Dropping Classic Drink and Wi-fi?

I recently dropped  (not changed) these classic packages which were included in the cruise price when I booked my future cruises. But I am seeing 0 reduction in prices for these cruises. When booking on line there is an option for booking with or without these classic packages included. So if you can book without, why is there no reduction in price when those classic packages are removed from the booking?

The AI inclusions are a package offered at the time of booking.  If you want to add or subtract them later, it is the same as creating a new booking, which - of course - would be at prevailing prices. 

If you simply called in and asked the AI items be removed from your booking, that's what would happen, and apparently did; no change in price.  You would need to price the cruise at today's price (assuming you're outside final payment) and see if today's price without perks is less than you're booked at. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 39august said:

I recently dropped  (not changed) these classic packages which were included in the cruise price when I booked my future cruises. But I am seeing 0 reduction in prices for these cruises. When booking on line there is an option for booking with or without these classic packages included. So if you can book without, why is there no reduction in price when those classic packages are removed from the booking?

If they were included in the cruise price why would you remove them if you hadn’t purchased them separately? 

If they were included there was no “line item” to refund. You would need to check what current price without the classic package would be to see if it is beneficial to change. 

I'm a little lost as to what you actually did? The packages are (were?) part of your fare. They're not an add-on or a line item that can be credited back. You'd have to reprice the cruise to truly remove them, and you could easily end up paying more to not have something than simply leaving it alone. 

Did you actually talk to a TA or someone at Celebrity? They should have told you that. 

I can see how it could be confusing.  Even with an AI in price, the add on to the cost is crazy given now it’s just drinks and wifi seems more of a convenience than a “deal” when you add it “Hey, add this now because you can.” I can see if you went and looked at your invoice you will see no specific line item, but since it’s only WiFi and drinks it definitely seems like you should be able to undo it just as you can upgrade to better packages. I realize it’s not how it works, but I can see how it seems like it.

27 minutes ago, 39august said:

Just became Zenith and didn't need them. Exercise in futility, since now no reduction in price. My TA did not explain that.

Time for a new TA.

You can’t switch from All Included to Cruise Only by having a price adjustment equal to the cost of drinks and WiFi. You would have to reprice at prevailing rates. There’s a chance you wouldn’t benefit from repricing to Cruise Only as that rate now may be higher than your initially booked All Included rate. Or if you’re past final payment it likely wouldn’t work either since you would be in the penalty phase. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 39august said:

Just became Zenith and didn't need them. Exercise in futility, since now no reduction in price. My TA did not explain that.

As I'm sure you must be aware, there are two separate base fares, Aways, which includes the basic wifi and classic beverage package as part of that fare, and Standard which is a cruise only fare which does not include those packages.

As mentioned by @Jeremiah1212, they are two separate booking fares with the wifi and beverage package buried into the fare with Aways.  As they are inclusive items, attempting to remove them is not going to adjust the fare downward.  What you are basically doing is trying to get to the Standard fare where they would not be included.  But as they are two separate fare bases, you would in essence need to cancel the Always booking fare that you used originally and rebook with the current Standard fare in price. 

At the time of placing a booking, unless there is some specific promotion equalizing the two, Standard pricing is always lower than Always.  In your case there may not be a reduction in price with this change as the prevailing Standard fares may be at the level the Aways was when you booked it.  Fares do go up!

That, or your intent to drop the packages, couldn't be predicted by your TA at the time you made your original booking while also not being Zenith.  What should they have explained to prevent this issue at the time?  Sorry, I'm a little confused.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

50 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

That, or your intent to drop the packages, couldn't be predicted by your TA at the time you made your original booking while also not being Zenith.  What should they have explained to prevent this issue at the time?  Sorry, I'm a little confused.

Not at the time of the original booking. They should have explained that what they were asking wouldn't reduce the price at this point. Not picking on the OP, but I think a lot of people don't realize that the AI is fare basis. Remember when they offered adjustments for Zeniths who no longer needed the Retreat package? The rates didn't drop by the retail cost of the PDP and Premium Wi-Fi, which seemed to surprise a lot of people.

37 minutes ago, markeb said:

Not at the time of the original booking. They should have explained that what they were asking wouldn't reduce the price at this point. Not picking on the OP, but I think a lot of people don't realize that the AI is fare basis. Remember when they offered adjustments for Zeniths who no longer needed the Retreat package? The rates didn't drop by the retail cost of the PDP and Premium Wi-Fi, which seemed to surprise a lot of people.

I interpreted the OP's comments with the TA as being something that they should have explained prior to them dropping the packages, perhaps when it was originally booked.  Explaining it after the fact is just that and would not be worthy of commenting on IMO.  But part of my confusion is with such an experienced cruiser not realizing that at the time they made the booking.  Not criticizing them, just curious.

But you and I are basically saying the same thing regarding the booking issue.

I assume the original poster is a Royal Caribbean Pinnacle who very recently became a status match Zenith so they aren't actually experienced with how Celebrity works. 

OK. I am looking at May and Nov. '25 cruises and believe I can save some $ by repricing my cruises without the packages. The ones in Oct. and Jan. are sold out or nearly so in my category, so I'll just let those ride. Thanks for the explanations. Yes Pinnacle to Zenith.. But Celebrity only since first cruise Dec. 2016.