Queen Anne Naming Ceremony

safarigal

I have no idea who her Godparent will be but I think I have solved the mystery of breaking the champagne bottle.

There is a pulley that goes from just above the Commodore Club to the front of the ship. At the front of the ship there is a board that says Queen Anne June 2024.

Do you think that the bottle will be attached to the pulley and at the designated moment when the Godparent pushes the bottle or give a signal, the bottle will be released to go whizzing down the wire and smash into the board at the bottom, scattering glass in the designated area and not in the Mersey?

There seems to be a camera there waiting for something.

IMG_7222.jpeg

IMG_7226 2.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, safarigal said:

I have no idea who her Godparent will be but I think I have solved the mystery of breaking the champagne bottle.

There is a pulley that goes from just above the Commodore Club to the front of the ship. At the front of the ship there is a board that says Queen Anne June 2024.

Do you think that the bottle will be attached to the pulley and at the designated moment when the Godparent pushes the bottle or give a signal, the bottle will be released to go whizzing down the wire and smash into the board at the bottom, scattering glass in the designated area and not in the Mersey?

There seems to be a camera there waiting for something.

IMG_7222.jpeg

IMG_7226 2.jpeg

Let's hope so. The box would seem to be at least a Jeraboam which is a lot of glass. I wonder is some kind of glass scoring is involved before the smash!

• Like 1

There's a big lever on the left of the Cunard stage ashore, a bit like the old semaphore?? Levers the bridge used to use to communicate with the engine room probably a wireless link....or telephone..... Or flag........

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This is exactly the mechanism Carnival used on their newest ship and Arvia last year in Barbados.  It's apparently eco friendly and stops glass going in the water.  The Godparent pulls the lever and releases a computer signal onboard for go. It was quite weird watching Arvia as the bottle was released and eyes had to then.move to the big screen.

This was the guys setting it up at 6.00am in the wet!

20240603_061259.jpg

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, new to cuising said:

10607372.thumb.jpg.4d18541b15389007907a139983537cf9.jpgHere's the shore side lever

I doubt any Royal will be handling this - There are rumours up in Liverpool that it probably could be the already named Godmother that previously had a role at Fincantieri.

As a Godmother she is already a Godparent I would think ?  

It's standard practice to have somebody with links to the line or the shipbuilders stand as madrina between the launch and the official naming. For the Queen Anne, that's Roberta Mundula of the Fincantieri shipyard. For Queen Victoria, it was Cunard's Maureen Reynolds.

I'd be extremely surprised if Roberta Mundula were to continue in the role, especially considering the godmothers of the other Cunarders.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Summergee said:

With this being a big public event would it be published in the Royal Diary?

No, the published diary on the website is always summarised, and details get omitted for security reasons. So when HM the King meets a High Commissioner, for example, to accept their Letter of Credence to the Court of St. James, that won't appear in the published diary, but would appear the next day in the Court Circular.

10 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Godparent....

I can confirm.... it's nobody Royal... and most people will hate it.

I'm not allowed to mention what it is until 4pm. Strict embargo.

Oh dear, the mind boggles. Coleen Rooney?

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Godparent....

It's not Sporty Spice is it? I see someone spotted her on board and took a snap.

And with the Princess Royal scheduled to be in LIverpool yesterday, I had hoped it might be her.

11 minutes ago, jay1283 said:

Oh dear, the mind boggles. Coleen Rooney?

No but it's rather appropriate to my mind if my source is correct.

Personally, if correct, it's great

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Godparent....

Not strict enough  🙂

OOPS, Should have been quicker but didn't want to spoil anything.

Edited by Victoria2

1 minute ago, LittleFish1976 said:

It's not Sporty Spice is it? I see someone spotted her on board and took a snap.

I've put the full list on the other thread, but yes, Mel C is one the Five Icons representing the City of Liverpool as Godparent.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mumsey said:

What an anticlimax! 

I think I'm out of step but having witnessed the wonderful receptions the people of  Liverpool give Cunard ships when they visit on a port of call, and as Liverpool is the birthplace of Cunard, I think it rather appropriate to have the city as a Godmother/father.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I think I'm out of step but having witnessed the wonderful receptions the people of  Liverpool give Cunard ships when they visit on a port of call, and as Liverpool is the birthplace of Cunard, I think it rather appropriate to have the city as a Godmother/father.

As do I but I’m rather biased as a daughter of this wonderful city and now apparently as one of Annie’s godparents 😂

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry but totally underwhelmed, disappointing and a total farce. Whoever came up with that daft idea wouldn't be surprised if it was Paul Ludlow.

Pure speculation of course but this feels like something that would come out of an emergency brainstorm after Cunard was told last week it couldn’t have the royal it was expecting due to the Palace diary purge triggered by the election.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

Pure speculation of course but this feels like something that would come out of an emergency brainstorm after Cunard was told last week it couldn’t have the royal it was expecting due to the Palace diary purge triggered by the election.

Then the ceremony should have been postponed. 

I would think it is much more to do with the level of PR challenges in recent years. This is a pretty much future-proofed patronage, and one that I think fits the history of Cunard very well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Godparent....

The silence was palpable.  They haven't done her any favours!