Tuxedos required?

Carol28

We sailed on the QE2 in 1999. At that time my husband needed a tuxedo. I have some questions about 2024 on Cunard ships. Does he still need a tuxedo? Is there a dance band every night for rock ‘n’ roll? Are there several different types of music on board or is it mostly classical? Do they have games during the day like the Princess and celebrity ships?

If you are in the Grills, 99% wear a tuxedo on Gala nights on a crossing.   It might be different on a cruise.   On the QM2, tuxes are the norm on crossing although some men wear kilts and have see a few in their military dress uniforms.

• Like 1

Tuxedos aren't essential but make gala nights easy to handle. Dark suits is next best, quite a few men will wear that instead, so if he was in a dark suit he will be fully inside the dress guidelines.

There is usually a party band on Cunard ships which cover the period from Elvis Presley to Taylor Swift, but often is in the middle section of that time period. You may well first encounter this if there is a sailaway event (depends on venue, timing and weather). They will then make appearances every so often.

This is a wide range of music performed or sent as recorded music. Always some classical musicians, almost always some folk musicians (which tend to be very popular), always a dance band for Latin and Ballroom with things like songs from the shows and movies, with live music vocalists. There's always a disco to end every day in G32 / Yacht Club etc. Pianists (e.g. Commodore Club). Almost always a jazz ensemble. Soloists on harp or cello (etc). Sometimes there will be something like a soul trio or quad, perhaps taken from one the big musical shows. The only area which I feel is a bit missing is more up to date areas such as Indie, Grime, Rap, HipHop, R&B (and I write as an Old Age Pensioner who like this music but I know I'm a minority there!). Hopefully some of that is on Queen Anne, which I haven't experienced yet.

There is a large provision of games on board, all the household names such as Monopoly, Cluedo, Battleships, special provision for Bridge. Beware of lethal jigsaw players, they don't mess about. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carol28 said:

Do they have games during the day like the Princess and celebrity ships?

We seen Trivia in Morning, Afternoon and Early Evening

Also Snowball Bingo to mention some...

There is on the QM2 in the Morning and Afternoon Bridge Games and Classes

7 hours ago, Pushpit said:

Tuxedos aren't essential but make gala nights easy to handle. Dark suits is next best, quite a few men will wear that instead, so if he was in a dark suit he will be fully inside the dress guidelines.

There is usually a party band on Cunard ships which cover the period from Elvis Presley to Taylor Swift, but often is in the middle section of that time period. You may well first encounter this if there is a sailaway event (depends on venue, timing and weather). They will then make appearances every so often.

This is a wide range of music performed or sent as recorded music. Always some classical musicians, almost always some folk musicians (which tend to be very popular), always a dance band for Latin and Ballroom with things like songs from the shows and movies, with live music vocalists. There's always a disco to end every day in G32 / Yacht Club etc. Pianists (e.g. Commodore Club). Almost always a jazz ensemble. Soloists on harp or cello (etc). Sometimes there will be something like a soul trio or quad, perhaps taken from one the big musical shows. The only area which I feel is a bit missing is more up to date areas such as Indie, Grime, Rap, HipHop, R&B (and I write as an Old Age Pensioner who like this music but I know I'm a minority there!). Hopefully some of that is on Queen Anne, which I haven't experienced yet.

There is a large provision of games on board, all the household names such as Monopoly, Cluedo, Battleships, special provision for Bridge. Beware of lethal jigsaw players, they don't mess about. 

Beware lethal [euphemism for downright unpleasant] Bridge players too. Some don't seem to realise The Town Clock is not up for grabs and they're onboard a ship with different nationalities playing the same game but with different nuances in their play,

7 hours ago, Pushpit said:

My dad is one of those jigsaw players. We sail four weeks from today and I’ve already had gentle words. He’d literally stay up all night doing a jigsaw, and regularly does! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jules. said:

My dad is one of those jigsaw players. We sail four weeks from today and I’ve already had gentle words. He’d literally stay up all night doing a jigsaw, and regularly does! 

They are located on Deck 2 Port Side next to the RC Theater. Those are Game style tables with boxes of different entertainment. And a GREAT view of the Sea both in Beautiful & Challenging Wavesssssssssss......lol