Alaska Dressy/Gala/Formal nights

We are receiving conflicting information about Dressy/Gala/Formal night for a seven-day Alaska cruise. TA and HAL both "stated 7 days cruises have 2 formal nights and they are generally the 2nd and 6th nights of your cruise.  They did not say our Alaska cruise in particular has formal nights. The HAL Navigation App for our cruise states all 7 nights are smart casual.  Specific guidance would be appreciated.  Plus it will save a couple of bucks on my spouse's shopping.

Posted (edited)

Every 7 day cruise I have been on has 2 gala nights, including Alaska. The navigator app will have them closer to your cruise. They usually are the second and sixth nights if those are sea days. It would help to know which Alaskan cruise you are going on so that someone on board now could let you know which days they are on.

Edited by Stpatsirish
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Stpatsirish said:

Every 7 day cruise I have been on has 2 gala nights, including Alaska. The navigator app will have them closer to your cruise. They usually are the second and sixth nights if those are sea days. It would help to know which Alaskan cruise you are going on so that someone on board now could let you know which days they are on.

Perfect answer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Was confused by this too. The navigator shows all 7 nights as casual, but my final docs state that we have 2 formal nights. I expect them to be the 2nd and 6th, as those are both days we are not in a port (Inside Passage on the 2nd and Glacier or Hubbard) on the 6th. So we will see. 

Now the real question will be, are they serving anything in the Dining Room that makes it worth it to spend the 2 hours it generally takes for dinner. Over the years we have gravitated to the Lido, as we just don't want to sit through a 90-120 minute dinner. 

Edited by drowelf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, drowelf said:

Was confused by this too. The navigator shows all 7 nights as casual, but my final docs state that we have 2 formal nights. I expect them to be the 2nd and 6th, as those are both days we are not in a port (Inside Passage on the 2nd and Glacier or Hubbard) on the 6th. So we will see. 

Now the real question will be, are they serving anything in the Dining Room that makes it worth it to spend the 2 hours it generally takes for dinner. Over the years we have gravitated to the Lido, as we just don't want to sit through a 90-120 minute dinner. 

Ask to be expedited. We’ve been in and out for dinner in 45 minutes. I’ve watched tables move on in less. Just ask. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, drowelf said:

Navigator said that for my cruise as well until the first day of the cruise so I wouldn’t be bothered by that. All 7 day Alaskan cruises have the same menu and schedule so it will be the 2nd day and 6th day. 

Alaska is generally more casual, and when one worried woman approached the MDR hostess to ask about Dressy dinner, she was just told to relax, some people like to dress up, but it's completely optional and nobody is going to be shamed or turned away. Personally, if they're not going to give me free lobster or a real production show, I'm not going to bring dress slacks or shoes. Maybe I'll dress in hip hop gear, like the Step One dancer in the song "The Middle" that I've seen so many times in "Humanity" I can do all the moves to.  My lasting memories of the cruise was from beautiful scenery, Glacier Bay, and seeing humpback and orca whales within 20 feet of the ship and on a Juneau tour, which I was able to see outside and tolerate because I filled my suitcase with cold-weather clothing, not dressy clothes. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, boatmad said:

Dressy nights will be announced on Navigator once on ship.  Ignore the smart casual printing until then.

Its usually done before that...2 or so weeks before boarding.

• Like 1

We were on the southbound Glacier Discovery cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam at the end of May.  Dressy nights for us were on the second and fourth nights of the cruise.  The third night of the cruise was the orange party.

We dressed just a little nicer for dinner on those nights - dress pants and nice top for the ladies, and dress pants and a long sleeve button down for the men.  We each packed one pair of nicer pants with two tops. But we also saw people dressed more casually in jeans at dinner on those nights.  Alaska cruising is definitely more casual.

• Like 3

On 6/14/2024 at 12:43 PM, drowelf said:

Was confused by this too. The navigator shows all 7 nights as casual, but my final docs state that we have 2 formal nights.

The Navigator app always says smart casual every night until you board. It is just a placeholder. Many things on the app change once you board. Prior to boarding it is just boilerplate.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 10:04 AM, CruiserBruce said:

Its usually done before that...2 or so weeks before boarding.

Mine didn’t update until embarkation day on my cruise last week. So perhaps it can vary? 

36 minutes ago, lbcrosby said:

Okay so then if we want to dress up and we do go full on formal will we stand out?  I don't want to go the other direction and be too dressy.

If you wear a tux you stand out.   If you wear a tie, you will stand out.   If your goal is to blend in to the pack - wear a collared shirt with a sports jacket.   Ladies - wear anything sparkly and you will be fine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lbcrosby said:

Okay so then if we want to dress up and we do go full on formal will we stand out?  I don't want to go the other direction and be too dressy.

There will be lots of ties and jackets.  You will stand out if you wear jeans and might actually be turned away if you do so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lbcrosby said:

This really has a lot to do with the exact cruise.  The currently sailing Westerdam Legendary would be more formal, as is the 14 day one on the Noordam in September. Others for Alaska are really very casual. Never hurts to wear a good pair of pants and a nice longsleeved collared shirt. A sports jacket would be rarer to see.

After 20+ cruises I have now downsized my packing list and worry very little about dressing to impress! What was once considered “formal” is smart casual for us…as going to any decent restaurant at home.  Alaska or elsewhere, a cruise is vaca, so my wardrobe is relaxed too.  That doesn’t mean beachwear or hiking wear at dinner of course.  I find that cruise line sites usually say “suggested” wear for theme nights…not “required “ wear.

My food tastes the same, and service is the same no matter my outfit.  I have never been turned away from dining when I show up without my glitter. 😉

Due note that being on a cruise is a special time, so make it special in your own way.  Dress to the 9s to celebrate if that’s your preference, and feel comfortable about it!
 The photographers will LOVE to capture you at many points during a cruise, most especially pre-dinner and embarkation day!  This could be a chance to get that special shot you have for too long put off.

Enjoy the adventure!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

If you wear a tux you stand out.   If you wear a tie, you will stand out.   If your goal is to blend in to the pack - wear a collared shirt with a sports jacket.   Ladies - wear anything sparkly and you will be fine.

Remember when cruise ships had tuxedo rental shops on them?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kay S said:

Remember when cruise ships had tuxedo rental shops on them?

For some reason or another, I still have my cruise ship tux rental sizes listed in my cruise file.  It may be time to toss it.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Billthekid said:

For some reason or another, I still have my cruise ship tux rental sizes listed in my cruise file.  It may be time to toss it.

In some cases, our sizes may have changed! 😇

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2