The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday June 8th, 2024

Today is National Best Friends Day, National Brain Tumor Awareness Day, and National Caribbean American HIV/AIDS Awareness Day

And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.--Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Meal Suggestion for today - Roasted Salmon & Asparagus with Sauce Gribiche
Drink of the Day - Sea Breeze
Wine of the Day - Viña Leyda 2022 Lot 21 Pinot Noir (Leyda Valley)
Destination of the Day - Kiritimati (Christmas Island), Kiribati

Today in History:
1969 MLB legend Mickey Mantle gives his farewell retirement speech during "Mickey Mantle Day" at Yankee Stadium, 60,096
1967 Attack on USS Liberty

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 15:00

Koningsdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Whittier, Alaska eta 06-09

Nieuw Statendam

Reykjavik, Iceland 07:00 - 19:00

Noordam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 06-09

Oosterdam

Civitavecchia-Rome, Italy 07:00 - 22:00

Rotterdam

Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland 07:00 - 15:00

Volendam

Boston, Massachusetts 07:00 - 15:00

Westerdam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island Canada 20:00 - 23:59

Zaandam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Zuiderdam

IJmuiden, Netherlands North Holland 07:00 - 15:00

0608Alaska.thumb.png.5679070806278ac0043639cab07e30ae.png

0608Atlantic.thumb.png.5f7296c03fab38e3be13a51feca80383.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 28

Sea Breeze cocktail:

A sea breeze is a cocktail containing vodka with cranberry juice and grapefruit juice. The cocktail is usually consumed during summer months. The drink may be shaken in order to create a foamy surface. It is considered an IBA Official Cocktail. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Vodka
Ingredients: 1 1/3 oz Vodka, 1 oz Grapefruit juice, 4 oz Cranberry juice
Preparation: Build all ingredients in a highball glass filled with ice. Garnish with lime wedge.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Lime slice

Screenshot 2024-06-08 at 6.17.18 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 22

Today’s Care List:

Denise T flying to Charlotte

Kazu with foot infection and having foot pain

Seasick Sailor with an ankle wound/infection, on antibiotics

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim with a fall and leg wound

Lazey1 recovering from Covid

Flooding and storms across the US, with loss of life

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

Vict0riann’s biopsy results

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues, medication allergy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Suslor!

Bon Voyage swin26!

Welcome Home Mr. Boston!

Welcome Home Mtn2Sea!

Cruzin Terri and DH in Barbados

Rafinmd’s church member Paul with pneumonia, discharged to home

Nickelpenny post back surgery, doing well, good report from surgeon

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Cruzn single (Westerdam June 9 to July 7) 28d Alaska Arctic Circle Solstice

1 day for Mtn2Sea (Cunard QM2 June 9 to June 15) 6d WB TA Crossing

6 days for Lady Hudson (Symphony of the Seas June 14 to June 21) 7 Night Bahamas & Perfect Day Cruise, with twin sister Karen

7 days for Himself (Eurodam June 15 to June 22) 7 Day Alaska Explorer

Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage), Luvteaching (Majestic Princess to June 9) Alaska Inside Passage, swin26 (Rotterdam to June 22) 14d North Cape & The Midnight Sun,  Suslor (Rotterdam to June 29) 21d Midnight Sun & Norse Legends, and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 21
  • Thanks 27

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte. 

78 this AM with a high of 92.

A good selection of days but not sure of the quote.

I love salmon so the meal works for me.

Mickey Mantle was a great player but could have been better but bad knees hampered him through out his career, he had a few other issues also.

Have a great day and stay well.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Cool and sunny this morning, another day to wear a jacket when walking Bertie.  There's a breeze, so I'll be hanging laundry on the line to dry.  Showers are predicted for this evening.

Three good days to celebrate. 

I'm not sure about the quote, it doesn't seem that way for me.

The meal and drink sound good to me, hope the wine is tasty too.

Prayers for so many.  I hope there are lots of reasons to celebrate.

Have a terrific day.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  We arrived bright and early in Ijmuiden, Netherlands and it looked like it could be sprinkling with totally overcast skies.  Very dreary!  But since then skies have been changeable with sunshine most of the time.  It’s very windy and the temps have hovered in the mid 50’s.  We’re hanging out here on the Zuiderdam while the passenger load changes over.  Things could get interesting very soon for DH and me.  We’ll see how long it takes before we’re discovered onboard by The Relatives.

Last night's Pinnacle dinner was fine for me, but DH made the mistake of ordering the supplemental 12 oz. lobster, steamed.  It appeared to weigh less than advertised and was rubbery and overcooked.  Lucky for him I can't finish the 8 oz. filet mignon so he got half of mine.  He won't make the lobster mistake again!

Thanks Rich @richwmn for today’s Fleet Report and Daily along with the fleet location maps.  National Best Friend’s Day sounds like a fine idea.  On the other side of the coin we have brain tumor awareness which is a very sobering subject.  The same with N. Caribbean American HIV/AIDS Awareness. ?? on the quote.  No thanks to the meal, drink and wine for me.  Thank you Debbie @dfish,  Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the Food and Beverage Department reports. 

It was a huge day in baseball history with Mickey Mantle’s retirement in 1969.  But the story behind the USS Liberty was shocking from what I read.  Here is a link to History.com on it:

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/israel-attacks-uss-liberty

Prayers today for all on the Care list.  Seems like new ailments and problems crop up every day but we want them to disappear.  Prayers also for DB and Alex’s twins, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the remaining hostages, and the troops in the region trying to keep us all safe.  Meanwhile, we do have some special events happening in our lives, and some cruising going on so congrats to all involved.  Bon Voyage to @Suslor and @swin26.  Welcome home @Mr. Boston and @Mtn2Sea!  And thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for her fine work on the Care and Celebration lists!

The port of the day is Kiritimati (Christmas Island), Kiribati.  This was the port twice before on May 12, 2021 and November 16, 2022.  We haven’t been to Christmas Island before so have no photos today.  Thanks in advance for any photos presented for Kiritimati, Kiribati.  Here are the links.

Hoping you all enjoy your Saturday!  Stay safe and keep well.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Another lovely morning. Last evening’s storms stayed well South of me, though I could hear the thunder booming from my place. Another hot one. Hoping for more breezes that make it tolerable. I have a tough time convincing Bindi to do short walks & stay on the grass. 

Vanessa, thank you for capturing & sharing what is going on in our lives.  Looking forward to reading what you are up to today. 

Gym, Bindi walks, early morning gardening and dinner at a friends.  

IMG_2969.jpeg.cfca523345cd45d52deaf42d9e1e355c.jpeg

IMG_2968.jpeg.962feeb323097cdf8b33622493c19444.jpeg

IMG_2959.jpeg.21406a053357f25e76327eccd40be8f1.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Especially the caretakers. Very special people. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Viña Leyda 2022 Lot 21 Pinot Noir (Leyda Valley)

This Pinot Noir from Chile sounds interesting, though it might be a bit too light for me. I prefer my Pinots to have more body. A 92 score from Wine Enthusiast, easy to find and reasonably priced. I just might need to taste this. Online prices start at $14.99.

Winemaker’s notes

In Leyda's coastal valley, just 4km from the Pacific Ocean, we craft unique wines with identity, passion, and expertise. As pioneers in the exclusive Leyda Valley, we showcase our commitment through the LOT line. From small polygons with limited production, Lot 21 exemplifies our dedication to expressing the best of Pinot Noir in Leyda's distinctive terroir. With a focus on identity, elegance, and complexity, these wines stand out as exceptional, reflecting our relentless pursuit of the finest expressions from this coastal haven.

WINEMAKING 

In Leyda's coastal valley, 4km from the Pacific Ocean, we're pioneers crafting fresh, identity-driven wines. Experts in the exclusive 2,000-hectare Leyda Valley, our passion for varietal excellence birthed the LOT line—unique wines exuding identity, elegance, and complexity. Sourced from small polygons within plots, these wines boast limited production, capped at 5,000 bottles per vintage. Lot 21 exemplifies our commitment to uncovering the finest Pinot Noir expression in Leyda's unique terroir. Our journey, marked by a relentless search for the extraordinary, results in exceptional wines that mirror our expertise and pioneering spirit in the heart of Leyda Valley.

TASTING NOTES 

Appearance: Ruby red.
Nose: This is a wine with identity. The nose is clear-cut, floral, with a profile of tart red fruit, like cherries and raspberries, along with notes of cassis, soft spices, a hint of mushrooms and some earthy notes.
Palate: It is fresh and tense with a firm spine and length, finishing with a vibrant juiciness that lengthens the palate.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 4

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Thank you for remembering the USS Liberty incident anniversary.

Have a Great Weekend!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone!  Thanks for the Daily Reports and Maps Rich!  Let's all celebrate our friends, especially of all them on CC.  Brain tumor awareness is important as is celebrating the progress in treating and stopping spreading of HIV for our Caribbean neighbors.  A dumb quote.  I will pass on the salmon but a Seabreeze and a Pinot Noir, I am guessing SA origin would be wonderful.   

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.   Prayers for Tana, Chuck, Terrie and Jim and Jacqui.  Prayers for everyone else in our group who are ailing or grieving.  Prayers for everyone in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the innocents in Gaza.

I am up bright and early because I go to bed earlier so I am not sitting as much at night.  So I go to bed and my back killed me in bed till 2:30, I dreaded getting out of bed and strangely it is pretty good.  We have set a date to go to Iron Mountain so I will go to Urgent Care or ER depending on how I am doing three days on because I go to 20mg prednisone tomorrow which is still a high dose.    My DB has been released to rehab, originally to be sent home the night of the surgery.  He was hospitalized until Friday and thankfully he is sent to the good one near his home where he recuperated all last Fall.  

Today is Belmont Stakes Day and it is unusual as it is a Saratoga Race Course in NY.   Belmont Race track has been tore apart for major rebuilding so the races are moved to Saratoga, the 1.5 mile race will now be a mile and a quarter at Saratoga.   Tickets on the secondary market are going in the $thousands.   I am picking Sierra Leone, my favorite in the Derby but will be happy if Seize The Gray pulls out another big surprise for his 88 year old trainer and his 500+ fractional owners.   Have a lovely Saturday!  Nancy 

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's FR&D.

3 important day's.

Our Sarah's best friends husband died last year after fighting a brain tumour for several years.

He and 2 others with brain tumours called themselves The 3 Tumours and raised hundreds of thousands of pounds for brain tumour research.

My late uncle was stationed at Christmas island and they witnessed the Atomic testing which affected most of the military personnel in later years.

I hope everyone is safe and well and having a nice day

Screenshot_20240608_122722.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 11

Thank you Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report and thank you to Vanessa for the Cares and Celebration List 

Thank you to the F&B Ladies—Debbie, Ann and Dixie for keeping us fed and hydrated.

i have not been to the port.

Excuse my absence yesterday.  We had communication issues here at the hotel.

No WiFi—in our room

No Telephone or TV

The WiFi has been fixed but not the other two.

So this is the plan for us today.  After breakfast Jim and I have to return to the Medical Facility to have his leg checked out.  Hopefully the Doctor will tell him that he will be able to go in the water. We will then go to the pharmacy at the supermarket next door and buy whatever bandages he will need, plus some snacks and some rum punch to bring home with us.  I also need a battery for one of my air tags.

We will return to the hotel and pack our belongings and will be moved to another room.  Unfortunately it is not on the ground floor.  I specifically asked for this when I booked the vacation.  The other rooms in this category on the ground floor are occupied so we do not have a choice.

I am not happy about moving but I do not want to be without phone service (important if there is an emergency) or TV (can do without, but we paid for it).

So another wasted day as far as i can see.

I am beginning to wonder why we decided to take a vacation. It has caused more problems than it seems to be worth.

On another note, we went to one of the sister hotels for dinner last night.  We had a lovely dinner at the waterfront.  It just took forever.  Our reservation was at 6:30 and we did not finish until 8:45.  A bit much.  

We have a few more days and hopefully things will improve.

Today is the Belmont Stakes, being held in Saratoga Sorings New York, if anybody is interested.   Belmont Race Track is under renovation.

Have a wonderful Saturday everyone.

God Bless

Terri

• Like 24
  • Thanks 11

Happy Saturday!!  And thank you for the Report!!

I love having Best Friends!!  A perfect celebration!!!  And when we remember illnesses and diseases, it's hard not to remember those, we know, or have known, whose lives have been affected by the same!!!

I met Mickey Mantle in an elevator in a Chicago Hotel.  I was a child, but Daddy reminded me about it a few times.  He let me hug him and put a kiss on his cheek!  Of course, I was a cute little blonde girl about 4 years old, with curls and fancy dresses and a pretty hat and gloves, back then!  And Daddy was in advertising, and he knew such people that he would use in his commercials...

I hope each of you have a wonderful day filled with great times and adventures -- or with a smile and peace!!

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. As @puppycanducruise said, it was a morning for a jacket when early dog walking was done. It was 58 with no humidity when I got up.I am sorry Texas and Arizona Dailyites, especially when I see how hot it is there even early in the am.

I have not experienced what the quote writer said! Quite the opposite!

The meal looks good to me and thanks to Debbie @dfish for that and the cake pictures. I am sure your DSIL enjoyed the special cake for her birthday.

DH and I lost two good friends at young ages to brain tumors. This was back in the days when neurosurgery sometimes caused more problems than the original tumor.There is a lot more hope today with better treatments. 
Our teenager wants to go with his girlfriend to the big Puerto Rican Day parade in the city tomorrow. She has two cousins who are dancing in their beautiful costumes and the whole family is going. Tana reluctantly agreed to let them go after we reminded her that she and her sister were going regularly into the city with friends by the time they were his age. I did hear that they are ramping up security and hope all goes well. 
We don’t have any available extra help this weekend so it is all hands on deck. 
Enjoy the day everyone!

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2

It’s a day of finishing packing and saying goodbye to our ship mates. Tomorrow we have a 11:30 AM flight to ATL and another 45 min flight home. If all goes well we should be home by 7:30 PM.

Rather grayish day outside but we did see a couple of whales. Last night’s late rain brought Saharan dirt with it so the ship needs a good wash down. 
First days at home will be busy with dental and dr. appointments, shopping and omg the mail and unpacking.

So that’s all folks! It’s over!

Thank you to all that make the Daily a part of our daily lives.👏

Bruce

• Like 32
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, everyone!

It is a bit nippy out this morning, but the sky is blue and the sun is shining.  At least for now.   Yesterday it couldn't decide what it wanted to do.  We are going to the Farmers Market this morning.  Last week they only had asparagus, radishes, flowers, and baked goods.  We are going for the asparagus and radishes.  Tonight a friend from high school is playing with a local band at a coffee shop, so I might go listen for a while.  

Today's meal sounds good to me.  I might make this without the sauce.  I can do both the salmon and the asparagus on the grill.  So, I guess we have to add on a stop at Jack's for the salmon.  Gribiche is a classic French sauce made with pantry items including capers, cornichons and Dijon mustard, plus fresh parsley and hard-boiled eggs. It's often served with cold meats or vegetables, but here we pair it with roasted fish and asparagus for a bright and acidic burst of flavor. Cornichons are little pickles.  Roasted Salmon and Asparagus

roastedsalmonwithsaucegribiche1.jpg.3ccbec6c84fd62d1c56a9019ccda115f.jpg

This is a slightly different recipe for the Gribiche Sauce.  Roasted Salmon with Gribiche Sauce

roastedsalmonwithsaucegribiche2.thumb.jpg.b16c5077ac330b109c8a761d8ec7dfe9.jpg

And one more take on the sauce:  Gribiche Sauce and Asparagus

roastedsalmonwithsaucegribiche3.thumb.jpg.3efcd21c7d1bce9ef2c878817e3a2ae8.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 21