Hiking shoes...

kajasmin

We have limited space- carry on only. We will be doing nugget falls and rainbird. Are proper hiking shoes needed? We often hike in tennis shoes but unsure the terrain. 

5 hours ago, kajasmin said:

We have limited space- carry on only. We will be doing nugget falls and rainbird. Are proper hiking shoes needed? We often hike in tennis shoes but unsure the terrain. 

Hiking shoes are not required when you follow the trail to Nugget Falls.  The trail was partially paved and the rest gravel infused dirt the last time I made the walk.

image.jpeg.925a174a62b67cf7e9a555ae30596347.jpeg

You could do Rainbird in sneakers. It's not very technical and fairly short, although it can be wet/muddy in spots. And watch out for some epically large slugs on the trail; you don't want to squish one of those suckers in your running shoe treads. Ask me how I know... yuck.

IMG_3473.JPG

IMG_3467.JPG

IMG_3475.JPG

These can both definitely be done in sneakers, but I do prefer to take waterproof hiking shoes in case of heavy rain or mud... and I've been glad I had them several times.

Another option if you have them is LL Bean boots.  I brought mine and hiking boots and I can say on the wet day in Juneau and hiking to Mendenhall I was glad I had my hiking boots.  The trail was muddy.  Several in my excursion weren't uncomfortable in sneakers but said they wished they had my waterproof advantage.  That alone was worth it.

Posted (edited)

I have done the trail many times. I bring Brooks Ghost GTX (Goretex) athletic shoes whenever I travel as they are waterproof (in case it rains or will be walking somewhere wet). I also wear them at home when it rains. So it wouldn't be an Alaskan only purchase. And Brooks are amazing athletic shoes.

I have been to Alaska a lot and have never brought hiking boots. I do not own hiking boots, I find them uncomfortable.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

Instead of hiking shoes, I'd even look at waterproof trail runners.   I own hiking boots, hiking shoes, trail runners.   Trail runners are my go-to on vacations as they are more sneaker-like and can be worn anywhere.  My current fave is the Merrell Moab Speed.  They are actually my everyday sneaker!

• Like 1

We have hiking sneakers, trail runners and hiking sandals.  I usually wear the heaviest shoe on the plane out.  My hiking sandals are closed toe and if needed, I do take a pair of hiking socks with me just in case.  Very good in sand, heat and water/mud.  I tend to use the hiking sneakers in AK and anywhere it's unpaved paths as they are waterproof and I don't slip in them.

• Like 1

For trail walks like these your ideal is a goretex trail running shoe type. Honestly Nugget Falls can be done in pretty much any footwear. 

For more serious hiking in Alaska I always bring my Goretex hiking boots which border on backpacking boots. The hiking I do is full of rougher terrain and the last thing I want on a solo hike is to twist my ankle and not be able to make it back to the ship in time.

• Like 1

Probably oddly, but I've found my hiking boots come in handy not only for hiking but for keeping my feet warm on glacier viewing days. We always stay outside for most of that, and it gets pretty cold near the glacier.

• Like 1