Utopia braodway show

I have looked in many places including the RCCL website and cannot get a definitive answer if there will be a Broadway show.  I have heard rumors of Back to the Future and the RCCL website says that it will have Broadway style musicals.

Doeas anyone have an answer?

4 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

If the rumor is correct, Back to the Future would be a Broadway style musical.

https://www.backtothefuturemusical.com/

I'll believe it when I see it....but I am betting that in cost cutting efforts Royal may not be willing to pay the very hefty licensing fees for these broadway shows anymore. Many of the cruise lines have cut entertainment recently.

• Like 1

I still love the idea of full shows on the ships.  I can't believe however that they would pay the licensing money and the cost to mount a full production on a ship doing 3/4 night cruises where they want people out drinking and gambling, not sitting in a show for 2-hours when time is so limited.  Would be glad to be wrong, however ....

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Badatz2 said:

Are you saying that it will be the show on the Utopia?

No, I'm saying if the rumor of a Back to the Future themed show is true, it would likely be a "Broadway style musical" so I included the link to show that one already exists.

No one knows anything for sure until it is announced.

13 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

Whatever the plans were for Utopia, I suspect they may have been ripped up following the sudden departure of Nick Weir.

I highly doubt that. They spend a very long time to develop new shows & starting from scratch that late doesn’t seem feasible.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I highly doubt that. They spend a very long time to develop new shows & starting from scratch that late doesn’t seem feasible.

No need to start from scratch. Keep the second, smaller in-house production show, ditch the expensive musical and replace it with cheap headliners if required. 

2 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

No need to start from scratch. Keep the second, smaller in-house production show, ditch the expensive musical and replace it with cheap headliners if required.

Also highly doubt Utopia will launch with cheap headliners but we'll find out out soon enough.

I thought Back to the Future was rumored for the second Icon class ship, Star of the Seas. It makes sense that a big Broadway show would be on what is now the premium class of RCCL ships. With Utopia of seas only doing short cruises a production show is more likely. Whatever the shows are, they are now in rehearsal. One of the ice skaters for Utopia (Jordan Bauth) is posting youtube videos as she rehearses for the launch of the ship. 

On 6/14/2024 at 8:00 AM, OCSC Mike said:

They had the actual entertainment crew in training for a month in Orlando for one of the shows that was going to be on a Virgin ship before walking in one day and telling the entertainers they are cutting the production....sorry.

I highly doubt it would be "Back To The Future" since the show is still running on Broadway.  As awesome as it would be, getting rights to current Broadway shows are more difficult than shows that aren't on Broadway.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I highly doubt it would be "Back To The Future" since the show is still running on Broadway.  As awesome as it would be, getting rights to current Broadway shows are more difficult than shows that aren't on Broadway.

FWIW, this is the basis of the rumor AFAIK. Others went on to speculate it would go nicely with the 80's themed aqua show.

On 6/15/2024 at 12:55 AM, john bowtie said:

I thought Back to the Future was rumored for the second Icon class ship, Star of the Seas. It makes sense that a big Broadway show would be on what is now the premium class of RCCL ships.

Royal is done with Broadway style shows, as the licensing is too expensive and they aren't family-friendly enough. Icon has Wizard of Oz, to keep the rug rats entertained, but that's not something I would consider Broadway. They should stick to ice shows, aquatic shows and more cirque du soleil type entertainment.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SNemeth said:

It is an original Royal production called "All In" or something like that.  No other details from the person who had an inside source.  

I have heard this rumor as well.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, George C said:

jazz club

Most of the time the venue was empty and sparsely attended.  If I recall, wasn't that venue where the Adult Comedy shows were held.