LONDON ATTRACTIONS

2 hours ago, rhiannon84 said:

I have never had a card ‘skimmed’ in the UK, or elsewhere in Europe. It appears to be an issue that happens a lot in the USA? I think it’s a banking/security issue related to the USA’s system, so you can be more confident about using a bank card abroad.

I seem to recall that the heyday of "skimming" was when the primary method of verifying a transaction was swiping the card magstripe followed by a signature. In a skimming attack, the card was typically surreptitiously swiped through a reader that copied the magstripe details so that they could be written onto another, dummy, card. The dummy card could then be used for fraudulent transactions because it would have an exact copy of the magstripe of the genuine card, and the dummy card would therefore work if it was swiped through a POS machine. If a fraudulent staff member took your card away for several minutes before returning it with a slip for you to sign, that provided an opportunity for the "skimming" to take place.

Today, the card never leaves your sight. Normally, you just tap it on the POS machine and put it away again and nobody else touches it. If you have to insert it for the chip to be read and for a PIN to be entered, the staff will do it in your sight. As I've said, in many places the staff aren't even allowed to touch the card, and you must insert the card into the machine yourself and remove it yourself.

The security provided by modern systems means that magstripes are now pretty much completely redundant where contactless or chip-and-PIN are ubiquitous. Indeed, I see that at least Mastercard was planning to start phasing them out from this year (although I don't know whether this proposal is still on track): https://www.mastercard.com/news/perspectives/2021/magnetic-stripe/. And, of course, if you use your "card" via a smartphone or other device, it's already the case that no magstripe is involved.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2024 at 4:54 AM, LINDAE3213 said:

Here in USA business must accept cash as not everyone has a credit card.

This is absolutely not true. There is no US federal law that requires businesses take cash.  It's honestly getting hard to find places that take cash where I live. I had to get prepaid VISA cards for my kids just so they can buy things when we are out and about. 
I think you are making things much more complicated and difficult than they need to be. Just relax and have a good time. 

6 minutes ago, kebhouse said:

This is absolutely not true. There is no US federal law that requires businesses take cash.  It's honestly getting hard to find places that take cash where I live. I had to get prepaid VISA cards for my kids just so they can buy things when we are out and about. 
I think you are making things much more complicated and difficult than they need to be. Just relax and have a good time. 

Not only do all businesses where I live take cash (at least I have never run across an exception), but many actively discourage credit card use by adding a surcharge if you pay with a card.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

many actively discourage credit card use by adding a surcharge if you pay with a card.

Since 2018, it's been illegal in the UK to add a credit card surcharge. Applies whether the purchase is online or in person. 

In Canada it used to be illegal to add a surcharge if paying by credit card, but that was changed not very long ago. That said, I have not personally had any merchant do this to me. 

Thank you all for the earlier responses to my question on whether it is necessary to pre-book tickets.  It seems the recent responses regarding credit cards etc have gone a little off track, however.

2 hours ago, kflietst said:

It seems the recent responses regarding credit cards etc have gone a little off track, however.

Conversations do develop, and I think that this thread is accumulating a lot of useful information for visitors to London, particularly about how to book and pay for things.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kflietst said:

Thank you all for the earlier responses to my question on whether it is necessary to pre-book tickets.  It seems the recent responses regarding credit cards etc have gone a little off track, however.

Pre-booking became a necessity in the immediate aftermath of COVID when things began to open up but numbers were limited. I think most venues liked the idea of spreading out arrivals and kept it on, although with larger numbers. In places where demand is high, it helps avoid long lines to enter. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Harters said:

Since 2018, it's been illegal in the UK to add a credit card surcharge. Applies whether the purchase is online or in person. 

Well, it seems you live in a civilized country on a civilized continent. When I wrote that businesses here often have a cc surcharge, it actually is not only local businesses as if you owe the federal government taxes they allow you to pay by credit card, but add a surcharge.

I have a feeling that if cc surcharges were outlawed here, businesses would find a way around it by hiking the cost while giving a cash discount.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I have a feeling that if cc surcharges were outlawed here, businesses would find a way around it by hiking the cost while giving a cash discount.

That, as a 'reverse' surcharge, is just as illegal.

The big change behind the scenes here is that the credit card companies (specifically the merchant acquirers) have had a major restriction on what fees they can charge.  Given that handling cash cost money (especially in a business that is operating legally) the cost of card transactions are no longer way out of line with cash.

The side-effect is that credit cards that give points are now almost unheard of, as there is no excess-fees sloshing around in the system.  I think Amex is the exception, and suspect that they must still have higher fees (because of their charge-card history) but that this will be why they are not widely accepted.

Edited by fruitmachine

5 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

That, as a 'reverse' surcharge, is just as illegal.

The big change behind the scenes here is that the credit card companies (specifically the merchant acquirers) have had a major restriction on what fees they can charge.  Given that handling cash cost money (especially in a business that is operating legally) the cost of card transactions are no longer way out of line with cash.

The side-effect is that credit cards that give points are now almost unheard of, as there is no excess-fees sloshing around in the system.  I think Amex is the exception, and suspect that they must still have higher fees (because of their charge-card history) but that this will be why they are not widely accepted.

I am not defending any "reverse surcharge", only stating what I am seeing here.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2024 at 3:09 PM, ontheweb said:

Not only do all businesses where I live take cash (at least I have never run across an exception), but many actively discourage credit card use by adding a surcharge if you pay with a card.

The same here.  I pay in cash in some stores that I'd prefer not to use my CC, and always pay in cash while eating out.  My choice, of course, but it is my choice.  All of the businesses where I live do take cash.😉

On 7/5/2024 at 4:28 AM, Morgans said:

What about pre booking before you come and print out tickets in advance and bring them with you ?

I do plan on pre booking before I go to London once I have my air and hotel arrangements done., and will be printing out my tickets.  I'm also planing on ordering Oyster cards for DH and myself. 😉  We're planning on visiting in September, and I told my TA that so far almost all of September is empty on our calendar, so she can book whatever looks good!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Luckynana said:

I do plan on pre booking before I go to London once I have my air and hotel arrangements done., and will be printing out my tickets.  I'm also planing on ordering Oyster cards for DH and myself. 😉  We're planning on visiting in September, and I told my TA that so far almost all of September is empty on our calendar, so she can book whatever looks good!

I purchased online and printed the places I wanted to see while in London and also had the Oyster card.  I only needed money for restaurants.

See if Buckingham Palace is open while you are there.

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2024 at 2:06 AM, Luckynana said:

I'm also planing on ordering Oyster cards for DH and myself.

As all the locals on CC keep telling everyone, the Oyster Card is an unnecessary waste of money and more restrictive than the alternative.  Just use any contactless bank card, or Google Pay or Apple Pay on your phone or watch.

43 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

As all the locals on CC keep telling everyone, the Oyster Card is an unnecessary waste of money and more restrictive than the alternative.  Just use any contactless bank card, or Google Pay or Apple Pay on your phone or watch.

This local doesn't encourage people to use phones or watches to pay for travel on TfL services in London.

One of the most aggravating thing is being stuck behind someone doing that and taking 5, 10, 15 or 30 seconds to open the gate because they're using a phone or a watch to pay.

If you use an Oyster to pay as you go, you almost don't have to break your stride as you go through the gate. Contactless cards take something like 10 times as long to read, but usually they only involve a pause. Phones and watches, though, in the hands of people who don't know how to use them ... 🥵

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

in the hands of people who don't know how to use them ... 🥵

That's the key. If you have Express Transit enabled, and a current phone with current operating system, you will barely break stride either. I do this routinely in London and New York and have done it in Singapore (although they didn't use the Express Transit, at least two years ago). My phone comes out of my pocket instantly. My contactless card is (relatively) safely in my wallet. My delay is getting the card out...

• Like 1

I haven't figured out how to refer to a previous post but on the topic of London Attractions post #4 recommended "If you have the time, I highly recommend the "Jack the Ripper" tour...if you can, book with the "original" company.".   We just got home and of all the things we did in London this turned out to be one of our favorites, he was right about booking with the original company and so many sound the same- but the original was 15/pp, we prepaid and we met our group right outside the  Aldgate East metro station, they give you very detailed info on the meet up and what to do if you end up running a bit late. We saw several other groups being led about over the course of the evening and No one was having as much fun as we were. Ours was not a rehursed speal, he conversed and shared his love of the mystery, and made sure everyone felt part of the experience. We had Jeremy and I wish we had done this earlier in the week, as I would have booked any of the other tours he also leads, he was that exceptional. We also saw the other guy from this company and he was equally as popular with his group. Some groups we passed were insanely huge, and I could only be grateful for the advice on this thread on which one was the best. The Beefeater guide at the Tower of London is also really worth the time, try not to just dash things off the list of sights to see, let them bring you into what London was like in its time- you'll never forget it. (PS- our teen said these was his favorite memories of London)

Because it was early July we did prebook almost everything, and given the lines we encountered I am glad we went to the effort, London is incredibly popular and they try to keep the crowds spread out. We did find a lot of places did not take cash and a few that did not take a credit card if their machine was broken, and two of our taxis only took cash. We did not ever need a pin # for our c.c. A lot of places will only let you bring in smaller backpacks, not the usual U.S. size so if you take off a layer you often need to be able to tie it around your waist, they call their size rucksack. I think of it as more messenger size but we did take a couple fold up backpacks for those occasions. It was an incredible trip- yes, some planning, but you'll have more fun for being prepared. Have a great time.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

I am a convert to using a contactless bank card!   After stubbornly hanging onto my Oyster card for several trips over the last couple of years, when the balance was down to nearly zero on my last trip, I didn't reload it and started using a credit card.  It worked smoothly every time, and I didn't have to guess at an amount to reload onto the Oyster card.  I had thought I didn't want to handle my credit card on crowded public transportation, but I decided that was a silly worry.  

My Visitor Oyster card is now a nice souvenir - and it worked in the slot by the cabin door in place of my key card to keep the electricity on in the cabin. 😄

• Like 1