Buying Plus Onboard

di234

Hi All,

I was told if you buy the Plus package on board, they add 18%. Bring it to $70.80 a day. Anybody know if this is true? I have onboard credit but don’t want to pay extra for it. Thank you, 

Diane

Posted (edited)

Buying Plus onboard is the exact same cost as buying it in advance. I will be buying onboard on our next cruises as one doesn't end up paying extra on the cruise insurance like they do if buying in advance. I will also be using discounted Princess gift cards from AARP for an 8% saving on the price. If some clown tried to add an extra 18% onto the cost I would be speaking with a supervisor right quick.

Edited by Thrak
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, di234 said:

Hi All,

I was told if you buy the Plus package on board, they add 18%. Bring it to $70.80 a day. Anybody know if this is true? I have onboard credit but don’t want to pay extra for it. Thank you, 

Diane

You may be confusing the standalone beverage packages where the 18% is added.

The Plus and Premier bundles(bev, WiFi, crew appreciation )do NOT have additional charges.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 18% is included as part of the $60/day cost, not additional. When you order a beverage covered by the package there is no additional per beverage service charge. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Thrak said:

I will also be using discounted Princess gift cards from AARP for an 8% saving on the price

On my upcoming cruise, I called to add Premium to our third guest’s itinerary and they just added it to my booking and it bumped up my balance due. They didn’t require payment over the phone. So since my balance was increased, I was able to use AARP GCs to pay for the package along with the rest of my fare. I assume that the same would be true if you booked without a package and called (or chatted) to add one later. 

Edited by JimmyVWine

18 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

On my upcoming cruise, I called to add Premium to our third guest’s itinerary and they just added it to my booking and it bumped up my balance due. They didn’t require payment over the phone. So since my balance was increased, I was able to use AARP GCs to pay for the package along with the rest of my fare. I assume that the same would be true if you booked without a package and called (or chatted) to add one later. 

That works great if you're not using Princess insurance. If you do use Princess insurance then it will increase your fare by 9% or 12% depending on what level of insurance you booked. I just take my ARP cards and add to my OBC to purchase onboard.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

That works great if you're not using Princess insurance. If you do use Princess insurance then it will increase your fare by 9% or 12% depending on what level of insurance you booked. I just take my ARP cards and add to my OBC to purchase onboard.

On my cruise last October, I was glad I booked Premier in advance and paid the increased Princess Vacation Protection. DW and I were isolated with COVID for the last three days of a 12-day cruise. We received a refund for one third the cost of the cruise from Princess Vacation Protection for our days in isolation. Since the Premier cost was part of the cruise fare, we received the refund for one third of that cost too - even though I was ordering alcoholic drinks with OceanNow while confined to my cabin.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

DW and I were isolated with COVID for the last three days of a 12-day cruise. We received a refund for one third the cost of the cruise

That's a chance one has to take these days. The math for us works out to:

32days x $120.00( Plus for both ) = $3840.00 x 12% ( our fare category doesn't get free ins upgrade) = $460.80

Paid with AARP cards in fare payment= $4300- $344= $3956

Plus- $3840- (AARP 8%) $307= $ 3533.00      Savings by booking onboard= $423.00

I'll roll the dice on getting Covid.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

I paid for 63 days of cruising and a transpacific flight using nothing but Princess gift cards. Plus was booked from day 1.

7 hours ago, Yehootu said:

Exactly why I plan to add the package onboard. I have no desire to pay increased insurance due to having Plus on my cruise from the start. Paying onboard also breaks up the payment a bit as I can pay for the cruise in full just before final payment date and then not have to pay for Plus until we actually sail.

On our last cruise it took me two different people at customer service to be able to add a Princess gift card to my account as OBC. The first one said she didn't know how and I would need to speak with her coworker. (This is after waiting through a fairly long line to get to the counter.) She then proceeded to handle issues for two more people without ever speaking to her coworker about my issue. (I had zero interest in simply moving to the back of an even longer line in order to get to one of her coworkers who may well have also had no idea what to do with a gift card.) I got a bit peeved and commented on her complete lack of service at which point she seemed surprised and got her coworker to help me. Pretty poor customer service.

Edited by Thrak