bringing (bottles of) water on board?

Hello 🙂

I've seen a few older posts about my question, but I've also seen several answers which makes it very confusing. So I figured, I'll just ask!

I'll be sailing on Celebrity Silhouette this upcoming August, from Rotterdam, the Netherlands. Our tap provides safe and tasty (enough) drink water. But I know on a cruise ship, the water is different. Is it drinkable/safe to drink?

More importantly, can you bring bottled water or water in cartons with you on the day of embarkation? I read someone say that you can only bring an empty water bottle, but I also heard someone say that everything you are able to bring on your carry-on luggage is fine? Or that it might depend on the location?

I saw that you can order bottled water for your stateroom and I'll do that if I can't bring my own water. But if it's okay to bring my own, that would safe me quite a bit of money!

Thanks in advance 🙂 

15 minutes ago, sofienummer said:

Hello 🙂

I've seen a few older posts about my question, but I've also seen several answers which makes it very confusing. So I figured, I'll just ask!

I'll be sailing on Celebrity Silhouette this upcoming August, from Rotterdam, the Netherlands. Our tap provides safe and tasty (enough) drink water. But I know on a cruise ship, the water is different. Is it drinkable/safe to drink?

yes it is

More importantly, can you bring bottled water or water in cartons with you on the day of embarkation.  
yes you can

15 minutes ago, sofienummer said:

I read someone say that you can only bring an empty water bottle,

you may bring on but you are not limited to that.  When you bring your own water bottle, you may fill it at the dispensers in the Oceanview Café, but please don’t place it directly under the spigot. Fill a glass with water and then transfer it to your personal water container. That eliminates possible contamination.

• Like 1

We have always drunk the tap water as well as using a refillable bottle - hate seeing the amount of single use bottles in the recycle bins when the water is fine.  Some people will report swelling and attribute it to the water but a big part is the food in large preparation may have more salt than one is used to at home.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The water is perfectly safe on board to drink.  The entire crew survives on it 24 / 7 for months while at sea.  Reverse osmosis and steam evaporation are two methods that generate fresh water on board.  Tanked water on board is also another option.

We have also never had an issue bringing bottled water on board which is also available on board to purchase.

But it is certainly not necessary to try to bring you own water on board as an alternative to the ship water as that is perfectly fine and safe to drink.  It would not be feasible or practical otherwise for the thousands of passengers on board.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, SbbquilterUT said:

Some people will report swelling and attribute it to the water but a big part is the food in large preparation may have more salt than one is used to at home.

Agree and would think it more likely from the sodium content in the prepared food on board and not the water.

4 hours ago, sofienummer said:

Hello 🙂

More importantly, can you bring bottled water or water in cartons with you on the day of embarkation? I read someone say that you can only bring an empty water bottle, but I also heard someone say that everything you are able to bring on your carry-on luggage is fine? Or that it might depend on the location?

I saw that you can order bottled water for your stateroom and I'll do that if I can't bring my own water. But if it's okay to bring my own, that would safe me quite a bit of money!

Thanks in advance 🙂 

The water is perfectly fine to drink and it is ok to bring your own water if so inclined.

• Like 1

we drive to Port Ev usually, &  bring our own 6 pack of bottled water from the  Publix ( grocery store) .. plus  a mini Brita filtration pitcher.

We supplement with bottled water purchased on bd or ports..The  water in the Classic and AQ Class rms,  is not to our taste  and containers/ brands sometimes vary.

Important to hydrate..esp in the Carib.

• Like 1