Edge MDR Food

There’s lots on here about E-class Luminae and Blu menus with pictures, favorites, lack of favorites.  For the non suite ppl (I’m assuming DH and I must not be the only ones who can’t or choose not to pay retreat prices) anyone have good recommendations for MDR food?  Also, we are early dining by choice (like the same servers, time, etc) and have no idea which dining room/table we are assigned (I have inferred this will be in our room) but can these be changed by visiting the dining representative upon boarding.  I’m sure everyone has a request, but figure it’s worth trying for our first choice if that is a feasible option.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

There’s lots on here about E-class Luminae and Blu menus with pictures, favorites, lack of favorites.  For the non suite ppl (I’m assuming DH and I must not be the only ones who can’t or choose not to pay retreat prices) anyone have good recommendations for MDR food?  Also, we are early dining by choice (like the same servers, time, etc) and have no idea which dining room/table we are assigned (I have inferred this will be in our room) but can these be changed by visiting the dining representative upon boarding.  I’m sure everyone has a request, but figure it’s worth trying for our first choice if that is a feasible option.

Yes, you can certainly request same/time/table/servers and unless unforeseen circumstances, you will get what you requested.  Specific Food items are way too subjective for me to even comment on .

19 minutes ago, Liao said:

Yes, you can certainly request same/time/table/servers and unless unforeseen circumstances, you will get what you requested.  Specific Food items are way too subjective for me to even comment on .

Ha ha.  Thank you!  I feel as if someone might have a pile of photos somewhere…I just like to look/dream/etc.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Ha ha.  Thank you!  I feel as if someone might have a pile of photos somewhere…I just like to look/dream/etc.

I may have photos but it was from 2022, however I will be on Apex next month.

When I was on board I did early (unless late excursion) I tried all the rooms and then stuck with the one I liked most, I always had the same server.

• Like 1

We liked the baked Brie from Normandie and the short ribs from Cyprus. Also the millefeuille dessert from Normandie was good. We were able to order from any of the 4 menus. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Also, we are early dining by choice (like the same servers, time, etc) and have no idea which dining room/table we are assigned (I have inferred this will be in our room) but can these be changed by visiting the dining representative upon boarding.

I've yet to do the Edge-class ships, but I got the impression that with four DISTINCT style MDRs, it would be most fun (for me, at least) to try each first - ie four different restaurants, but therefore four different servers and tables but whatever time I liked).

So, for the experienced E-class cruisers, how does the MDRs song and dance play out?  Is it the same set time vs anytime decision? And do they divvy folks up randomly to one of the four MDR? Or is there some process where you pick all that stuff out ahead of time?  

Clearly, to me, the "simplicity" of one MDR on the M & S ships is that you can easily get in the rhythm you like - same servers, same times, same table even - but with four distinct MDRs, wouldn't it mean you "miss out" on options from the other three MDRs when choosing a default or "regular" one just to get the same servers?  I sort of get - from @barneyboy - that you could go to the same MDR every day, but order across the four different menus, but are the MDRs so similar that folks do that? Or is there real additional "value" to eating at a new MDR each night or rotating through them?

I do think folks here discuss the specialty spots a lot, but the E-class "basic" MDRs seem equally as interesting having never dealt with them yet.

• Like 1

We tend to stick with one of the 4  MDRs.  We do anytime dining and only make a reservation on the 1st night.  We generally eat between 8-8:30.  If we find a wait team we like ( waiter, assistant & sommelier) we advise the host what time we plan to be there the next night and request we be seated in that team’s section if possible.

As noted you can get all menu items in each of them so the difference is decor and staff.  

• Like 1

We were just on Edge for the TransPacific in April.  Food was very good and we ate at Tuscan every night.  We like the style of the Tuscan with the black & white decor.  We always got the same table for 2 with the same wait staff.  If you can sit with Alfredo (waiter) and his assistant Katon you will get wonderful service. The Sommelier Arial is very good in Tuscan as well.  You can order from any of the 4 MDR menus - either look at the app or ask for the menus.  

I have attached a few pictures.  We always ask for our French Onion Soup to be put under the broiler to ensure it is crispy on top and really hot.  The steak is accompanied by a piece of salmon with the hollandaise sauce.  They are 2 separate dinners on the menu, but you can ask to have the salmon added to your steak order if you like.  They are very accommodating.  

We enjoyed the company of a few passengers that came to Tuscan for dinner, who usually dined in Luminae but wanted to try the MDR and they quite enjoyed the food and atmosphere. 

I hope our wait staff is still on board if you want to sit at their table.  When is your cruise?

AF8D96FF-1CF9-4027-892A-458F09781B9D.thumb.jpeg.a1b4e0df5497420b9cd1b47c64c74b4c.jpeg0A23B057-36B7-4B08-8D9E-C0767DC8DF50.thumb.jpeg.452c196d0ca45de22c0fca0191f74903.jpegBB7D870D-CEAC-4BFA-947E-7047882562B6.thumb.jpeg.1630c4216b5b8bfce053ce5d544a3fa7.jpegDA061B89-FBEC-4C79-B611-A6A1D75EFA4E.thumb.jpeg.08ecc0af429aba51058a516df28691ea.jpeg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We tend to stick with one of the 4  MDRs.  We do anytime dining and only make a reservation on the 1st night.  We generally eat between 8-8:30.  If we find a wait team we like ( waiter, assistant & sommelier) we advise the host what time we plan to be there the next night and request we be seated in that team’s section if possible.

As noted you can get all menu items in each of them so the difference is decor and staff.  

This is exactly what we do as well and they are very accommodating.  The first couple of nights, you might have to wait for a table to open up in their area, but the wait is never very long. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jelayne said:

6 minutes ago, debfed65 said:

You can order from any of the 4 MDR menus - either look at the app or ask for the menus.  

So, are there essentially 4x the options of the M & S MDRs, or more like 2x as many?  

I assume you're all fairly familiar with the M & S MDR menu, where there is there are a few appetizers and a handful of rotating & regular entree options.  Is the E-class a noticeable larger selection of entrees (and maybe appetizers)?

28 minutes ago, debfed65 said:

We were just on Edge for the TransPacific in April.  Food was very good and we ate at Tuscan every night.  We like the style of the Tuscan with the black & white decor.  We always got the same table for 2 with the same wait staff.  If you can sit with Alfredo (waiter) and his assistant Katon you will get wonderful service. The Sommelier Arial is very good in Tuscan as well.  You can order from any of the 4 MDR menus - either look at the app or ask for the menus.  

I have attached a few pictures.  We always ask for our French Onion Soup to be put under the broiler to ensure it is crispy on top and really hot.  The steak is accompanied by a piece of salmon with the hollandaise sauce.  They are 2 separate dinners on the menu, but you can ask to have the salmon added to your steak order if you like.  They are very accommodating.  

We enjoyed the company of a few passengers that came to Tuscan for dinner, who usually dined in Luminae but wanted to try the MDR and they quite enjoyed the food and atmosphere. 

I hope our wait staff is still on board if you want to sit at their table.  When is your cruise?

AF8D96FF-1CF9-4027-892A-458F09781B9D.thumb.jpeg.a1b4e0df5497420b9cd1b47c64c74b4c.jpeg0A23B057-36B7-4B08-8D9E-C0767DC8DF50.thumb.jpeg.452c196d0ca45de22c0fca0191f74903.jpegBB7D870D-CEAC-4BFA-947E-7047882562B6.thumb.jpeg.1630c4216b5b8bfce053ce5d544a3fa7.jpegDA061B89-FBEC-4C79-B611-A6A1D75EFA4E.thumb.jpeg.08ecc0af429aba51058a516df28691ea.jpeg

Looks yummy.  We cruise in July.  We prefer a set time, set table, set waitstaff on a cruise…for us connecting with those same ppl is part of the experience.  Thank you for sharing the pictures.  Everything looks great.

20 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

So, are there essentially 4x the options of the M & S MDRs, or more like 2x as many?  

I assume you're all fairly familiar with the M & S MDR menu, where there is there are a few appetizers and a handful of rotating & regular entree options.  Is the E-class a noticeable larger selection of entrees (and maybe appetizers)?

From what I’ve read (a lot) is that there are 4 MDRS.  They all have the daily “specials” as well as the classics plus each has their own specialities.  But…you can order from any of them, so if you are in Tuscan and you want the grilled octopus from Cyprus you can get it.

2 hours ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

The E class ships have the same rotating daily menus and the Classic items just as on S & M class ships.

What is difference is that each of the 4 MDRs have Exclusive items.  These no not change and initially the items were only available in that MDR.  Of course that didn’t work as peopke wanted to hop around just so they could get a specific exclusive.  Now the exclusive items can be order in all 4.  If memory serves me there are 3 exclusive entree in each restaurant, 2 (maybe 3)

starters and same  for desserts.  Therefore there are more options every night, but the Classic & exclusives do not change. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

I've yet to do the Edge-class ships, but I got the impression that with four DISTINCT style MDRs, it would be most fun (for me, at least) to try each first - ie four different restaurants, but therefore four different servers and tables but whatever time I liked).

So, for the experienced E-class cruisers, how does the MDRs song and dance play out?  Is it the same set time vs anytime decision? And do they divvy folks up randomly to one of the four MDR? Or is there some process where you pick all that stuff out ahead of time?  

Clearly, to me, the "simplicity" of one MDR on the M & S ships is that you can easily get in the rhythm you like - same servers, same times, same table even - but with four distinct MDRs, wouldn't it mean you "miss out" on options from the other three MDRs when choosing a default or "regular" one just to get the same servers?  I sort of get - from @barneyboy - that you could go to the same MDR every day, but order across the four different menus, but are the MDRs so similar that folks do that? Or is there real additional "value" to eating at a new MDR each night or rotating through them?

I do think folks here discuss the specialty spots a lot, but the E-class "basic" MDRs seem equally as interesting having never dealt with them yet.

The other thing about visiting multiple MDRs, you may go to one and discover a 30-minute wait while another, a 30-second trip down the stairs, has no wait

• Like 2