Requested dinner reservations

Lojay2

14 minutes ago, ORV said:

I did check the Private option and all were 9pm. Good luck with that. I'm thinking the early 2 tops on the R ships go to the Owner's, Vista, and a few lucky PH's. Certainly more chance on the O ships, but more people in front of you to. 

YET, if this is strictly TRUE, then there should be NO reservations available morning of for 2 at the early times, yet I've seen those in high-level cabins claim such tables for 2 are made available for them. That's my biggest concern. Tables are kept empty for those high-level cabins.

46 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

YET, if this is strictly TRUE, then there should be NO reservations available morning of for 2 at the early times, yet I've seen those in high-level cabins claim such tables for 2 are made available for them. That's my biggest concern. Tables are kept empty for those high-level cabins.

Well, that's the way you see it, unfortunately for you that's not the way it works. I personally have no problem with that concept. If I want more I'll spend more, but I'm ok with spending less and getting what I get. 

Reminds me of the old saying; "Life is like a poop sandwich, the more bread you have the easier it is to eat", or something like that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

Well, that's the way you see it, unfortunately for you that's not the way it works....

One starts by READING what O says about their own processes and procedures and whether they tell cruisers up front that some animals are more secretly equal than others. I have NO problem if O wants to state what it actually does. But I do have a problem when I'm LIED to and deliberately so, all to potentially benefit one class over another.

BUT as we BOTH know, what O says and what O allows are often two different things. So...

"No reserving loungers and like by the pool" means "Reserve away, including maybe tipping some crew member to help you reserve what you want."

And I LAUGH in the terminal at embarkation as I lug my beer, hard liquor and wine on board. That "6 bottles of wine"! Too damn funny about that falsehood. And then stocking up on same throughout the cruise. My cabin looking like a beer/wine/liquor store at the mid-point.

Just now, gilmore177 said:

Went to the reservations desk twice a day and it did absolutely nothing.  Seemed like only upgraded rooms from concierge on had more choices. 

And most nights the tables were not filled. Just gave up 

Anecdote and maybe just a string of coincidences - on our recent 10 day Vista cruise in a B3 we had 3 sharing reservations, one solo, and one bonus shared specialty (embarkation day). Every single shared reservation ended up being just the 2 of us.

Previous cruises I'd guess 1 or 2 out of 4 shared reservations ended up being by ourselves.

So if you are dedicated introverts, it might not be as scary as you think! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We were able to make our Dinner reservations last night. The times available when I first looked were 6:30, 7:30, and 8:30. I chose 6:30. We then decided that was pretty early. I changed to 7:30. The interesting thing is that 8:00 was now available. Kept wondering if I tried a 3rd time, maybe 7:00 would be available. These times were for all of the nights.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

One starts by READING what O says about their own processes and procedures and whether they tell cruisers up front that some animals are more secretly equal than others. I have NO problem if O wants to state what it actually does. But I do have a problem when I'm LIED to and deliberately so, all to potentially benefit one class over another

• Here's some reading as to their processes and procedures, it's plain as day that they tell you right up front, SPEND MORE, GET MORE. As far as being deliberately lied to, I have no idea what you're going on about with that. I don't understand your beef. 

• Owner’s Suite, Vista Suite and Oceania Suite 
    Advance reservations may be made on the date final payment is due and has been received until 7 days prior to sailing, which varies between 90 and 150 days, depending on length of sailing. 
  • Penthouse Suite 
    Reservations may be made 75-7 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full.
  • Concierge Level Veranda 
    Reservations may be made 60-7 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full
  •  
  • Marina, Riviera, Vista and Allura

Owner’s Suite, Vista Suite, and Oceania Suite 
Cruises 7 days or less: 1 reservation at each restaurant 
Cruises 8-17 days: 2 reservations at each restaurant 
Cruises 18 days or more: 3 reservations at each restaurant 

Penthouse Suite 
Cruises 17 days or less: 1 reservation at each restaurant 
Cruises 18 days or more: 2 reservations at each restaurant 

Concierge Level Veranda, Veranda, Ocean View, and Inside Stateroom 
All cruises: 1 reservation at each restaurant 

Insignia, Nautica, Regatta and Sirena 
Concierge Level Veranda and above 
Cruises 7 days or less: 1 reservation at each restaurant 
Cruises 8-17 days: 2 reservations at each restaurant 
Cruises 18 days or more: 3 reservations at each restaurant 

All other categories 
Cruises 17 days or less: 1 reservation at each restaurant 
Cruises 18 days or more: 2 reservations at each restauran

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Next up, I've seen it mentioned multiple times about going by the restaurant and seeing empty seats. I really shouldn't have to explain this, but I'll try. 

For those that have trouble with seeing empty tables when they happen to go by and think they have openings, mull this concept over. 

Let's say there are 25 tables in Polo, if they fill all those tables at the 6:30 slot and the average dining time is approximately 90 minutes where are they going to seat those that have a 7pm, 7:30pm or 8pm reservation?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Good luck! That 7 PM slot is rarely seen when I reserve. But it's ok, food tastes the same as it does at 7! 

2 hours ago, SATaxman said:

We were able to make our Dinner reservations last night. The times available when I first looked were 6:30, 7:30, and 8:30. I chose 6:30. We then decided that was pretty early. I changed to 7:30. The interesting thing is that 8:00 was now available. Kept wondering if I tried a 3rd time, maybe 7:00 would be available. These times were for all of the nights.

3 hours ago, SATaxman said:

The interesting thing is that 8:00 was now available

Is it possible that others had done exactly what you'd done, changing their original time, so some 8pm slots were now freed up? 

Other than that - a computer glitch? We know that O's system isnt the most robust you'll come across

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Here's some reading as to their processes and procedures, it's plain as day that they tell you right up front, SPEND MORE, GET MORE.

It does seem somewhat contradictory when a person who doesn't see the value of higher level/higher priced staterooms complains that those higher level/higher priced staterooms get more benefits.🤔

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Seems to me some here confuse open dining to set dining. Oceania employs open dining and seats people, in the Specialties, according to an assume number the wait staff and kitchen staff can professionally handle. Unlike in a set dining environment, Oceania’s kitchens are not set up to do 100 appetizers at one time, then 100 salads, etc. They purposely leave tables open so to serve 40 app, then 20 apps & 40 salads; then 20 apps, 20 salads & 40 main courses. Etc. Different chefs taking care of different responsibilities. 

Adding to this is Oceania doesn’t employ the proverbial “ flip that table “ scheme so often witnessed in the States. That routine is employed to get make numbers through the restaurant in typically less than one hour max. While realizing the “ flip that table” method is indeed popular with many Americans, it’s not how Oceania does it.

Bottom line, on Oceania like many established fine dining restaurants, one will regularly see empty tables by design.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Harters said:

Is it possible that others had done exactly what you'd done, changing their original time, so some 8pm slots were now freed up? 

Other than that - a computer glitch? We know that O's system isnt the most robust you'll come across

Your second choice sounds more likely. The sudden 8:00 availability was at all 4 restaurants every night.

4 hours ago, ORV said:

Next up, I've seen it mentioned multiple times about going by the restaurant and seeing empty seats. I really shouldn't have to explain this, but I'll try. 

For those that have trouble with seeing empty tables when they happen to go by and think they have openings, mull this concept over. 

Let's say there are 25 tables in Polo, if they fill all those tables at the 6:30 slot and the average dining time is approximately 90 minutes where are they going to seat those that have a 7pm, 7:30pm or 8pm reservation?

Pretty dumb proof IMneverHO. On land or at sea, all the same.

7 minutes ago, clo said:

Pretty dumb proof IMneverHO. On land or at sea, all the same.

Not sure what you're saying. You mean you don't understand? It's not real hard. 

• Haha 1

Just now, ORV said:

Not sure what you're saying. You mean you don't understand? It's not real hard. 

Nope. I meant that it's pretty hard to NOT understand.

22 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

. My cabin looking like a beer/wine/liquor store at the mid-point.

Can I come over? 😄  I can't reserve yet, but when I do, I will take what I can get.  Newbies here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

Were you aware of that when you arrived, or were you sitting at the table waiting for others ?

Has happened to us too many times. Usually waiter came over and said we would be dining alone and removed the other place settings.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Were you aware of that when you arrived, or were you sitting at the table waiting for others ?

And @Vallesan too. 

In each case we were informed when we presented ourselves at the check-in podium - no waiting. Of course our cruise was not 100% full, iirc 1050/1200 or so. 

Edited by babysteps
  • Thanks 1

Very energetic and scintillating dining discussion.  Learned a lot about reservation intrigues, maddening manners, and class distinctions.  "Money talks."  (I use it myself.😁)  I appreciate the informants here.  We are life-long learners.