But if everyone in a Suite/Key shows up early at the same time, you might not save any time at all. Normally a few speciality restaurants are open for lunch on embarkation day. 

3 hours ago, js said:

Hi.

I was thinking of purchasing the Key so I don't have to stress about boarding group (we will arrive and go on

in one of the earlier groups, we are also Diamond) and can have a relaxing lunch on embarkation.

I thought I read on here that the Key also includes complimentary room service but I do not see that listed 

Thank you.

Sailed out of Bayonne 3 weeks ago and no one payed any attention to the boarding time.  We were on board shortly after 10:30am

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

IMO, it makes absolutely no sense to purchase the key for a MDR lunch and embarkation.  But, you can do whatever you choose.

From want I've experienced only the earliest check-in time is no longer available at 8 AM the morning when check in opens.  Also note that the earliest check in times may have to wait to board while the next times may not have to wait.

Thank you very much. I'm guessing I just won't purchase.

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Just an FYI, I cruise on RCI 1-2 times every month. It has been well over a year now since any port I have cruised from has verified check-in times. So if you are buying the Key for an early embarkation, keep in mind a lot of people like you will show up earlier than their check-in time without paying anything extra. You will be able to use the Suite/Key entrance, which might save you 10 minutes or so. But if everyone in a Suite/Key shows up early at the same time, you might not save any time at all. Normally a few speciality restaurants are open for lunch on embarkation day. 

Thank you. Yes, I don't remember ever being asked about our check in time but we also usually sail NCL Haven so don't worry about setting it up. I think I am not going to purchase.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Sailed out of Bayonne 3 weeks ago and no one payed any attention to the boarding time.  We were on board shortly after 10:30am

Wow! 10:30 am, that is absolutely fabulous!

6 hours ago, js said:

Hi.

Thank you.

The free room service was a perk of the Key for a while right after ships started sailing again after Covid, but it no longer is.

15 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Time flies, it was April 28 we sailed and returned May 5.  

I just wasn't sure if we were on the same sailing and I didn't know it. I don't usually join the rollcalls on here anymore unless there is someone I want to meet.  🙂 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 3:44 PM, Merion_Mom said:

The free room service was a perk of the Key for a while right after ships started sailing again after Covid, but it no longer is.

Thank you so much!