Rhine River Cruise Souvenirs

Greek50

Sailing on the Rhine from Basel to Amsterdam with two days before in Lucerne and two days after in Amsterdam (all through Viking). First river cruise-avid ocean cruisers. I am trying to figure out how much room to leave in our suitcases for souvenirs. We are planning on purchasing a cuckoo clock and having it shipped back from the Black Forest. Our stops are: Cologne, Koblenz, Rudesheim, Speyer, Strasbourg, Kinderdijk, and Breisach. What types of other "must-have quality" souvenirs do people typically bring back from a Rhine River Cruise? Given this stage in our lives I am more of a minimalist-don't need to accumulate more stuff-would rather spend our $ on experiences. I am trying to decide if both of us should check a bag or check one between the two of us. The one between the two of us is currently 3/4 full-it's the maximum size allowed. Should I bring a second checked bag the next size down which would basically start the trip empty? Yikes-we leave for the airport in 15 hours-thanks in advance for your input.

14 hours ago, Greek50 said:

Given this stage in our lives I am more of a minimalist-don't need to accumulate more stuff-would rather spend our $ on experiences. I am trying to decide if both of us should check a bag or check one between the two of us. The one between the two of us is currently 3/4 full-it's the maximum size allowed. Should I bring a second checked bag the next size down which would basically start the trip empty? Yikes-we leave for the airport in 15 hours-thanks in advance for your input.

Our souvenirs are photos.  Some good ones we splurge and get printed on canvas so we can hang them on the walls to view everyday. Good idea to get the clock shipped back as they will properly pack it and hopefully it will arrive intact.

As to packing, we take carry on sized bags but check them for convenience - no running around an airport dragging them, our personal bags are back packs so much easier. I pack in vacuum bags, and a few cubes. I'll pack 1/2 of my clothes and 1/2 of my husbands in each bag/cube, then split them amongst the 2 cases. That way if one gets "misplaced", each of us have at least 1/2 of a wardrobe until the other bag catches up. In one of our knapsacks, I'll pack a cube with tops, undies etc. just in case both get lost we have a couple of days worth. We usually have quick drying tops so they can easily be washed in the room and will be dry by the next day.

Enjoy your cruise, and don't sweat the small stuff.

I have cruised these places more than once but have bought no souvenirs. If you must have a reminder then fridge magnets will recall a place every time you go to the fridge, weigh little and take hardly any space in suitcases and don't need a shelf when you get home.

I set photo's from my last cruise as backgrounds on my computer, with the pictures changing every day. Great reminder!

• Like 1

Christmas ornaments are really nice.

For me it is always fridge magnets, but I also collect tea towels in England. Do not see many nice ones in Germany, but my Alsatian ones with stork and wine bottles on remind me of a nice trip to the area.

4 hours ago, pontac said:

I set photo's from my last cruise as backgrounds on my computer, with the pictures changing every day. Great reminder!

I did that for some years, even did a gallery setting for the screen saver every few minutes.

You can get small bottles of alcohol and I do like the special peach liqueur (Weinbergspfirsichlikör) from the Moselle and Middle Rhine valley. A bit difficult to get, best place may be Koblenz.

Chocolates, biscuits, guglhupf (spelling?) from Alsace.

Greek50, have a great trip.

notamermaid

We like to find a distinctive Christmas decoration from each country. It's lovely remembering the holidays we've had as we decorate the tree at Christmas. 

Also fridge magnets. We've got some lovely, unusual ones. Hand made and painted ceramic ones are my favourites.

On 5/30/2024 at 9:43 PM, notamermaid said:

You can get small bottles of alcohol

Small?😒

I take home bottles of wine from wineries visited along the way, recently Chateau Neuf du Pape from the Rhone cruise and a Red Riesling from the Mosel. Although they're souvenirs and reminders, they are soon opened and drunk so I didn't think they met the OPs  definition.

4 hours ago, pontac said:

Small?😒

Well... I was just thinking the small bottles would fit better in a suitcase and be more convenient when flying. :classic_smile: Of course, the OP can fill a suitcase with goodies to the brim if they like. :classic_wink:

Talking of wine, the Edelzwicker can be really good in Alsace and I am a fan of Gewürztraminer. In the touristy places they may be happy for the OP to select bottles and ship them. Not just in Alsace.

notamermaid

We’ve never shipped wine home from a river cruise but we have from Stellenbosch South Africa and our surprise find in Canada. When we’ve found something we like on a cruise we take all the details and get one of our wine suppliers to get it for us we’ve only been let down once. It saves luggage space.

Our criteria for souvenirs/gifts are lightweight and not easily breakable.   That gets us to cloth (knit, crochet, embroidered, tatted, or clothing) and wood. 

• Like 1